Beacon Contact

Just updated the two printers with the  "beacon contact"  feature - basically auto - Z function.  How different can two printer experiences be?

Printer 1 - Micron 180 - Beacon Rev D - Revo Voron hotend. Updated and installed as per beacon documentation. Did a Beacon_auto_Calibrate, sliced a print and away we go - nearly perfect first layer. Slight tweaking to the macro section for heat compensation of the hotend. (changed from 0.06 to 0.05)

Printer 2 - VZBot 330AWD with Dragon UHF hotend - updated and installed as per beacon documentation. Did a Beacon_auto_Calibrate, sliced a print and away we go - near disaster - could not get the print off the build plate (still stuck there - thinking Gooooodbuy plate!). Squished to death! Luckily have spares (yes I do and more than one) Ran several prints and had to adjust the offset in the macro to 0.20 initially.

SET_GCODE_OFFSET Z=0.20     ; add a little offset for hotend thermal expansion. ; needs fine tuning, long meltzones require more   #was 0.06. 

"little offset" they say - WTF?   Whewww - at these settings - print released from plate, but far from perfect. Some more tuning to do.

• Like 1

For the VZBot 330 AWD with a Dragon UHF nozzle - the Z-Offset compensation tuned into 0.225. Going to attempt a print at these settings - will update tomorrow with results.

BTW - don't have a nozzle scrub on the VZBot or Micron as these damaged the probes. Looking at silicone brushes.

2 hours ago, mvdveer said:

How different can two printer experiences be?

Now you know why they released a few hours before the end of may @Penatr8tor? Now your magical bacon contact experience 🙂 Oh, and if you can please post a bacon-tap-the-egg video? I have been looking for 3 days and haven't seen any, YET 🙂

And I can assure you, it is all not magic as they want you to believe. It is nice. But differs from printer to printer, pei plate to pei plate, magnet below the plate, nozzle, extruder... so.. not that magic all of it 🙂

But it comes close.

30 minutes ago, Dirk said:

Now you know why they released a few hours before the end of may @Penatr8tor? Now your magical bacon contact experience 🙂 Oh, and if you can please post a bacon-tap-the-egg video? I have been looking for 3 days and haven't seen any, YET 🙂

And I can assure you, it is all not magic as they want you to believe. It is nice. But differs from printer to printer, pei plate to pei plate, magnet below the plate, nozzle, extruder... so.. not that magic all of it 🙂

But it comes close.

Here's what four decades of design for manufacture and product development has taught me. Nothing is 100% and experiences will vary. Learned there was no magic many years ago so, nothing new and not surprised. I wasn't really expecting magic to begin with.

With that said... From my observations there will be cases where the "Contact" capability will be very useful and where it won't be so much. I think it has value for most setups with a magnetic sheet and coated steel build plate.

If you swap build plates a lot, the height compensation will be a benefit. Same goes for using the same build plate but with different materials. The difference between 110c and 65c on my VzBot is 0.08mm meaning I have to adjust. I can also see it being a benefit on printers that need to do a QGL or Tilt to level the bed, as the process could be significantly accelerated.

And lastly, if you're going to use the nozzle as a probe... you can't have any ooze getting in between the tip and the bed, just like you can't have chips on your Z probe on a CNC mill. Nature of the beast. Even with TAP on my 2.4, I run a hard nozzle and lightly run a file under the tip to assure that it's clean. Even though I'm not going to use a Beacon on my Voron refurb, using Mellow CNC TAP, I will use the file the tip method and will also do a nozzle scrub.

@mvdveer I ordered myself a couple sets of Bambu Lab silicone scrubber pads (2x sets of 3) to replace the brass plated steel brush I was using in the past. I just need to modify the existing design to accommodate the new brush. QR code on box takes you to Bambu labs homepage.

V2.4_Refurb-Scrubber-72.thumb.jpg.c12f89c683f438fbe22d732d203a26f9.jpg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, mvdveer said:

Looking at silicone brushes.

Or you can get it here. There are several printables on printables if you type voron bambulab brush. Or of course wait for the engineered version @Penatr8toris about to pull out of his hat 🤠

Or you can be cheap like me and print one yourself this style 🙂 

Edited by Dirk

That's really a cool deal.

Unfortunately the prices of goods, when they ship to Europe, or triple. This is the case since 2020, when people were ordering a lot of goods, and the Chinese were declaring for example a TV screen of 600 euros as 12.50. Because it was below the limit of the tax amount. Now we good european citizens ( I know whole of europ fits in Texas), have to pay a variable amount of 'administration costs' for every postal package (+- 10-25 euros) and the regular 19-21% taxes. Above an amount of 200 euros we even pay an 'additional import cost' of 15%. 

Also since the start of COVID, or the Russian/Ukrainian war, our shipping costs have increased with about 250%. 

bambulab.thumb.jpg.4753191a170a987223b83e6b089f5a06.jpg

I did not create an account with Bambulab to see the shipping costs, but it will be at least 10-12 euros. So what costs 1 dollar for an American, costs 16 for a European. 

I believe the situation is not very different for @mvdveer.

But anyway.. As long as we are having fun 🙂

5 hours ago, Penatr8tor said:

I ordered myself a couple sets of Bambu Lab silicone scrubber pads (2x sets of 3) to replace the brass plated steel brush I was using in the past. I just need to modify the existing design to accommodate the new brush. QR code on box takes you to Bambu labs homepage.

On to it - thank you. QR took me to Bambu labs wiki, but ordered some from the Australian Bambu labs store.

• Like 1

Got both the printers with the Beacon Contact tuned in, and working really well - very good consistent first layers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mvdveer said:

Got both the printers with the Beacon Contact tuned in, and working really well - very good consistent first layers.

Awesome. I'll probably load the contact software and setup tonight. I'm also going to update the scrubber geometry to work with the Bambu Labs silicone brush pads. My only concern is how well the adhesive sticks to a printed surface.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I also ordered some of the roller type scrubbers (X1 Carbon spare parts). Based on Bambu's description it uses a PTFE aka Bowden tube. I'm thinking this could be replicated or even refurbished with a new piece of tube if it wore out pretty easily. Price was within a dollar of the scrubber pads. Decontaminator Mod

image.thumb.png.aa91791489830ece2b5abf0315f29f16.png

Edited by Penatr8tor
Forgot something...
  • Like 2

This is what my printers needed to be truly complete. I can now switch from smooth PEI to textured, single sided to double sided, switch nozzles, switch whole hotends and never have to manually recalibrate any offsets.

It just works and I feel like I have taken a giant step into the future of 3d printing.

I have to admit I was worried it was going to be underwhelming but I was dead wrong. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Penatr8tor said:

if your pocket can take the hit @Dirk.

I explained before, it's not can't. It's don't want to. I'll print the shoe wiper and see if I can have a made by Dirk wiper on Dirks printer 🙂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dirk said:

I explained before, it's not can't. It's don't want to. I'll print the shoe wiper and see if I can have a made by Dirk wiper on Dirks printer 🙂

That's why we're here right? ...and as I have said before, Inventing and printing up your own solution is a huge part of the hobby.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with. 🙂👍

I might end up with a Dirk design in one of my printers.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Penatr8tor said:

@mvdveer Welp, That's the thing about good ideas... Chances are someone has already beaten you to it.

I found a scrubber mod on Printables. This should do the trick. SCRUBBER

image.png.4768e4917f3d06f4d38079093fe07128.png

And naturally, there's a remix for the Trident already done. 😁

• Like 2