CARTOGRAPHER announced AUTO-Z

Dirk

Couldn't wait to share this with everyone.

A couple of hours ago the maker of Cartographer released a video showing off his Cartographer probe, doing Taps on the bed. (attached)

He also asked for beta testers in the discord channel for a closed public beta, which will start off from 30th of April. I applied for a spot!

As I understood, it will be a firmware and a script update that will add this functionality to ALL Cartographer probes out there (V1 through V4).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yezariael said:

functionality some time ago

No Not really.

They showed a preview of Bacon Contact. It is meant for putting packages of butter on your printing plate, with a piece of bacon next to it. And touching it with your nozzle.

So nothing about auto z. Neither about an announcement. So you are mistaken. 

17 hours ago, Dirk said:

No Not really.

They showed a preview of Bacon Contact. It is meant for putting packages of butter on your printing plate, with a piece of bacon next to it. And touching it with your nozzle.

So nothing about auto z. Neither about an announcement. So you are mistaken. 

Do your homework correct please: https://beacon3d.com/press-release/

• Like 1

Regardless of who did or didn't get there first (and really.  Does everything have to be sportsball these days?) I am super keen for this to hit GA and to try it out.

Getting Z offset right has been the bane of my life recently and the thought of being able to make that go away....yes please!

• Like 3

OK lurking about (still waiting for parts to build my 2.4), so I may be missing something.

Seems like I need to have a canbus hub in the toolhead or run another wire (usb/can) back below deck.

Like the overall idea though...

49 minutes ago, sntlewis said:

OK lurking about (still waiting for parts to build my 2.4), so I may be missing something.

Seems like I need to have a canbus hub in the toolhead or run another wire (usb/can) back below deck.

Like the overall idea though...

True only for usb tool heads. Any klicky probe could be replaced with the usb or CAN wires.

But with the options for toolhead boards, why not convert to CANbus?

The technique used is software-only.  So if you have any kind of eddy current bed sensor it could work.  So I expect this kind of thing to be available on all of the eddy current sensors.   Later, at some point I hope to see consolidation where there is only one bed tap software in Klipper that works with any sensor.

I like the way tap sensing of any kind is self-adjusting for different build plate thicknesses.  I notice mine have slightly different thicknesses.    In Theory the technique they use would work even with a rather thick glass plate.   They measure coil impedance while moving closer to the build place and assume that when the impedance stops changing it is because the distance stopped changing because of a collision with the plate.