Just testing my new Stealthburner LEDs via WLED :-)

I had a chance to combine my two hobbies - LEDs and the new SB build. After installing the LEDs I wanted to verify they worked before putting everything together.

WLED is great for this - it runs on a $7 ESP32 module, and the s/w installs via Chrome over USB. Site is https://install.wled.me/

Enjoy! The screenshot is the web interface for WLED (it happens to be another controller, not the one depicted in the photos).

IMG_1079.jpg

IMG_1078.jpg

wled.png

• Like 3

I'm only using WLED to test the LEDs and wiring. I plan on using Klipper to control them via the printer. Not sure if anyone has configured a WLED module / interface / API for Klipper or Moonraker, honestly.

I use home assistant as a smarthome setup, so all my WLED controllers and many other things are all controlled by that. Also, there's a moonraker plugin for HA that works well and gathers and displays a lot of data from the printer, and I have notifications (pushover) set up from the integration in HA to alert me of finished prints, pauses, etc.

Here's someone else's dashboard, for example. This is in HA via the moonraker integration, talking to the printer over the LAN.

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/moonraker-api-klipper/301619/18

FYI, if you are using cloud access (either your own firewall tunnel or Nabu Casa) you can monitor the printer outside of your LAN through that integration. 😁 There's also a HA Spoolman integration, but I haven't figured out how to make it useful yet; each logged spool is a sensor with the remaining filament weight as the sole value.

This reminds me, I really need to get a Wifi LED strip for the kitchen set up. It's mostly in place, just have to figure out a good way of getting the 110v converted to 12v without a big box pasted to the wall.

@claudermilk Are you using WLED ESPs with your HA setup? I'm pretty sure you are but if not give it a try. There's a WLED integration that works well and you can automate WLED presets, which is what I do in several places. I even have a customized box I use for the ElectroCookie PCBs which fit the ESPs:

https://www.printables.com/model/741544-electrocookie-small-pcb-box-for-wled-with-vents-an

I've been surprised how many LED products are WS2812 (and others) compatible. I have the Govee Permanent House lights installed outside under the eaves and use it for holiday lighting, which means I don't have to climb up on my ladder every December to put up Christmas lights and such.

I don't like the cloud dependency of Govee, so I pulled out the controller and just use the supplied 36V power supply for the LEDs and control them via an ESP running WLED. Works great!

Here's one day when the SF Niners were playing in a playoff game:

IMG_0436.JPG.5c1af8e606053f42fb79188b32f543c6.JPG

• Like 2

Nope, I don't have anything set up yet. When remodeling the kitchen I converted the old ugly fluorescent fixture into a recessed ceiling with cans. I put a sort-of floating crown molding along the bottom & they put in a wifi LED strip, but weren't able to finish the wiring. I have some romex run part way between the wall switch and that area, but I guess I hadn't run it as far as I thought. Anyway, I'll have to poke holes in the ceiling again to get it run the rest of the way and get that strip hooked up. First challenge is get the 110v converted to 12v for the LEDs. Once that's done I now think I could probably cram a WLED board in there to control it via HA. which would be cool. Now your picture has me thinking once we get the house painted & repairs done (desperately needed), that hidden LED idea would be cool.

https://github.com/Gliptopolis/WLED_Klipper

https://moonraker.readthedocs.io/en/latest/configuration/#wled

So, definitely doable.  I initially had my LEDs on an ESP32 for my V0.2 build, while I debated routing considerations.  With the ESP32, it was easy enough to just run multiple strands off different pins and use WLED to specify the layout, while also restricting brightness to not fry the MCU.  In the event, I decided I pretty much didn't care about fine control, just lighting everything up with a single set of colors and brightness was all I cared about, which made routing easier (daisy-chain or parallel didn't matter).

My main frustration at the time was that my SKR Mini E3 V2 has a neopixel port, and basically says "You can drive neopixels from it!" and "If you have higher power needs, here is an add-on board".  But I found it surprisingly hard to figure out what the actual power available is (*).  Lots of online discussion was on the order of "I'd think it could support X" or "I ran Y and my house didn't burn down".  A default ESP32 is not a great solution because of power, but it was at least known!  In the end I also added a Klipper Expander, which made it easy enough to run VCC off the voltage regulator feeding the rpi, which the Klipper Expander could also use as vref for the LED string.  Doing the same from the MCU board didn't work well because that regulator provided slightly different voltage, which caused wrong pixels sometimes.

(*) I eventually found an indicator that the values are up to 8 off the main board and up to 30 with the additional power module.  8 is basically default USB power of 0.5A, which I suspect is not a coincidence, though I've seen other references to 3A?  Obviously you can tweak those values if you're careful with brightness.