Voron 2.4 with ERCF 9 colors

SMURPH

What motherboard setup is necessary to have the Enraged Rabbit Carrot Feeder (ERCF-9) work? I currently am building the Voron 2.4 and have a couple of mother boards available; BIGTREETECH GTR V1.0 Control Board 32Bit+M5 V1.0 Expansion Board 3D Printer Parts with TMC2209 & the Makerbase MKS Monster8 32Bit Control Board 3D Printer parts with TMC2209 for Voron.

BigTreeTech GTR & M5.jpg

MKS Monster 8.jpg

You'll need two stepper motor drivers for the ERCF, along with a few sensor ports. You should be able to scrounge up the sensor connections from whatever mainboard you're using, but given that the Voron 2 requires 7 drivers of its own, you'll likely need an accessory board of some type with additional driver sticks.

The Easy BRD is a common choice. Its main advantage is size. You can probably buy an SKR for the same price, but the electronics bay on a 300mm Voron 2 is already pretty crowded. If you have spare boards on hand already, you could probably squeeze one in.

Edit: It doesn't matter how many filament bays you plan to install.

Edited by GarthSnyder

Thanks for the info. I do have the easy BRD. It came with my ERCF. Also I have the Voron 2.4 350mm. I am just about to start with the electronics bay and wanted to find out which mother board would be better. I also have the BIGTREETECH BTT Octopus V1.1 Control Board TMC2209 that came with my Voron 2.4 Build kit. Will the Octopus do the job?

BigTreeTech Octopus V1.1 with TMC2209.jpg

Yes, IMHO the octopus is excellent. Just a tip: the tolerances for the ERCF plastic part are very tight. Make sure you tune your printer well before printing full plates of parts (as I have :-(). Follow Ellis's guide and then follow it again (seriously). Best of luck, don't rush and enjoy the build!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2022 at 4:32 PM, mmb said:

Yes, IMHO the octopus is excellent. Just a tip: the tolerances for the ERCF plastic part are very tight. Make sure you tune your printer well before printing full plates of parts (as I have :-(). Follow Ellis's guide and then follow it again (seriously). Best of luck, don't rush and enjoy the build!

What's Ellis's guide and where?