Probe Calibration

TitusADuxass

Question

V0.1, BTT M5P, EBB36, Microprobe 

I need your assistance once again.

I'm trying to calibrate the Z offset and have the following issues:

X, Y & Z all home correctly and Z is in the centre of the bed (60, 60).

When I issue command PROBE_CALIBRATE, the toolhead motors over toX0, Y23.

Then when I try to raise the bed by 1mm (it'sat 5.01), it goes up by 1mm and then back down.

Where do I find the area that I need to change?

TIA

Edited by TitusADuxass
Clarification

13 answers to this question

21 minutes ago, TitusADuxass said:

Where do I find the area that I need to change?

Have you got a section [safe_z_home] defined?

[safe_z_home]
##  XY Location of the Z Endstop Switch
home_xy_position:60,60
speed:100
z_hop:15

Customized homing

[safe_z_home]

Safe Z homing. One may use this mechanism to home the Z axis at a specific X, Y coordinate. This is useful if the toolhead, for example has to move to the center of the bed before Z can be homed.

18 minutes ago, TitusADuxass said:

I suspect that it's something in the microprobe.cfg

That may be it, but just had a look at some sample configs for the Bique Microprobe and it does not reference X-Y - positions

19 minutes ago, TitusADuxass said:

I changed the X Y offsets in the microprobe.cfg to 60, 60.

That will cause a move out of range. These are the values the probe is from the nozzle, won't be 60,60

e.g.

x_offset: 0.0 # Actual offset of the MicroProbe installation - how far is the probe from the nozzle on the X-axis - in line
y_offset: -31.5 # Actual offset of the MicroProbe installation - how far is the probe from the nozzle on the Y-axis -31.5mm from nozzle 
#z_offset: 0.0 # Actual offset of the MicroProbe installation

or

x_offset: -40  
y_offset: -35 

10 minutes ago, mvdveer said:

That may be it, but just had a look at some sample configs for the Bique Microprobe and it does not reference X-Y - positions

It does require you to input an offset for Z, I've commented out the X & Y lines.

It now runs as it should during the probe calibration but I can't get the nozzle down to the bed. The lowest that I can go is (according to Get_Position) 0,0025, but measured with a feeler guage it's 0.04 above the bed.

@mvdveer

Username changed because I'm using my laptop.

If I have this in the microprobe.cfg

[probe]
pin: ^!EBBCan: PB8  # NOTE FOR V2 users: Set this to ^!PC14 to set the low level trigger 
deactivate_on_each_sample: False
x_offset: 55 #60
y_offset: 37 #60
z_offset: 0.0 # Will be overridden when you do a PROBE_CALIBRATE

I get this error - Move out of range: 115.000 97.000 5.051 [0.000]

If I change the x & y offsets to -55 and -37 it moves the toolhead to x5 x23

If they are both at 60 the toolhead stays where it is (60,60)

I think I have nailed the Z height adjustment, I forgot all about the bedscrews!! This is my first printer where the bed moves up and down.

Taking a quick look at the Klipper documentation for the [probe] section, it shows this:

#x_offset: 0.0 # The distance (in mm) between the probe and the nozzle along the # x-axis. The default is 0.

#y_offset: 0.0 # The distance (in mm) between the probe and the nozzle along the # y-axis. The default is 0.

Looking in my Trident (with Tap) my x_offset and y_offset are both at 0--which makes sense since now the nozzle is the probe. I have my old settings from Klicky (and probably inductive) commented out, and it had y at 25, which makes sense since that was behind the nozzle. So how far away is your sensor from your nozzle tip?

If you do the math on your settings, it makes sense. Starting at 60,60 and moving -55, -37 gets you to 5, 23. 

So that's x and y. For z, my Trident has position_min under stepper_z bumped to -6.5 from default of -2.5. That's allowing you to move the nozzle down from theoretical 0 to get to the physical bed during calibration. So, like @mvdveer said, try inputting -5 for now and bump it up if that's not enough.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, claudermilk said:

Taking a quick look at the Klipper documentation for the [probe] section, it shows this:

Looking in my Trident (with Tap) my x_offset and y_offset are both at 0--which makes sense since now the nozzle is the probe. I have my old settings from Klicky (and probably inductive) commented out, and it had y at 25, which makes sense since that was behind the nozzle. So how far away is your sensor from your nozzle tip?

If you do the math on your settings, it makes sense. Starting at 60,60 and moving -55, -37 gets you to 5, 23. 

So that's x and y. For z, my Trident has position_min under stepper_z bumped to -6.5 from default of -2.5. That's allowing you to move the nozzle down from theoretical 0 to get to the physical bed during calibration. So, like @mvdveer said, try inputting -5 for now and bump it up if that's not enough.

My probe is about x +37 z -25 from the probe.

I looked at the klipper docs, I haven't yet grasped it. It moves to where I expect the offsets say it should. But it wouldn't go the other way.

Is the objective to get the probe to calibrate on the 60,60 mark?

I'll try again tomorrow, and I'll set the position_min to -5 as suggested by @mvdveer

On a plus side, I got the microprobe configured and working - so that's a positive start.

The moving bed sometimes frazzles my brain, I've gotten so used to my v2.

Edited by TitusADuxass
Additional info

6 hours ago, TitusADuxass said:

Is the objective to get the probe to calibrate on the 60,60 mark?

Yes and no - It is a good safe position to calibrate - the centre of the bed. The X and Y offset is important for getting an accurate 0,0 position (Front left corner of the printer normally), so that when you slice a print, it does not fall outside the boundaries of the print plate. To set these, maybe this sketch will help:

image.thumb.png.9017b9a33c801a3ceb8c1968036d4595.png

This thread here explains it better than I could and works perfectly. (Replace Octorprint with Mainsail/Fluid in the description)

image.thumb.png.6c161053b509ec007245239f91ad5ed4.png 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mvdveer said:

Yes and no - It is a good safe position to calibrate - the centre of the bed. The X and Y offset is important for getting an accurate 0,0 position (Front left corner of the printer normally), so that when you slice a print, it does not fall outside the boundaries of the print plate. To set these, maybe this sketch will help:

image.thumb.png.9017b9a33c801a3ceb8c1968036d4595.png

This thread here explains it better than I could and works perfectly. (Replace Octorprint with Mainsail/Fluid in the description)

image.thumb.png.6c161053b509ec007245239f91ad5ed4.png 

Thanks,  I've put both issues to bed now.

Now, I'm looking bed screw adjust.

• Like 1