Extruder motor issues

PFarm

It started with poor top layer, poor layer adhesion and parts had no strength.

Has anyone had an issue with the pancake extruder stepper motor for the CW2?  Further investigation of the CW2, eliminated any possible filament friction issues (took PTFE tubing out of the equation by feeding filament directly in the CW2), then when doing a nozzle purge I could see the filament stop extruding ever so lightly. I rebuilt the CW2 with spare printed parts and installed a new gear, the only item I didn't have was a spare stepper motor. I took the CW2 assembly off the Trident to test my theory that the stepper has a tight stop in it. To confirm it's the stepper motor I installed the Trident stepper motor into the V2 CW2 and it now extrudes properly. Problem solved a new Moon pancake motor is ordered from a local supplier.

Diagnosing any problem is a process of elimination that eventually reveals the root cause. It's easier to accomplish when you have spare parts to test with. 😉

image_750x.webp

Edited by PFarm
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, PFarm said:

It's easier to accomplish when you have spare parts to test with

So true - it is a process of elimination and controlled trials like the one above. (although is is not a double blinded study, I will accept the scientific basis for it 😄)

We could all apply for detective school soon 🙃

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, mvdveer said:

So true - it is a process of elimination and controlled trials like the one above. (although is is not a double blinded study, I will accept the scientific basis for it 😄)

Depending on what you're troubleshooting throwing parts at it can become very costly. Knowledge or previous history of the problem is a great asset. I have over 40 years in the service and repair industry so have some first-hand experience. 😏 Knowing the sequence of operations is a must when diagnosing.  

Edited by PFarm
  • Like 1

Currently having a weird problem on the VZBOT: Printed parts came out a shocker - some would call it a "dog's breakfast" but that would be an insult to the breakfast. On closer inspection, it appears the extruded filament has "tooth" marks on it at regular intervals, this causing "blobs/defects" in the print  - about one rotation of the filament gear. I am putting this down to a faulty gear in the Hextrudot extruder. (I had a clog in the Rapido due to a fan failure and "forcefully had to clear this as the filament broke of and twirled in the extruder exit. (Used a Filament clog clearing tool tool)

image.png.4acd4bb19549d339e33a3e7aaf92f994.png

Unfortunately I do not have a spare as this is the only printer using this kind of extruder and I never thought it would cause an issue. Have ordered another but will take 14 days to arrive. In the interim, I have last night printed the parts for a Galileo 2 standalone extruder (I have extra parts to build two more) and will assemble, fit and test my theory.

16 minutes ago, PFarm said:

Knowing the sequence of operations is a must when diagnosing. 

Knowledge is power

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, mvdveer said:

(Used a Filament clog clearing tool tool)

image.png.4acd4bb19549d339e33a3e7aaf92f994.png

Is that a multi-function clog-clearing tool? 🤣

Edited by PFarm
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, PFarm said:

Is that a multi-function clog-clearing tool?

Didn't clear the clog in my head/brain at the time

• Haha 3