Alternative facebook group "Voron 3D Printer Uncensored"

Tim Long

Hi everyone. I was a little upset the other day when the admins of the Voron COREXY 3D Printer group threw their toys out of the pram and suspended the group for the weekend. I really don't like being found collectively guilty when I've done nothing wrong, so I thought "I'm not having that" and created my own group. You are cordially invited to join me at https://www.facebook.com/groups/voron3dprinter if you wish.

Let's build a community where it's OK to voice your opinion even if it is against the popular narrative and you are explicitly allowed to criticise the Voron devs, vendors, even the group admins, as long as you don't make personal attacks and try to act with integrity and within the law.

I have a very "hands off" moderation policy and basically rely on other members reporting problematic posts, which will be dealt with automatically. I am in the Elon Musk school of free speech absolutism.

Hope to see you there. I'll be looking for some volunteers to become co-moderators so let me know if you are interested.

--Tim

Edited by Tim Long
Changed group URL
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GarthSnyder said:

Just out of curiosity, what was the subject of the original blowup that caused the group to be paused? I'm not asking for names and salacious details, just for a top-level description of what happened.

I actually don't know, the announcement came out of the blue for me and I was so annoyed at being told that I'd been very naughty that I never bothered to look. After I announced my group over on Discord, someone appearing to be one of the admins posted to the effect that he needed a weekend off to clear his head.

I've been moderating groups on various platforms for at least 20 years and I've just never had that many problems. I can only remember ever having to ban 1 person in all that time. I think some moderators just are too controlling or have unreasonable expectations.

Edited by Tim Long

Imagine getting yelled at for posting a model that you made to Thingiverse. What opensource?

I think they’re trying to monetize and are frustrated at their lack of options.

Whatever. it’s 3D printing. I’ll download and use as long as it’s “free”, but I’ve definitely been burned several times by the Voron community. It’s borderline cult now. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the TeamFDM community 😃

I hope that you find our little niche on the web a great place to have open discussions, and be able to contribute back to the greater good of the Voron 3D printing community. TeamFDM.com is not in anyway connected or supported by the Voron Design development team.

As the forum admin, I try hard to ensure that we are a fair and balanced, but positive community that supports and encourages our hobby. I am glad to have you on board, and I hope you will find our community worth being involved in at a greater level 😃 

• Like 2

TBH building a Voron, or any printer from almost scratch, isn't for the faint of heart (even if it seems easier the second time). Naturally this will attract total nerd types too, besides "normal" people who do have a life. This isn't specific to 3D printer communities though. Try asking "n00b" questions on any Linux forum (it's cost them blood, sweat, toil and tears to get their first distro running so you are not getting a freebie).

I'm here because I have an aversion for FB and the sorts. I'm not fond of the chaotic "chat" nature of Discord.
This site on the other hand and the people on it are very pleasant. I also like how well made and well organized it is.

• Like 2

The "jump on the n00b because they dare to ask a question" is why I usually don't bother to ask questions. The attitude that some people have totally floors me when the response isn't an answer, but rather some demeaning comment.

Here you can ask a question and get an answer back if you can wait. The last time I asked a question here, I continued doing research, figured out the problem, and then added the answer to my "question" for other people. Life is an attitude... 🙂

• Like 1

I've built many printers from enders to hypercubes and many others and the reason I'll be sticking with voron is the community. If you're patient you'll get amazing help or they will teach you how to get the answers for about future stuff. I feel so free in their discord because the community is so great. You'll always find that few that are just annoying and uptight but that's too be expected when there's so many options and ways of doing things

• Like 2

• Tim Long changed the title to Alternative facebook group "Voron 3D Printer Uncensored"

I can't say that I have had any problems with the group though I tend to research and try and resolve the problem before posting a question.  However I can understand the frustration, I was helping a guy solve his problem and had to google around a bit and read some to understand it and come up with a solution and his response was "thanks, I was too lazy to look it up myself".  So after that I too can be added to the bunch that is a bit jaded about helping someone who shows a message saying that the klipper on their mcu is out of date and needs to be updated then asks what it says ... 😉

I really haven't run into issues with the community myself. I've found it to be helpful and friendly. But then, I tend to try to research and figure out the issue before asking questions. Then give a quick rundown of what I tried and where I'm stuck; that tends to get good responses. I have seen technical communities that get a bit short with the "too lazy to look it up myself" kind of thing--particularly the Linux community. Then you usually get a "RTFM!" response. Anyway, best of luck with the FB group.

• Like 2