ABS to ASA Tuning Differences - But mostly Motorcycles

zav3nd

I've been all Polymaker ABS so far. Have some Ambrosia ASA ordered (price is right, and it seems good). My instinct is to just hit print with my ABS profile (265 Hotend, 105 Bed). Seems like most manufacturers are maybe slightly hotter on ASA than their ABS.

Is there some setting I'll need adjusting? Possibly flow ratio difference? Sparkle/Galaxy filaments I imagine are different than "normal" colors, any adjustments there?

Anyone have a new filament tuning they follow religiously? Or Just hit print and see what happens?

Edited by zav3nd
;)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, zav3nd said:

I've been all Polymaker ABS so far. Have some Ambrosia ASA ordered (price is right, and it seems good). My instinct is to just hit print with my ABS profile (265 Hotend, 105 Bed). Seems like most manufacturers are maybe slightly hotter on ASA than their ABS.

Is there some setting I'll need adjusting? Possibly flow ratio difference? Sparkle/Galaxy filaments I imagine are different than "normal" colors, any adjustments there?

Anyone have a new filament tuning they follow religiously? Or Just hit print and see what happens?

I always run through the tests that are in Orca.

For ASA I just use my ABS profile.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, zav3nd said:

Anyone have a new filament tuning they follow religiously?

For any filament, even within the ABS range - different colours, I run the Ellis PA and Extrusion multiplier - you would be surprised at the results. My ASA profiles are derived from the ABS profiles and then tuned as mentioned. I personally have not found that the temperature differs much between ABS and ASA. 

• Like 2

I started out tuning profiles for every filament, then I found that 99% of them are happy with the same settings. So now I have a PLA, an ABS, a PETG, a TPU, and a Nylon calibration. Then I add specific ones as needed (e.g., the Polymaker sparkle ABS for the V0 needed slightly different setting than the Fusion sparkle).

• Like 3

I made the same swap of PM ABS -> Ambrosia ASA (and galactic ASA!) and haven't seen any need to retune. I did check PA and got similar enough results that I didn't bother changing. Loving the Galactic Midnight Meteorite, Galactic Black, and the Lime Green so far!

• Like 1

The Ambrosia filaments look like something I'd like to try. Of course, ABS-ASA is always a bit of a challenge but not that bad really.

I looked to see if it was on Amazon but ended up going down another rabbit hole and bought a spool of CF filled ABS from eSun.

I have an Android Auto touch screen I want to add to my motorcycle so that I don't kill my cell phone camera with vibration and the ABS-CF might work for a mounting bracket. We will see...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Penatr8tor said:

I want to add to my motorcycle so that I don't kill my cell phone camera with vibration and the ABS-CF might work for a mounting bracket. We will see...

We're going down that path now - motorcycles?  (Fatboy 100th anniversary edition and Triumph bonneville)

IMG_0887.thumb.jpeg.de5bb413f4970a39b1da349dbe1cf5db.jpeg  IMG_0053.thumb.jpeg.ae9c036c93a1574ecfc760ad3a72ac88.jpeg

Boys and their toys hey?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Penatr8tor said:

The Ambrosia filaments look like something I'd like to try.

I ordered direct because free shipping above $70 (for 'Domestic'), West3d carries it as well.

But I'm down to a couple half rolls of ABS so figured it can't hurt to try a new brand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mvdveer said:

We're going down that path now - motorcycles?  (Fatboy 100th anniversary edition and Triumph bonneville)

IMG_0887.thumb.jpeg.de5bb413f4970a39b1da349dbe1cf5db.jpeg  IMG_0053.thumb.jpeg.ae9c036c93a1574ecfc760ad3a72ac88.jpeg

Boys and their toys hey?

Hahahaha Nice! I really like the OG FatBoy ala Terminator 2. I also really like what Triumph has been doing... Keeping the classics classic while at the same time giving the other bikes a run with bikes like the Speed Triple, Daytona and making a serious splash in MX with the new TF250-X.

Me, I've mostly been a sport rider but now mostly retired to a 2013 Goldwing F6B.

3174389.thumb.jpg.40d25fcedf9c067d947416ee24aa1cff.jpg

FZ1_Wheelie_01.JPG.85eee800c01bbe3e024840356ce65086.JPG

MSR-Cressen-01.jpg.f60a771b541cf575fc4d3a0f8e5e069e.jpg

TWSCarousel.thumb.jpg.74c460d8c5ad9b5331e08bac4a88d586.jpg

• Like 4

@mvdveer @Penatr8tor Some cool bikes never had a road bike if I had I most likely wouldn't be here today. My speed rush was on Honda CR (two-stroke) big-bore MX bikes. Had a CR480 4-speed gearbox that was very close to a four-stroke but was a 2 stroke high torque bike, then had a CR500 air cooled and the last one was a CR500 liquid cool little rocketship. Did some track days and loved the airtime the downside is I'm now paying the price with these old bones! 🤣

Edited by PFarm
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PFarm said:

@mvdveer @Penatr8tor Some cool bikes never had a road bike if I had I most likely wouldn't be here today. My speed rush was on Honda CR (two-stroke) big-bore MX bikes. Had a CR480 4-speed gearbox that was very close to a four-stroke but was a 2 stroke high torque bike, then had a CR500 air cooled and the last one was a CR500 liquid cool little rocketship. Did some track days and loved the airtime the downside is I'm now paying the price with these old bones! 🤣

I had an OG 1972 CR250M Elsinore back in the day in pristine condition. I sold it in 2002, Should have kept it now that I think about it.

I'll help hijack my own thread.

1986 Honda Magna - I don't have any sweet action shots though.

PXL_20230530_232910482.thumb.jpg.a91a3c30c960e53958c4db6996acf69a.jpg

I also have a Shadow of the same year, at some point I'll get around to printing a new side cover for it but the magna is more fun than modeling in fusion360.

• Like 1

• zav3nd changed the title to ABS to ASA Tuning Differences - But mostly Motorcycles
17 minutes ago, zav3nd said:

'll help hijack my own thread.

Sorry that was me, now back on topic..... what was it again?

• Haha 2