BTT Octopus DFU Mode

I'm trying to install a CAN board on my Trident. I'm following the Esoterical guide to do the setup. Currently I'm trying to install Katapult onto the Octopus. However, I can't get the board to go into DFU mode. When I run lsusb, when it shouldn't be in DFU mode, I can see the board (Bus 001 Device 008: ID 1d50:614e OpenMoko, Inc. stm32f446xx). When I put the boot jumper on, push the reset button, and then run lsusb, I no longer see the board. Nothing shows up running sudo dfu-util -l either. Once I remove the jumper and restart the Klipper firmware, it will show back up in the list when I run lsusb.

lsusb results.jpg

5 hours ago, kingstar said:

I'm trying to install a CAN board on my Trident. I'm following the Esoterical guide to do the setup. Currently I'm trying to install Katapult onto the Octopus. However, I can't get the board to go into DFU mode. When I run lsusb, when it shouldn't be in DFU mode, I can see the board (Bus 001 Device 008: ID 1d50:614e OpenMoko, Inc. stm32f446xx). When I put the boot jumper on, push the reset button, and then run lsusb, I no longer see the board. Nothing shows up running sudo dfu-util -l either. Once I remove the jumper and restart the Klipper firmware, it will show back up in the list when I run lsusb.

lsusb results.jpg

Have you removed ALL connections, except for the USB from the Pi to the Octopus?  The Octopus will not go into DFU mode unless it is bare.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mvdveer said:

Have you removed ALL connections, except for the USB from the Pi to the Octopus?  The Octopus will not go into DFU mode unless it is bare.

Can I just install Katapult using the SD card like other firmware? I’ll look into that tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, kingstar said:

Really? That seems crazy. I don’t see that in the manual, but I’ll definitely give it a whirl. Thanks. 

Yes - I and others in this forum know through "been there done that!" You are correct - it is not in the manual.

1 hour ago, kingstar said:

Can I just install Katapult using the SD card like other firmware? I’ll look into that tomorrow. 

Katapult is a canbus boot loader and needs to be installed through DFU mode. You do not need this to run canbus though. You can flash your toolhead can board through USB, as well as your octopus board. Katapult just allows you to flash over the can network - very useful for the future.  There will be Klipper updates that require a reflashing of all firmware. Save you from opening the electronics bay to connect your toolhead via USB to flash.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, kingstar said:

Thanks everyone. I'll try these out sometime this week. Holding down the boot button while inserting the USB cable first as that is much easier and doesn't require unplugging everything.

Hopefully that works for you, it didn't for my SB2209

I am at the exact same place as you. I tried it yesterday and today and cant get it to go into DFU mode. I tried it with three different octopus boards and two differnet PI's, but still no change. I cant even get it to show up when not in dfu mode, lsusb does not list my board. two of the boards where in use, one is brand new... I have no clue on what might be the problem here, so any Help would be appreciated.

15 minutes ago, Dousi said:

I am at the exact same place as you. I tried it yesterday and today and cant get it to go into DFU mode. I tried it with three different octopus boards and two differnet PI's, but still no change. I cant even get it to show up when not in dfu mode, lsusb does not list my board. two of the boards where in use, one is brand new... I have no clue on what might be the problem here, so any Help would be appreciated.

Have you unplugged everything from the board first?

yes, it sits bare on my table, not even the tmc drivers are in anymore. only some jumpers are put in, including the power from USB and the Boot jumper.

18 minutes ago, Dousi said:

including the power from USB

Remove the 5V USB power jumper and connect to 24V - should then go into DFU mode

now, I have a, in my opinion, somewhat strange behaviour. the new board works now with the 24v power source, thanks for that tipp!

now,  the older one only gets recognized when the boot jumper is not in place. with the jumper on, it does not show up under lsusb. any idea what this could be?

4 hours ago, Dousi said:

it does not show up under lsusb. any idea what this could be?

Try stopping the Klipper service, then run lsusb. Also, If the board has been flashed with katapult and canbus, then it won't show up as a USB device anymore. (Will have a UUID instead)

I'm at a total loss here. I've unplugged every single wire from the Octopus, including the bundle that powered the Pi and provided the connection to the adxl for the LDO kit. I even disconnected the power wires from the Octopus, added the jumper to power over USB, and used a different power source to power on the Pi. The boot jumper is in place, but when I hit the button to reset and run sudo dfu-util -l, I don't see anything. Like before, if the boot jumper isn't in place and I run lsusb, I can see the board. When the boot jumper is in place and I run lsusb, I cannot see the board, but it doesn't show up using the dfu utility.

