Do you splice your filament

DanPin

I am starting to print projects that require more than 500G of filament.  So I have some spools with approx 400g of filament left.

I want to try to splice these partial rolls, but not sure  how difficult it would be to rewind the added filament back onto the spool.

Looking for input on how members are doing it?

Should I pause a print to splice on more filament, or just combine the rolls before I start a print?

Edited by DanPin

I can't speak to splicing filament, but I've got filament runout sensors on my printers and they are very nice for this use case. I do get a small section of leftover filament, but only the length of the reverse bowden tube. You can even make filament runout sensors with a spare switch and printed parts.

I haven't, I've considered it because I have too many rolls with ~5ft left that usually isn't worth loading for me. On my ender I've just shoved more in to follow the scrap up, and added the pause/resume addon to octoprint after that.

This is maybe where I'll get to someday:

• DanPin changed the title to Do you splice your filament