Mind the gap! - First Layer gap

Guten Morgen you lovely bunch.

I am trying print a replacement cap for the end of an umbrella (a work colleague asked if it was possible).

I am trying to get a smooth bottom (who doesn't like a smooth bottom?), there is always a gap. I've tried changing the line width up to 0.6.

Layer height is set to 0.1 (first and other layers), 0.4 nozzle, material - ABS

The cap is 20mm in diameter.

What do I need to tweak to close this gap?

SchutzKap.jpg

14 hours ago, TitusADuxass said:

smooth bottom

I think you mean the defect between the circle around and the center piece?

with slicer terms said: "gap between infill and outline"? My 3D Printing Quality Guide says to follow these recommendations: https://www.simplify3d.com/resources/print-quality-troubleshooting/gaps-between-infill-and-outline/

If you were using Super Slicer, I would say use Ellis' trouble shooting guide, specifically this one: https://ellis3dp.com/Print-Tuning-Guide/articles/troubleshooting/small_infill_areas_overextruded.html

maybe you can find an equivalent in orca.

9 hours ago, SuperBoppy said:

Initial layer height of 0.1 is too small. You want a layer height of 0.2 or 0.3 for the first layer. Also, you are too far away from the bed for your initial layer. You need to be closer to the bed.

Sorry, but my Z height is near perfect.

I agree about the 0.1 - I was just experimenting. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Dirk said:

I think you mean the defect between the circle around and the center piece?

with slicer terms said: "gap between infill and outline"? My 3D Printing Quality Guide says to follow these recommendations: https://www.simplify3d.com/resources/print-quality-troubleshooting/gaps-between-infill-and-outline/

If you were using Super Slicer, I would say use Ellis' trouble shooting guide, specifically this one: https://ellis3dp.com/Print-Tuning-Guide/articles/troubleshooting/small_infill_areas_overextruded.html

maybe you can find an equivalent in orca.

@Dirk you are correct - it is that gap that I'm trying to dial out. I know that it's a slicer issue, I can see it in the preview. 

I'll have a read of those articles and maybe fire up my S3D. It would nice to use it, after I did pay for the update.

Thanks

Edited by TitusADuxass

Posted (edited)
On 4/5/2024 at 4:26 PM, SuperBoppy said:

If your z height is good, you may have under-extrusion issues. Check for nozzle blockage, check extrusion rate

It turned out that my Z height wasn't so good, I dropped a very long way before I could get consistent prints.

I can't remember how low it went, but it was obscenely close to the bed. It was so close that I suspect that the toolhead was being pushed up by the extrusion (I have CNC TAP). I'm going to finalise my V0.1 build and then try the same STL on that.

Cap01.jpg

Edited by TitusADuxass
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Setting the line width to 0.6 is the wrong direction to go.  "line width" is the center-to-center distance between lines at for a 0.6 width the nozzel moves over 0.6 mm for each new line.  Keep it set at 0.4 if you have a 0.4 nozzel

Make sure the height is set correctly with a thin sheet of paper.   Set the first layer height to something larger. This way if the adjustment is wrong the "percent error" is reduced.

Finally this will have the largest effect.  Set the extrusion factor up by maybe 10%, this is the amount of plastic that comes out.   The factor compensates for maybe a too-small filament diameter, slipping gears in the extruder or whatever.  

• Like 2