wiring ptfe where to buy

hello guys i need to fix a bad cable that i did, i need to buy ptfe wiring 22awg, i was between fep and ptfe that both are good options but looks like ptfe is a little smaller so it looks a better option for me, i followed voron link, to buy directly from aliexpress, but they are not delivering after 25 days and my printer is waiting for this so i can make it work again, they are refunding me , problem is, i can't find ptfe to buy, i looked into amazon and only option is FEP, and ebay and other websites do not have ptfe wiring, actually i found one option for 80 dollars 0.o, and that is really really expensive, i was buying from aliexpress 10x more for 20 dollars.

any good advices ?

Edited by PorcoMaster

10 hours ago, PorcoMaster said:

i just need the wire

No idea where you live, but go to a local electronics / radio repair / whatever-businesses are busy with wires - SHOP.... small ones.. and ask 🙂 You will have it immediately.

Otherwise, find one on aliexpress, there are literally by the hundreds of different sellers, and chat to the seller.. ask if they have a fast ship option.. actually they have it (AliExpress provides it), if you pay for it.

If you have the option to select for aliexpress - choice items, they deliver faster. In The Netherlands, Choice items are delivered exactly like advertised, within 5 or 7 days.

So if you have the money, Ali will deliver.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, claudermilk said:

AliExpress is where I've gotten mine for the same reason as you are looking there. You have to wait, but it's much, much cheaper than other options.

hei man, thanks, i followed the link from voron, but they didn't deliver after 30 days, i will keep waiting but i decided to buy FEP on amazon for now.

thing is chinese manufacturers are not always reliable, they might sell me fep or silicon as ptfe.

4 hours ago, Dirk said:

No idea where you live, but go to a local electronics / radio repair / whatever-businesses are busy with wires - SHOP.... small ones.. and ask 🙂 You will have it immediately.

Otherwise, find one on aliexpress, there are literally by the hundreds of different sellers, and chat to the seller.. ask if they have a fast ship option.. actually they have it (AliExpress provides it), if you pay for it.

If you have the option to select for aliexpress - choice items, they deliver faster. In The Netherlands, Choice items are delivered exactly like advertised, within 5 or 7 days.

So if you have the money, Ali will deliver.

hey man, i appreciate you response, but i am not sure i trust a small shop to have ptfe or fpe, or even know if that is the correct wiring, using normal wiring on moving cables will defitenely brake over time as i had experience as such.

aliexpress while a good shop have several unreliable stores, and they might sell silicon or fpe as ptfe, as we can't know for sure. i decided to buy FPE on amazon, as it's also an excellent choice, i just wanted ptfe because it's a little smaller than fpe on same awg, or current capacity.

2 hours ago, PorcoMaster said:

hei man, thanks, i followed the link from voron, but they didn't deliver after 30 days, i will keep waiting but i decided to buy FEP on amazon for now.

thing is chinese manufacturers are not always reliable, they might sell me fep or silicon as ptfe.

I dug through my order history. Here's the current link to what I ordered: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800358701944.html

That wire lasted around 2000 hours in my chains before one of the extruder motor wires finally gave up. I still have a bunch of it in the printer in non-motion locations or in the bed z-axis chain. Shipping wasn't super fast, but as I recall it took about 2-3 weeks for both times I ordered.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, claudermilk said:

I dug through my order history. Here's the current link to what I ordered: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800358701944.html

That wire lasted around 2000 hours in my chains before one of the extruder motor wires finally gave up. I still have a bunch of it in the printer in non-motion locations or in the bed z-axis chain. Shipping wasn't super fast, but as I recall it took about 2-3 weeks for both times I ordered.

I really appreciate it man, in the end i bough 100ft on fep that should be as good as, but I will probably this one too.

On 4/1/2024 at 6:56 PM, NikosSprocket said:

On of the following item, 22 AWG Gauge Stranded Hook Up Wire Kit, 25 ft Length, 10 Colors, 0.053" Diameter, PTFE, 600 Volts should be enough to wire a whole Voron 2.4r2 up to 300x300 mm size . For a 350mm and above you will need little more than that.

Thank you man, again crazy expensive haha, but thanks for the tip, if it's not possible it might be a good option

55 minutes ago, PorcoMaster said:

Thank you man, again crazy expensive haha, but thanks for the tip, if it's not possible it might be a good option

You are welcome!
PTFE cables are so expensive because they consider MIL spec. so you pay defense prices with house budget lol! Mil-Spec Wire Explained

Most likely the rest of your Voron will fall apart but your cables will be still good!

You can use silicon covered wires instead of PTFE and probably you will have many years of operation without a wire failure; as long as this printed is not running 24/7 in a production line.....

Cheers!

