New Toy - not a printer

So exited - picking up my new toy tomorrow.

Not a printer

But.............

Ford Raptor 3.0l  V6 Bi-turbo 405HP 0-100km/h 6s  Code Orange. Wifey told me to remember I am not 18 anymore - in spirit I ammaxresdefault.thumb.jpg.9923feb16e08c336f329e6d485215071.jpg

Is this better than a new Voron ?

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, mvdveer said:

3.0l  V6

Really?

A Ford? In Australia?

No idea where you guys stand at with fossil fuel consumption, but that car is not even allowed in most city centers in Holland anymore.

Go electric or 'ga toch fietsen'

I was just on the highway today after a few months and more than half the newer cars are Electric.

A few more years and fuel is not even sold anymore in tank stations.

Very much like cigarettes.

Sorry for being so harsh. You can tell your wife at least one person agreed with her 😂

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Dirk said:

Really?

A Ford? In Australia?

No idea where you guys stand at with fossil fuel consumption, but that car is not even allowed in most city centers in Holland anymore.

Go electric or 'ga toch fietsen'

I was just on the highway today after a few months and more than half the newer cars are Electric.

A few more years and fuel is not even sold anymore in tank stations.

Very much like cigarettes.

Sorry for being so harsh. You can tell your wife at least one person agreed with her 😂

In the NL you don't need a big car, there's no room on the highways most of the time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Both new toys/tools are nice.

Those Ecoboost engines are both powerful and efficient. I'm definitely biased, so 👍 on that one.

I really like my Sunlu dryer. It's a bit more spendy than many other options--particularly the DIY ones, but this one just works and is as easy as throwing the spool in, and poking the "on" button a couple of times.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, claudermilk said:

Both new toys/tools are nice.

Those Ecoboost engines are both powerful and efficient. I'm definitely biased, so 👍 on that one.

I really like my Sunlu dryer. It's a bit more spendy than many other options--particularly the DIY ones, but this one just works and is as easy as throwing the spool in, and poking the "on" button a couple of times.

I bought it because I saw that several members on have one. I thought, if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me. 

• Like 1

@mvdveer Dude! Nice! That thing will rip! Congrats and I hope you get many miles of enjoyment out of it.

@Dirk Not to get political but the whole climate crisis is mostly politically pushed on us all whether we agree or not. That aside, the two biggest problems with electric vehicles currently are battery energy density and bandwidth of the grid. Pretty much every state or country runs their grid at ~80% capacity, leaving the remaining ~20% for increased usage during extreme hot and cold temperature events. So, if we want to get rid of vehicles that run on fossil fuels... we first need to increase the capacity of the electrical grid and without some major power generating breakthrough... that's just not going to happen any time soon.

Fun fact... A typical wind farm contains 150 turbines. Each turbine uses 80 gallons (303 liters) of oil for lubrication. That's 12000 gallons (45425 liters) of oil per wind farm and the oil needs to be changed once a year so, there ya go. Not to mention all the Jet-A fuel all the climate activists are running in their private jets. 😄

As far as I'm concerned... You can burn anything you want as long as the output or exhaust isn't harming the environment and that goes for power generation as well as vehicle propulsion.

• Like 5
  • Dislike 1

9 hours ago, Penatr8tor said:

that's just not going to happen any time soon.

Not that we are talking about printers, where we use huge amounts of electricity so our plastic lines adhere well to the bed and to eachother so we have a successfull print to then throw away 95% of the plastic we made succesfully... 

But... There are very clear EU rules / laws that prohibit registration of fossil fuel cars from a certain date ( I believe it was 2030).

I read that Germans have slashed that law kind of cause their technology wouldn't be level with the Chinese by then, but still...

I do like the improvement that comes with electric cars: almost no moving parts and more electricity ( kind of like TAP vs Cartographer/ Bacon to keep in line)

Like Johan Cruyff said: "Elk voordeel heb z'n nadeel" (every advantage has its disadvantage)

I am enjoying the enormous acceleration boost electric cars have without having to get a Ferrari. And not to forget the absence of problems associated with an 'engine' that wants things from you, besides the costs you must make yearly to have everything checked.

