Foam tape

golddustpeak

While waiting for my Formbot kit to arrive I've been studying the manual(s) in an attempt to get everything together that I need.

One or two of the BOM items state foam tape single sided and double sided 1mm and 3mm.

It seems to me to be far from clear as to the needed width and thickness of the tape that they are calling out.

Can anyone please clear this up for me.

TNX

23 minutes ago, golddustpeak said:

While waiting for my Formbot kit to arrive I've been studying the manual(s) in an attempt to get everything together that I need.

One or two of the BOM items state foam tape single sided and double sided 1mm and 3mm.

It seems to me to be far from clear as to the needed width and thickness of the tape that they are calling out.

Can anyone please clear this up for me.

TNX

My kit had 1mmx8mm foam tape. The sides require 3mmx8mm foam tape which was not provided in the Formbot kit I received. I found 3mmx8mm tape on Amazon.

My formbot kit only came with 1mm foam tape and it wasn't enough, it did everything but the front doors. (I did everything with 1mm but had to print some extra small panels clips)

Yeah its not really clear anywhere were the foam goes. You'll definitely know when installing the panels which ones need the 3mm as the panels clips are bigger. I beleive its the side panels.

On 3/18/2022 at 9:46 PM, GalvanicGlaze said:

My formbot kit only came with 1mm foam tape and it wasn't enough, it did everything but the front doors. (I did everything with 1mm but had to print some extra small panels clips)

Yeah its not really clear anywhere were the foam goes. You'll definitely know when installing the panels which ones need the 3mm as the panels clips are bigger. I beleive its the side panels.

The top and back panels require 1mm thick tape along all four edges. The sides require 3mm tape along all four edges. The foam contacts the frame.

This is my source.

uxcell Sealing Foam Tape 8mm Wide 3mm Thick 4m/13ft Long, Self Adhesive Weather Strip for Window Door Insulation, Pack of 2 https://amzn.to/3ubrC9G

• Like 1

my fysetc 2.4 kit came with 1mm and 3mm double sided foam tape which is crap as the panels can’t be removed so i purchased some single sided of both and 5mm wide and used the 1mm for the back, top and doors which has plenty of clearance and the 3mm for the sides as can’t use 1mm on the side panels otherwise the gantry parts will rub against the acrylic panels…

My formbot kit only came with 1mm, and it was double sided too. The BOM calls for single sided, 1mm and 3mm. I got the 3mm (1/4") from Home Depot for $1.29 shipped for like 17 feet. You also needs double sided VHB tape. I forgot how wide I bought for the foam but I think 1mmx5mm is correct, which UXCell has on Amazon.

Edited by OneStepAhead
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The BOM (Bill of Materials) items you mention in the manual specify the use of both single-sided and double-sided foam tape, with a thickness of 1mm and 3mm. The width of the tape will depend on the specific application and the size of the item that needs to be secured or sealed.

To determine the correct width of the foam tape, you should consider the dimensions of the surfaces to be bonded, as well as the size of the gap or overlap that needs to be filled. In general, I recommend you to use a foam tape that is slightly wider than the gap or overlap that needs to be filled, to ensure a secure bond.