Revo - Voron Now Available

Demosth

About 7 months ago the Voron Design team started doing work working on creating their "own" design for a hot-end. When starting this process the Doc from the Voron Design team reached out to E3D and discussions started happening prior to the beta announcement of the Rev Hot ends. E3D hinted early in the design process prior to the announcement of the Revo hot-end from E3D, very specific requirements. 

The design of the Revo Voron was lead and really produced by Wile.e from the Voron Design Team. This is an open source design and will be releasing the on the GPL3 license.

The Revo Voron Features the lightest heatsink in the Revo family of hot ends

1. Revo Six - 18.945g
  2. Revo Micro - 11.625g
  3. Revo Voron - 7.150g or 10.45g with mounting screws.

Purchase Options

I am looking forward to trying out the Revo Voron and hope to see many updated around this light and simple to use hot end in the future!

https://e3d-online.com/blogs/news/revo-voron-available-now

Nero3D did a quick recap of the Revo-Voron Here:

More information on the DataSheet - 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mark Roberts said:

The datasheet is unclear about the wiring.  It says 1m of cable is provided to wire back to the motherboard but doesn't specify what.  Is the wiring back to the motherboard PTFE insulated wire?  Safe for drag chains?

PTFE is good with drag chains - my V2.4 350 has it for all the tool head wiring with 500 trouble free printing hours in so far using 2.1 kilometers of filament (which isn't that much - my other printer has close to 20 kilometers of filament through it).

If you're using a tool head PCB, you can terminate it right there and have a couple of meters of wire as spares.

11 hours ago, Mark Roberts said:

The datasheet is unclear about the wiring.  It says 1m of cable is provided to wire back to the motherboard but doesn't specify what.  Is the wiring back to the motherboard PTFE insulated wire?  Safe for drag chains?

I received my Revo Voron yesterday; as far as I can tell there is no wiring supplied to connect to the motherboard; unless I missed it somewhere in the small package.

Don‘t expect any increase in print quality or speed/performance! The main advantage of this hotend is the more efficient heating design, the tool-less nozzle change and the reduced weight off course.

The max volumetric flow is definitely less than with a Dragon SF; while the Dragon prints my infills at 13,9 m3/s (although with light signs of under extrusion) the Extruder starts skipping using the Revo with exactly same slicer settings.

I have changed back to the Dragon for now, was not in the mood to tune the whole printer again at this moment.

Cheers!

Edited by ajscheid
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ajscheid said:

The max volumetric flow is definitely less than with a Dragon SF; while the Dragon prints my infills at 13,9 m3/s (although with light signs of under extrusion) the Extruder starts skipping using the Revo with exactly same slicer settings.

This is very interesting! Do you feel like it is a downgrade from the Dragon SF? Realistically speaking is the increase cost of nozzles, less nozzle options and printing performance worth investing in a Revo-Voron?

I don’t have any hands on experience so these are questions I am bcc asking myself as well!

3 minutes ago, Demosth said:

This is very interesting! Do you feel like it is a downgrade from the Dragon SF? Realistically speaking is the increase cost of nozzles, less nozzle options and printing performance worth investing in a Revo-Voron?

I don’t have any hands on experience so these are questions I am bcc asking myself as well!

My personal opinion; at this very moment I would say it is a downgrade from a tuned printer using the Dragon SF. i am using the Elli‘s print profile without any changes and am happy with the results. With the Revo I will have to tune everything from scratch and still would have a reduced printing speed.

That said, Elli‘s profile is tweaked for speed and you may be happy with the Revo and a more conservative speed profile.

As long as there are not more nozzle options I will stick to the Dragon and put the Revo aside.

Btw, 

the Revo Voron is supplied with Leads to the board and a piece of PTFE tube. Cable material is nothing fancy at all;

Heater cable is 20 AWG „ FTI Triumphcable“; whatever that might be, same as thermistor which is 22 AWG.

image.jpg

• Like 1

LOL, I just took a picture of mine, but @ajscheid beat me to it. That cabling is what comes with the Revo Voron. Mine arrived yesterday afternoon. The heatsink is small, but very nicely-machined. The new Revo will be going into my Trident, and the Micro currently in it will move to my Prusa Mini. It's busy finishing up an OpenRC project right now, so that will wait until next week some time. It also needs to print its new home.

For the Stealthburner tool head, the Revo wiring pigtails are perfect, no modification needed at all. I suspect Afterburner is about the same. You just run your PTFE harness wires as normal and terminate with the appropriate plugs.

I only have experience with the Revo on my Trident. It's not a speed demon, though I feel I could squeeze out a bit more. It does seem a bit faster than the Mini. The print quality is excellent. I'm getting amazing quality on the current project, and excellent overhangs with the PLA. Since I don't care about #speedboatraces I'm happy with it so far.

As for nozzles, that is a limitation. You just have the brass ones right now; AFAIK just 0.25, 0.4, 0.6, and 0.8. Obxidian is coming for abrasives. No idea about any high flow, but I'd be surprised if they didn't have something in the pipeline. I do like the quick change, and the integrated nozzle+heatbreak. It really is as easy to swap nozzles as the advertising claims. Get it cool, spin out the old one, spin in the new one, heat up and print. No tools, just fingers. No leaks; the first butt joint is at the top of the cold side heatsink to the PTFE tube in your mount.

• Like 1

If I were building from scratch, I'd be really tempted, but I must say it's a hard sell getting rid of my tungsten carbide nozzles, I'm kind of addicted to the things, and given how much material you'd need to make a TC Revo nozzle, I don't see those happening 😉 Unless they start making some bimetallic Revo nozzles...

• Like 1