20240402_233518298_iOS.heic

Just to be clear. 

The boot number is on

Octopus is attached to the  pi through a USB C cable

Octopus is powered through 24 V and the %V USB jumper is removed

Octopus is powered on , and the reset/boot button pushed and let go a couple of seconds later

The You check to see if in DFU mode?

2 hours ago, mvdveer said:

Just to be clear. 

The boot number is on

Octopus is attached to the  pi through a USB C cable

Octopus is powered through 24 V and the %V USB jumper is removed

Octopus is powered on , and the reset/boot button pushed and let go a couple of seconds later

The You check to see if in DFU mode?

Currently it is disconnected from 24V and is being powered by the Pi. Does it need to be powered by 24V to go into DFU? Also, do I need to be holding the Reset button while applying power or can I push it after power up? Pretty certain I’ve tried all those combinations. 

4 hours ago, kingstar said:

Currently it is disconnected from 24V and is being powered by the Pi. Does it need to be powered by 24V to go into DFU? Also, do I need to be holding the Reset button while applying power or can I push it after power up? Pretty certain I’ve tried all those combinations. 

I could only get the board in DFU mode on 24V power. You can push the reset button  a couple of seconds after powering up, then release and board should be in dfu mode

During my recent trials, I was able to get my Octopus into DFU with everything attached in place in the printer. It was connected to 24V power (no 5V jumper), to the Pi via the USB-C, and I pressed the reset button while power was on. Once I had a good USB data connection between the boards, it just worked.

Tried a bunch more things last night with no luck. Even tried connecting it to a different computer running Linux and I get the same results with lsusb. Tried different USB cords. Realized today that there are still jumpers on there for voltage selectors. I'll try removing those as well tonight and maybe even popping a different SD card into the Pi with a bare bones Klipper install to see if anything weird there is happening. Can't imagine that being the problem given that it won't show as DFU mode even on another computer. I've even reached out to BTT support but haven't heard back. I'll give up eventually and just put Katapult on the CAN board, but I really wanted to be able to update firmware for everything over the CAN connection.

2 hours ago, kingstar said:

Tried a bunch more things last night with no luck. Even tried connecting it to a different computer running Linux and I get the same results with lsusb. Tried different USB cords. Realized today that there are still jumpers on there for voltage selectors. I'll try removing those as well tonight and maybe even popping a different SD card into the Pi with a bare bones Klipper install to see if anything weird there is happening. Can't imagine that being the problem given that it won't show as DFU mode even on another computer. I've even reached out to BTT support but haven't heard back. I'll give up eventually and just put Katapult on the CAN board, but I really wanted to be able to update firmware for everything over the CAN connection.

I am on the same boat as you on the boards I had already used with klipper on them. I managed to flash the new Board yesterday, and its currently in the Printer, installed, only missing the config. once I've done that I try to get the "old" boards to run as well, cause I need the other Printers running too...

3 hours ago, Dousi said:

I am on the same boat as you on the boards I had already used with klipper on them. I managed to flash the new Board yesterday, and its currently in the Printer, installed, only missing the config. once I've done that I try to get the "old" boards to run as well, cause I need the other Printers running too...

I just found this in a manual for updating the DFU bootloader on the Github. I have never tried holding the button for 5 seconds.

https://github.com/bigtreetech/BIGTREETECH-OCTOPUS-V1.0/tree/master/Firmware/DFU Update bootloader

Octopus DFU.jpg

5 hours ago, kingstar said:

I just found this in a manual for updating the DFU bootloader on the Github. I have never tried holding the button for 5 seconds.

https://github.com/bigtreetech/BIGTREETECH-OCTOPUS-V1.0/tree/master/Firmware/DFU Update bootloader

Octopus DFU.jpg

That didn’t work either. I also tried removing every single jumper on the board. Also with all combinations of 24V or powered by USB. No luck. Next up is trying the STM32cube program they call for in the link.