Hello from the Pacific Northwest USA

SteveThatcher

Just found TeamFDM and  joined today. I am a retired electronics engineer that has been using 3d printing (five years) to engineer and design aviation bays for high power rocketry. I have been using Anycubic i3 Mega-S machines but they have been worked to near death. I resurrected three of them with MKS Robin 32 bit controllers, TMC2209 drivers, 24vdc power, customized marlin 2.x firmware, and a MKS TS35 display.  One of them is printing ABS parts for two voron 2.4r2 printers.  Waiting for AliExpress orders to come in to put the first one together.

Looking forward to contributing when I can.

Best regards, Steve Thatcher

L3_bay_top_view_3x5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Voron FTW! 1

38 minutes ago, Weedly said:

Hello Steve,

I'm new as well, seems your over qualified... so your going to need to leave! JK 🙂Where in PNW are you?

I'm currently working on two 2.4's and printing ASA parts on MK3s. see you around maybe.

I am in the Kenmore area (north of Seattle a bit). As for being overqualified, never. We all have our strong and weak points. Putting them together as a team is what makes innovation happen.

29 minutes ago, Simon2.4 said:

Hey @SteveThatcher welcome on board. Nice to see some concrete 3D printing work; that's a sexy instrument bay 😁. What do you CAD with?

Thanks! If you want to see the whole product line, you can go to smtdesigns.com/store.  I actually use Tinkercad for all the work I do. It's free, I can create parts for hardware I use in my designs, and I can write code to create any specialized things I need like a 256 sided cylinder (the usual is 64 sides). I don't do anything artistic so to speak.

3 hours ago, SteveThatcher said:

I am in the Kenmore area (north of Seattle a bit). As for being overqualified, never. We all have our strong and weak points. Putting them together as a team is what makes innovation happen.

@SteveThatcher, that was just my way of say'n hello. When I joined only one person reached out.. was try'n to change that...

My shop is in Puyallup, south hill area,  I own an operate a CNC job shop along with manual operated mills and laths as well, some 25 years or something like that. I use auto-desk inventor from version 1 to current along side F360, Rhino Grasshopper and Powermill (pre-autodesk acquistion) as well as a plethora of other CAM software. Shaping things out of a variety of materials aluminum, carbon fiber and glass impregnated nylon.    

I do have a flare for the artistic side of mechanical things to complete abstract. Mostly, I just let people tell me what they don't know an work from that.

My actual name is Wade...weedly is nickname from my Navy days.

I always say, perfect is close enough!

Welcome aboard, and welcome to the TeamFDM community - so glad you posted an intro.

Also super happy to see other jumping on the welcome train, makes all the work for keeping things running worth it!

@SteveThatcher - I have been following JoeyBarnard at BPS space for sometime - and as soon as I get done with some House remodeling I plan to dive into TVC model rocketry - so this is 100% up my alley and am super excited to see what you building and how you use it in your rocketry.  Please be sure to post projects you are working on in the Creative Collection or off topic forums - so much growth in the hobby in the last 5 years its amazing!

Again glad to have you as part of the community, i look forward to hearing more from you!