And I was hoping this less fossil fuel consumption would reduce the war, chaos that has been  in the middle east for over 200 years a bit, but it seems that fuel consumption by developing countries are increasing so much that me driving electric and generating own electricity for my printer bed is not adding any drops to the bottomless pit.

Anyway... I was just teasing @mvdveer and luckily he was the only one who could laugh about it.

Enjoy the things you can! And nothing wrong with getting a bigger and faster toy than a vzbot or a voron since you are clearly not a boy anymore. And there has to be a difference between them. 

And @Penatr8tor I like numbers, facts and science, but I have also learned interpreting numbers, facts is a completely different branch of sport

Misusestatistics_0001-1.png.799f1acd4b6369900dcb4edae6b9f505.png

Edited by Dirk
  • Like 3
  • Voron FTW! 1

Niiiice!!!  That Raptor would go well with one of my Harley’s. 

as far as electric goes, until they improve the grid, and put charging stations every ten feet, I’ll stick to my f350 super duty diesel and the Harley’s. 

And when they put those charging stations every ten feet they need to include receptacles so I can plug in my voron and print something while I sit there for several hours and wait for the electric vehicle to charge.  

but congrats on that Raptor!  Beautiful truck. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Pappy3831 said:

and put charging stations every ten feet

You should visit Holland. Ten feet is a bit exaggerated, there are no refueling stations every ten feet either.

But on our block, there are at least 4 charging stations for the unfortunate ones that do not have an own carport or a garage.

nl.chargemap_com.thumb.jpg.27396bad17ac584285d49b05dcbdd45d.jpg (source https://nl.chargemap.com/cities/gouda-NL)

If you do, you can have your own charging station at home, connected to your solar grid from home. A pretty common practice nowadays- apparently only in Holland.

I use the same home solar grid to use electricity on my printers to heat the beds... Keeps my wife less unhappy about my hobby that consumes so much electricity that the whole room heats up.

But hey.. to each their own 🙂

1 hour ago, Dirk said:

You should visit Holland. Ten feet is a bit exaggerated, there are no refueling stations every ten feet either.

But on our block, there are at least 4 charging stations for the unfortunate ones that do not have an own carport or a garage.

This is the pitfall that I see people from Europe accidently step into, they forget to take scale into account.

They're like... You guys in America should do what we do here in Belgium, blah blah blah and we have absolutely no issues. And I'm like... Dude... Belgium is the size of the Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex. 🤣

And the same thing goes for countries like Holland, your country isn't 4500 Km wide like the US and to a slightly lesser extent Australia (4120 Km). I hate to say it but... Your countries infrastructure problems are miniscule by comparison which translates into... we have 4 charging stations on our block. 

Just for context... here's a good chunk of Europe crammed into Texas.

image.png.186c1a5dab5d24c2a385bcbb44ad8493.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Penatr8tor said:

blah blah blah

So as an American, Texan even, you say you do NOT think bigger is better??? I am Baffledd!

And thank you again for the numbers 🙂 I love them!

On 4/19/2024 at 9:13 AM, Penatr8tor said:

Not to get political but the whole climate crisis is mostly politically pushed on us all whether we agree or not. That aside, the two biggest problems with electric vehicles currently are battery energy density and bandwidth of the grid. Pretty much every state or country runs their grid at ~80% capacity, leaving the remaining ~20% for increased usage during extreme hot and cold temperature events. So, if we want to get rid of vehicles that run on fossil fuels... we first need to increase the capacity of the electrical grid and without some major power generating breakthrough... that's just not going to happen any time soon.

Uhm, do you own an EV?

I have driven, exclusively, EV since September 2016 and never seen an issue with grid capacity and I live in a state that has actual seasons where it can be extermely cold and extremely warm just 6 months apart.

Grid usage is high during the day. Solved: charge at night, in your home, for far less than the cost of dino juice, and the smell of exhaust.

