Lemon's to lemonade?

Hey team, 

Newer member here with an unusual situation. My 35th Wedding Anniversary gift was a formbot 350mm 2.4 (R1) kit. Which I am excited for. But life has handed me some lemons and I am hoping to make lemonade. I guess what I am about to ask will sound crazy and off the wall. Also can we please keep this conversation related to the project at hand and not about the lemons? This situation is what it is and I will get through it. Inhales deeply. Do you think it's possible for someone to build a voron while recovering from a major surgery? lets just say a surgery in which they have to split the ribcage open.  Obviously, I will have someone help me with any lifting over 10lbs or if it feels uncomfortable I wont be doing it.

I figure I will have a lot of free time on my hands and will need something to distract my mind. Any thoughts on what could be the most challenging and how to work around it? I am thinking about doing a build thread. 

2 minutes ago, GalvanicGlaze said:

I'm thinking the hardest part would be flipping the printer to work on the electronics. Might need to look into a reversed electronics bay. Pretty sure someone made one for the 2.4. I know 100% the Trident has one made by Logon 

I was thinking that will be a challenge. I am pretty sure I could get my son to come help with that portion. 

I wish you a speedy and well recovery. I live ~45 minutes outside Tokyo so I doubt I would be able to help, with shipping costs being what they are, but could you post your general location so others may se it it's feasible to assist?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, rkolbi said:

I wish you a speedy and well recovery. I live ~45 minutes outside Tokyo so I doubt I would be able to help, with shipping costs being what they are, but could you post your general location so others may se it it's feasible to assist?

Thank you. Appreciate the offers to help. But worst case I'll build this thing once I am fully recovered. 

The Voron process involves alot of reading and learning. And the more you do of that before you build the easier the experience will be. Chest surgery is probably going to leave you not wanting to do this for the first 5-6 days... after that I don't see any issue as long as you follow doctor's orders. It's not very physical work; the worst for you will be getting 'that damn tool' you forgot downstairs...😉

• Thanks 1

Agree with Simon. Lots of reading. Lots and lots. And watch video builds on you tube.  I e been building on mine for awhile now. Between work and my mini farm, the time I have spent is 20 percent building, 80 percent reading , rereading, and reading again and the watching video builds and then building while watching the video and rereading what I’ve already read. The other 100 percent of my time I’m right here either asking questions or reading others questions or build logs. Speedy and complete recovery to you. 

• Thanks 1

Like the others said, there's plenty of reading and learning to do that will keep you busy at first. Watch the many hours from Nero 3D and Steve Builds to see how they do things, I picked up a ton of tidbits that made my (first) build a lot smoother. i did build to spec, and have since been happily modding away.

Here's to a speedy recovery.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, claudermilk said:

Like the others said, there's plenty of reading and learning to do that will keep you busy at first. Watch the many hours from Nero 3D and Steve Builds to see how they do things, I picked up a ton of tidbits that made my (first) build a lot smoother. i did build to spec, and have since been happily modding away.

Here's to a speedy recovery.

I've been watching Steve Builds. Love his videos. Straight clean assembly without filler. Since I doing the formbot kit I have also been watching the Porcupine of The Connoisseur's videos

So far I have my ACM panels, Clicky probe and sexbolt ready. Printed Parts are coming from West3D (no shipping yet) and the kit is still stuck in china (covid lockdown). Got the date of my surgery today Apr 11th. I could get lucky and have my frame assembled prior to surgery. That would be nice. 

Edited by Fantastic_layers

4 hours ago, OneStepAhead said:

Im not sure you can use FFC with ercf, but maybe? I think you'd still need to run some wires. My other issue with FFC is the 100w max heater, I have Rapido which goes higher than that. 

So what I have read so far it looks I'll just need 2 wires for toolhead filament sensor if I use an Easy board for the ERCF. so the FFC mod should work.  as I am planning dragon HE the 100w max heater doesn't concern me (for now)

On 3/23/2022 at 12:23 PM, Fantastic_layers said:

So what I have read so far it looks I'll just need 2 wires for toolhead filament sensor if I use an Easy board for the ERCF. so the FFC mod should work.  as I am planning dragon HE the 100w max heater doesn't concern me (for now)

I was more thinking about the Afterburner 3.2 ERCF PCB, and how that would work with FFC. I don't see how you'd be able to do it...

• Like 1

Formbot kit will be here tomorrow. It was delayed by the covid lockdown by about a week. Printed parts were ordered from west early march no eta on them yet. sadly wont get to open that kit until Thursday as I am going on a work trip. Then this weekend picking my daughter and newest granddaughter up at the airport. We flew down for her birth but I had to come home after a week and let the wife stay until she showed up. Don't want to have this surgery without meeting her 1st. surgery is 2 weeks from tomorrow. Hoping to  sort parts into assembly bags my 1st week home from the hospital. They say I should be able to return to work in 6-8. So I have a lot of printer time coming up once I can get to it. Patience is not one of my virtues and one of the reasons I need surgery. Maybe I should work on that too 😉