Greetings from Sweden

Tomson

Hello fellow members. I´m Tom and i live in Sweden. I started printing for a couple of years ago and self learned in Fusion 360. As self learned i think i don´t always do it the right ways but i have finish the goals so far. I started with a Prusa Mk3 and later made a Bear mod. After that i get a Prusa MINI and soon after made a MINI Bear mod. It was so fun so i get another one and made a MINI Bear mod right away. I have looked at Vorons for quite some time now but i have always been terrified for the software part of them but still very interested to learn. I feel comfortable with the mechanics but eager to learn more of the software side. So i decided to order a V0.1 LDO-kit as a project and waiting for it to arrive.

• Like 2

Welcome Tom! nice to have you. The software config is a bit complicated at first but so rewarding when you see Klipper's advanced features kick in. You can practice with the software by configuring one of your existing printers to Klipper. When you succeed at doing that, you are golden for a Voron! I invite you to document your experience in the build diaries section and check out other member's builds.  Have fun.

• Like 1

Hi Simon and thank you. Yes I understand the reward of Klipper and that was what triggered me to get a Voron as a project. I'll probably leave the others as they are at the moment. But once I am comfortable with Klipper, there is probably a good chance to upgrade them as well. Then I look forward to the actual construction of V0.1. It feels very well engineered as all of the Voron and i gonna take my time to learn Klipper. I´m not i a hurry, that was project is about. To have a fun and take the time.

Yes i´m shore of it!  I´ve discovered that I actually like building them more than printing with them 😁 Same in Fusion, to make something from a thought is more satisfying than downloading something ready-made. 

Btw. It´s appreciated that you take your time with all the new members who come here. It makes you feel welcome.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tomson said:

take your time with all the new members

It's how I was welcomed here too. I'm learning Fusion at the moment too. My 'CAD-fu' is getting stonger. bruce-lee-kung-fu.gif.8ec78cd967ec710adbbd09f9545c5f89.gif

I'm starting a new thread for posting our fun designs later today. I just want to finish the print first but here's my last little F360 doodle:
168286103_tintrincad.thumb.png.d8ed9ea1d9c567148f02eb867539f89e.png

2 hours to draw and anther hour of revisions while using the slicer

• Like 1

Sounds good that you take your time. It makes new more active and comfortable. Your CAD-fu is not bad 😇 I love that cartoon like rockets i see as a kid.

Are you printing this now ? How big is it ?

I making some ideas for the V0.1 build. Not shore if it gonna work with the filament spool in the center for the reverse bowden but it looks more symmetric.

That´s the good part of the hobby, if it´s not working you just make another model with proper change 😂

606705246_VoronV0.1Build.thumb.PNG.94600db7de56b199f9c6b71398531239.PNG

• Like 1

Just now, Tomson said:

Are you printing this now ? How big is it ?

It's printing now. I'm going to post an article in 5-6 hours when is' finished

1 minute ago, Tomson said:

cartoon like rockets i see as a kid

This is part of what made me..

981364555_tintrinbooks.png.2d587f17881429b1b3df511be3a08800.png

Those are some heavily modified Minis! Mine is still basically stock--I just added a Z brace and the Z-box Pi case. I then set it off to print up my Trident parts. Because Prusa to Voron seems to be a well-worn path. 😁

What had me the most intimidated was the wiring--in particular the mains. Great, quick help on the Discord made that pretty smooth. The software side is much easier than it was in the past. I just used the MainsailOS image and all the base configuration is set up. The Pi will boot and run off of that. Just go through the instructions on the Voron docs site you should be good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, claudermilk said:

Those are some heavily modified Minis! Mine is still basically stock--I just added a Z brace and the Z-box Pi case. I then set it off to print up my Trident parts. Because Prusa to Voron seems to be a well-worn path. 😁

What had me the most intimidated was the wiring--in particular the mains. Great, quick help on the Discord made that pretty smooth. The software side is much easier than it was in the past. I just used the MainsailOS image and all the base configuration is set up. The Pi will boot and run off of that. Just go through the instructions on the Voron docs site you should be good.

😆 Yes claudermilk i think that´s why i´m here now, to go to the next level 😊 The wiring and the mechanical i feel comfortable with. The software side is worse for me and in think i have easier to do what i physically can see if that make sense. Thanks for the comforting words 😇 and i think you have right. There are a lot of good instructions both in writing and build series on YouTube. And i bought the V0.1 kit as a project to learn the software and I'm not in a hurry. And i feel comfortable i can ask somebody in this community if i get stuck and i think you guys are awesome.

• Like 1

Everyone who's used both says they are similar, pick the one you like more. Steve mentions that in the stream I linked. One thing is Mainsail is being actively developed while Fluidd is on pause--the main developer is taking a break. I had this video surfaced for me the other day and it's an excellent comparision--I'm surprised there aren't more like this.

For me, I like Mainsail and after watching the video overall I'm happy to stick with it., though the Fluidd file management part looks better developed though. The video did get me poking at UI setup a bit more, and I've changed my control panel from the default bars to cross because it makes more sense to me. I am thinking of flashing a spare SD card to give Fluidd a spin.

• Like 2

Yes i saw that video claudermilk and was looking in the same direction after that😊 In the beginning it looks more sense with Fluidd for just run the printer. But i think Mainsail is my choice anyway bec. it seems to have more options like for mobile use etc. and i don't know how i gonna run it the most yet. Probably by pc but anyway. I have another question. If you connect your printer with your wifi. How do you connect if you are out of wifi area? I mean the V0 is small and mobile and probably sometimes you take it with you, can you connect it local to your phone?

For me, I don't connect remotely. That is a question that has been discussed, I think I've seen it mentioned on Discord and Reddit, though i don't recall which. I think use of a VPN on the Pi was mentioned. Sorry, I don't know more than that as I haven't really looked into it (yet); I prefer to be in the house when I'm running the printers so far.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tomson said:

can you connect it local to your phone?

I would :

setup wifi access point on your phone, configure your raspberry Pi to connect to your phone's access point, then printer and phone are on the same network. I have not tried this since I have no use but I imagine it should work fine.

• Like 1

Thanks both of you. I have never moved my current printers either. But bec of the size of the V0 it´s a bigger chance you would. Many have asked how it works and it could be fun to show it live. And a video it´s not the same.  I understand Simon2.4 that you not running around with your tallboy under your arm 😇 that must be the tallest Voron2.4