Orca slicer flow rate change

D__J

Question

So I'm trying out a few nozzles and did a max vfa test. If I slice a middle at the higher flow (even if I bump up the speeds) the print time doesn't change, and in some cases takes a few seconds longer.

Any thoughts? I'm not sure what I could be doing wrong. I'm changing the flow rate of the filament within orca. Not too sure what's up. 

5 answers to this question

Not for speed. It's for surface finish. https://ellis3dp.com/Print-Tuning-Guide/articles/extrusion_multiplier.html You will want to run through that calibration process to get really nice top surfaces on your parts.

For speed, you need to look at the Process / Speed tab. A word of warning: Orca starts with stupidly fast speeds that in my experience are too fast.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2024 at 6:54 AM, D__J said:

So the max flow rate in the filament section doesn't change anything?

Max volumetric speed at the bottom of filament settings. It does limit printing speed so it doesn't exceed your extruder.

Extrusion multiplier from the tuning guide is "flow ratio" in orca, and it's in filament section as well as quality section of process.

On 4/21/2024 at 8:54 AM, D__J said:

So the max flow rate in the filament section doesn't change anything?

In the Filament Settings window, under the Filament tab...

Flow Ratio increases or decreases the amount of material that flows out of the nozzle. i.e. if parts exhibit over extruded anomalies at 1.00 then reduce to something like 0.95 etc.

Max volumetric speed in the Volumetric Speed Limitation section will slow down the print speed if the calculated flow exceeds your setting. For example, if you have a Rapido hot end and it can flow 40 mm3/s then set it to 40 or 35 just to be safe. This way the printer will never print faster than your nozzle can flow. If your prints are being slowed down, then set this to a higher value. Just understand that if you set it to a value that's higher than your nozzle can flow... you will get under extrusion.

image.thumb.png.7e247c024421521903ae8162773fe01d.png

• Like 1