Tintin's Moon Rocket

TinTin Moon Rocket by Simon2.4

Published in the 1950's, These two comic books have had a great impact on my childhood. They describe a complete moon program 10 years before the real thing was done and touches on the subjects of aerospace engineering, nuclear physics, espionage and conveyed a great sense of adventure. Bringing forth the idea of propulsive landing and re-usablity, Hergé was quite a visionary author and a great inspiration for me.

690153964_tintinbooks.png.9b925ab579713aec35b0a4c47be650cd.png

As a flying model builder, I have always wanted to make a replica of this rocket but the curvy art-deco style was a nightmare to make from 2d materials. 3D printing is ideal to reproduce curvy shapes so now that my F360 are getting better I tried to draw it and it turned out really nice.

1691580856_tintincad.thumb.png.fa21fa856bc12c6183d43af32def8f71.png

The model is split at the first segment line above the fins. The outline of the square pattern and cargo door is embossed on the surface. The fuselage is hollow and the pods are full so you can scale the STL and print with infill to have strong feet and use a raft to ensure good adhesion.

slicer.thumb.png.09fbf76be57c23d51e8f100208507cdd.pngprinted.thumb.jpg.2067e7eba0d11089578dc4f6f0a23839.jpg

• Like 2

tall.thumb.jpg.250947873ec837c191ee92f28cb1f55b.jpg

1 minute ago, Tomson said:

That look very nice Simon2.4 👍 Well done. I have also good memories from my childhood with TinTin and i like that rocket style.

I may borrow your STL and print one myself😁 How big is your model?

Probably too big lol.  my printer is very very tall. Scale in your slicer for your needs. the fuselage is 340mm tall as is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Simon2.4 said:

Probably too big lol.  my printer is very very tall. Scale in your slicer for your needs. the fuselage is 340mm tall as is.

Yes i saw your Voron build so i guessed it was big 😊 To big for my printer without scaling. Are you gonna paint it red/white?

• 1 month later...

@Simon2.4 this is a great model with great childhood memories. I have a Voron with ERCF and would like to print this in multi-color. Can you share the top of the rocket with the STL exports for red and white separately or export the STL with multiple objects so I can split it in the slicer. I assume you've built it with multiple colours judging by your picture showing the rocket as red and white.
Alternatively if you share the CAD file I can do this myself.
Thanks for this design.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Snympi said:

@Simon2.4 this is a great model with great childhood memories. I have a Voron with ERCF and would like to print this in multi-color. Can you share the top of the rocket with the STL exports for red and white separately or export the STL with multiple objects so I can split it in the slicer. I assume you've built it with multiple colours judging by your picture showing the rocket as red and white.
Alternatively if you share the CAD file I can do this myself.
Thanks for this design.

here's the f360 export file. If you make something nice, please upload your version 😉

tintin v4.f3d

• Thanks 1

@Simon2.4 as promised, here is the CAD with the red and white parts separated to print with an MMU or ERCF. I'm starting a print today so will report back on progress, but so far, the slicer has dealt with the STL nicely. The STL contains multiple parts that has to be split before colours can be applied.

I've only included the STL for the upper part of the rocket because the leg section stays the same.

tintin v4 v8.f3d tintin v4 v7.stl

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I came across this post and I had to comment. This rocket has been a dream object of mine all my life. When my Trident is finished I will definitely start printing one. 
I have this beautiful scale model of the Jeep with the professor (don't know his English name) going : Is this the work of a fool ?  I want to print the rocket in scale to the Jeep.

I measured it in the comic book and it turns out to be about 120 - 140 cm high so it'll have to be printed in segments.

I'll have to figure out the best way to do this

IMG_20220913_062249.jpg

• Like 2

the scale of the model car is 1:43  if the scale is true, then the 4.24m Jeep Willys should measure about 100mm, given the above scene with the trucks and workers, I estimate a proper scale model would be at least 20 time the jeep's length in height, so 2m at least. It's definitely doable but a hella project for sure. Keep us posted!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, claudermilk said:

Apropos, I saw this resurrection post yesterday. THen took the kiddos to the library to return due books and check out a new batch. What did I see there? Adventures of Tintin graphic novels! The daughter grabbed book #1 in her stack of new reading material. 😆

It aged really well, still interesting and teeming with pop culture from the 50's Tintin is awesome*

*After Hergé eased on the racist overtones of course !

tintin_carried_by_blacks.jpg__600x250_q85_crop_subsampling-2_upscale.jpg.4b17e51679112b2c4b8028ea074f230a.jpg

This piece of cringe is from his early work. 🤣

Ah the blatant racism and sexism of our literary heroes; a complete lack of H&S; everything made of abestos and bri-nylon and food stuffs loaded with enough chemical-plant by-products that if you didn't fall off an unsafe ladder, leering at some passing dolly-bird, whilst replacing absestos then the food additives would give you cancer. It's amazing any of us GOM survived the good old days. These young 'uns today don't know how lucky they are...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Don't forget drinking straight from the garden hose. Riding unsecured in the backs of cars and trucks (the trucks more a US thing I assume).

I'll have to check with her how she liked it. She reported already having gone through all but one of her stack of graphic novels checked out. My little bookworm. 😁🥰

12 hours ago, claudermilk said:

Riding unsecured in the backs of cars and trucks

Or craming as many people into the car as possible (trucks would've been even more useful). I remember family outings with 6 kids crammed into the back of a hillman imp (something not much bigger than an Austin Mini).

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, smirk said:

Or craming as many people into the car as possible

Remembering sitting behind the back seats in that little compartment in a VW beetle. Head pressed against the back window. Those were the days

• Haha 1