Parts Harversting

I had a Artillery Genius (my first printer) that I'd being trying to sell, but because of the availability of cheap printers there were no buyers. Sure I could have given away or sold it for pennies.

Today it got harversted. I now have all the parts I need for my Test Rig and a shedload of nuts, bolts washers, etc.

20240502_104902.jpg.c244d2a75e6d63e27cafd124f2528c45.jpg

• Like 4

Yeah... I have a few parts laying around. I just ordered a soldering pencil, so I'll build myself one for the workbench. Getting tired of doing it the manual way.

• Like 1

I'm weighing up doing this to my old Ender 5 which has been rendered utterly obsolete in a way I really wasn't expecting by the arrival of the Voron.

It's either harvest it for bits or convert it into a Mercury Hydra.... 

8 hours ago, TitusADuxass said:

No, not going down that rabbit hole thank you.

I'm with you on that one!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jerazmus said:

Make a Millenium Milo CNC machine!

Millenium Milo.png

This is a rabbit-hole I may go down after the tool changer is finished... I want a CNC machine, so building it would definitely be more fun than just buying one.

I have already torn down a Ender3 S1 and Anycubic Kobra Max, so lots of extra parts that are too short for my current project that could go into this one..... 

• Like 3

Yup, I've been eyeballing DIY CNC's. Seems like that's a good next step for my hobby. Plus, I have some ideas for small format aftermarket CNC'd motorcycle parts I want to develop and a mill would be awesome for prototyping.

The question is, which one. The Voron or the Milo? 🤔

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Penatr8tor said:

Yup, I've been eyeballing DIY CNC's. Seems like that's a good next step for my hobby. Plus, I have some ideas for small format aftermarket CNC'd motorcycle parts I want to develop and a mill would be awesome for prototyping.

I have been looking at them. It really is about what your use case would be and machine ability. The Milo’s bed moves in the X and y axis and just the tool moves in z. And the voron moves the bed in one axis and the tool moves in 2. BUT, the voron is designed to be enclosed from the beginning which is nice. 

• Like 1

Yep, @Jerazmus I agree. If you think about it... most CNC mills move the bed with Z on the spindle. What I want to see if how well they hold up over time. But it will be a while before I jump in so there's still plenty of time to watch and see how the existing designs develop and also what new stuff surfaces.

The RatRig guys also have a Milo like mill as well.

17 hours ago, Jerazmus said:

Make a Millenium Milo CNC machine!

Already ordered a LDO kit in March. Apparently there were some issues with the first kit that delayed release of the second kit - The latest from discord is the kit will arrive at the distributor mid May - that's next week, then will be processed and distributed to buyers. Just love the waiting game.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Penatr8tor said:

I think that question can only be answered once we see some homebuilt Voron CNC's. AS you know I have a Milo on order so I guess my decision is made.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, TitusADuxass said:

price for the Milo kit

Only 1500€ for an LDO kit. I think that's the normal price for all ldo kits 🙂

you should consider self sourcing once you made up your mind. Like @PFarm did. I am sure it will cut 50% on the costs. 

Edited by Dirk
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dirk said:

Only 1500€ for an LDO kit. I think that's the normal price for all ldo kits 🙂

you should consider self sourcing once you made up your mind. Like @PFarm did. I am sure it will cut 50% on the costs. 

I'll probably self-source the parts over the summer with a view building in winter.

15 minutes ago, Dirk said:

self sourcing

Done that, been there, no thank you - don't know about Europe but getting everything to Oz doubles the price of everything. Cheaper to go kit, even a LDO one.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jerazmus said:

I have been looking at them. It really is about what your use case would be and machine ability. The Milo’s bed moves in the X and y axis and just the tool moves in z. And the voron moves the bed in one axis and the tool moves in 2. BUT, the voron is designed to be enclosed from the beginning which is nice. 

At 2,500.00 US for the Voron Mill, you can build a pretty nice enclosure for the Milo. There is one in Beta right now. Casa Enclosure

• Like 5

3 hours ago, mvdveer said:

Done that, been there, no thank you

The shipping costs to Holland have risen extremely for small aliexpress purchases since the first of january.

But last year this time I made a calculation for a 2.4 350 self-source and a kit, and there was a difference of about 50%. Mostly shipping costs for motors and extrusions would add up. Combination of weight and volume.

If I had sourced the heavy and big parts in europe, and the rest from AliExpress, I would have been able to build a very good 2.4 350, for the same money I payed to Fysetc (800 euros). 

If I had known I would want to upgrade so much, I am sure I would have done that 🙂

But now I know... 

I do not know what parts of the Milo kit are the most expensive or heaviest or most volume, but I am sure they are obtainable locally.

At least Makerbeam extrusions are produced in The Netherlands, and they should be cheaper than when you import it from China or the US.

@mvdveer maybe you should take a few makerbeam extrusions along with you when you visit motherland again this summer?

The motors are surely LDO. Except that there are many so lyric about LDO ( @claudermilk ) I am sure any other similar powered motor will do as fine.

I know that kits are cheaper and takes less time. But I am sure it is doable, and more fun than getting a box of ready to build package.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PFarm said:

At 2,500.00 US for the Voron Mill, you can build a pretty nice enclosure for the Milo. There is one in Beta right now. Casa Enclosure

It would be cool if that display was detachable and on a spiral cable so that it could double as a remote. Maybe even add a jog wheel to it.

• Like 1