I didn't join the 'greenies'. I went EV because of everything else an EV offers: much lower TCO, instant power, and driving is hella fun again. I don't have solar nor am I adding solar as - trees >> solar. I don't have battery backup at home, nor a generator. If the power goes out? I'm out just like other folks.

And you should notice: I mention not a damn thing about politics as we have too much of that divisive nature going on.

Go EV because it is fun, has lower TCO, far less maintenance, etc.

Don't go EV because you think you're being 'green' or 'saving the earth'.

The grid will grow; we can't grow more dinosaurs nor wait for them to pass away and turn into oil. 🙂

• Like 1

Yeah I'm not going to get into the politics side of it. I live in one of the least populated areas of the continental US so an EV make no sense for me at this time. Everything is just too spread out. That will change over time. At that point I'll have prob have one or will have 100% reduced my carbon footprint by becomming plant food. Don't get an EV to save the planet, Cuz face it they have their own polution problems too. Get it when it become the practical solution for your - and for many people that time is now. Only way we can save the planets is for us to stop expanding. True environmentalist need to be looking at population control not what sort of car people use. But that's an even bigger bag of political snakes than forcing people off fossil fuels 🙂

I am envious of the new truck though. Enjoy 

• Like 2

On 4/21/2024 at 9:40 AM, geekandi said:

Uhm, do you own an EV?

I have driven, exclusively, EV since September 2016 and never seen an issue with grid capacity and I live in a state that has actual seasons where it can be extermely cold and extremely warm just 6 months apart.

Grid usage is high during the day. Solved: charge at night, in your home, for far less than the cost of dino juice, and the smell of exhaust.

I didn't join the 'greenies'. I went EV because of everything else an EV offers: much lower TCO, instant power, and driving is hella fun again. I don't have solar nor am I adding solar as - trees >> solar. I don't have battery backup at home, nor a generator. If the power goes out? I'm out just like other folks.

And you should notice: I mention not a damn thing about politics as we have too much of that divisive nature going on.

Go EV because it is fun, has lower TCO, far less maintenance, etc.

Don't go EV because you think you're being 'green' or 'saving the earth'.

The grid will grow; we can't grow more dinosaurs nor wait for them to pass away and turn into oil. 🙂

Please... Do I own an EV.... That's not even an argument. 😄   What you're doing is called an argument from authority and it's a complete fallacy. I mean no disrespect, but you don't need to own a private jet to understand how much it costs, and you don't need to own an EV to do the math and extrapolate where we would be if we don't improve our grid to accommodate doubling or tripling the electric vehicles we have now. California has already implemented charging restrictions for peak times and holidays, so the proof is already evident in major cities.

With that said... I hope you continue to enjoy your EV, it sounds like a good choice for you, just like the choice @mvdveer made with his pickup. I would never advocate to eliminate EV's, my friends have Tesla's, I've driven and drive in them, and I 100% agree that they're awesome cars. TBH, I want one but it's not realistic for me at this time. My only gripe is that I think that the rate at which they want to eliminate ICE vehicles is unrealistic given our governments record of completing projects on time and on budget. 

I'm not hating on you or EV's. My apologies if you got that from my post. 👍

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Penatr8tor said:

I'm not hating on you or EV's. My apologies if you got that from my post.

And that's what I walked away with which is why I responded.

The grid continues to grow (for some values of growth) while the dinos do not.

Oh, and people make their own personal choices and I do *not* fault anyone. If I needed a truck with towing capacity I would not force myself into an EV truck at this time because, well, it sucks for such right now. Sure, has the torque, but it doesn't have the rest that make it easy.

• Like 1

We also really can't afford everyone to go electric.

In canada we've got rolling mandatory blackouts in several areas just to make the electric grid stable and its not even summer with AC units blasting.

I think we need more hybrids not necessarily more straight electrics.

We've driven a hyundai ioniiq5 and its an amazing little vehicle.  I just worry about an all electric vehicle.

• Like 1