Nikos

Price went way up a few years ago. I bought the 6 color pack of PTFE wire in 2001, and it cost ~$60. About a year later I checked it and the price went up to $95. IDK what it costs now - I'm afraid to look.🙂  Maybe that's why so many install CANBUS in their machines to save on wire.

Edited by SuperBoppy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, the brandname for "teflon-cables" is HELUFLON perhaps you find more searching for the brand name. If you look for "heluflon wire" or "HELUFLON® FEP-6Y" you´ll get some results.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Hi ,

@claudermilk yes you´re right I´m german ( sorry for that 😉) . I thought Digikey or RS Components should have some because they´re running worldwide. In case of Digikey they don´t, but :  Go to Digikey , enter "teflon" in the search and coose "single conductor cables" . Of cause I´ve preselected "US" as homecountry first . There are about 2000 results. I haven´t had a closer look on the results but on first sight one should find some but I cant´t say if they are cheap or reasonable or not.

On 3/28/2024 at 7:57 PM, PorcoMaster said:

hello guys i need to fix a bad cable that i did, i need to buy ptfe wiring 22awg, i was between fep and ptfe that both are good options but looks like ptfe is a little smaller so it looks a better option for me, i followed voron link, to buy directly from aliexpress, but they are not delivering after 25 days and my printer is waiting for this so i can make it work again, they are refunding me , problem is, i can't find ptfe to buy, i looked into amazon and only option is FEP, and ebay and other websites do not have ptfe wiring, actually i found one option for 80 dollars 0.o, and that is really really expensive, i was buying from aliexpress 10x more for 20 dollars.

any good advices ?

McMaster Carr has it for $1.58 per foot, 10 foot reels seems to the the smallest size

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/wire/chemical-resistant-wire/?s=pfte+wire

They also sell a PVC covered wires rated for "continous flex" that is designed for use in machines like printers

I see PFTE on Amazon.   It is not cheap.  FEP cost less but if you need Remington sells a kit of several different colors for $80.  It is quality wire, silver plated coper with PFTE insulation.   

https://www.amazon.com/Remington-Industries-22STRPTFEKIT-Stranded-Diameter/dp/B0727RGDS5/

Welcome to the forum!

I see that the site promotes Tefzel for it's high heat and chemical resistance, and for motorsports for light weight. BUT. Is it motion-rated? That's really what we care about for the printers. Weight isn't a big deal in this application, nor is chemical resistance (maybe some ISO alcohol will spill on it). Heat won't get much more than 60C.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, claudermilk said:

Welcome to the forum!

I see that the site promotes Tefzel for it's high heat and chemical resistance, and for motorsports for light weight. BUT. Is it motion-rated? That's really what we care about for the printers. Weight isn't a big deal in this application, nor is chemical resistance (maybe some ISO alcohol will spill on it). Heat won't get much more than 60C.

Thanks for the welcome! 

Motion rated, I'm not sure..With the references in the thread to wire from Aliexpress and Amazon, I'm sure real milspec tefzel is a step ahead. I try not to take motion ratings seriously on Chinese wire anyways. 

I can't tell the difference in the insulation between tefzel and ptfe, except the tefzel might be tougher to strip. The strands of wire in Tefzel are neat and perfectly twisted.

Weight isn't a big deal but diameter starts to matter sometimes. Don't really need 600v insulation giving 24v pwm to a fan. 

That's 20 gauge 19 strand Tefzel in the picture.  

20240422_224155.jpg

1 hour ago, Dylwad said:

That's 20 gauge 19 strand Tefzel in the picture.

On their site they say that it is 'tin coated' but they don't state the conductor material. Being 20% lighter suggests to me that it might be aluminum wire which would not be great for a moving cables.

"ultra flexible" 20 gauge wire would have 100 strands, where each is 0.08mm in diameter.  The stands would not be twisted like that as the standes need to move relative to each other when the wire flexes.    The wire in the photo is a good and tough wire that would work very well in a vehicle's wire harness.   That is its intended use too.

If you need continuous flex, like for use on a cable chain, you are likely better off with (1) Silicon, ultra flex and (2) going with a larger cable chain. 

Or if you have the budget Igus warranties their "chainflex' cable for four years and claims 4 billion flex cycle lifetime.

For some reason this cominity of Voron owner seem to concentrate more on the insolation type than on the conductor.  In other places people think more about the metal inside.    I think this might be because the Voron cable chains are undersized.  Maybe.   

Edited by chrisalbertson

12 hours ago, atrushing said:

On their site they say that it is 'tin coated' but they don't state the conductor material. Being 20% lighter suggests to me that it might be aluminum wire which would not be great for a moving cables.

It's absolutely not aluminum wire. Tin coated copper. This is the same wire used in fighter jets and missles. 

The 20% lighter claim is comparing the insulation thickness between /16 & /32.