Running into a strange print result on the Stealthburner

Buurman

Question

Never had this before, and maybe its the slicer creating this?

Im currently on Orcaslicer 2 Beta, not using the beta feature for this for Scarf seam.

The rest of the print looks fine, but this part is wwierd, its on the same height as the inside layer for the fan, so that is causing this scar on the outside for sure... but why... seems strange to me.

Maybe someone has seen this before, in the meantime I will try to print it with another slicer, but its a 2 color print, so not looking forward to it..

PXL_20240321_153832535.thumb.jpg.6a2fd638504006e85c521749fd5aae78.jpg

PXL_20240321_153708556.jpg

PXL_20240321_153752527.jpg

PXL_20240321_153815495.jpg

PXL_20240321_154726691.jpg

7 answers to this question

@Buurman I remember a video from Simon Vez where he was testing the remote CPAP cooling fan on the VzBoT. He talked about his experience with the fan pulling air from both outside and inside of the enclosure. Eventually he settled on pulling air from inside as pulling in external air created numerous print anomalies. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah crap... what an amateur... I only now noticed that the bottom is not 100% so it came in both prints (since I tested it twice) from the PEI bed..

And here I am saying... I never needed any adhesive... but I think it has to do with fan settings, I just switched to a exhaust that brings the air all the way outside, while temp in chamber is still 40/50 degrees, maybe there is a little draft there...

Maybe I will print it with mickey mouse ears first to test... turn down the fan a little.. 

But I guess this has to be it, since I never had this issue.

• Like 1

You speak so much in code... I am barely able to follow what you say. But... I think you concluded that you got a warped piece because you have recently installed a new exhaust? with a script that turns the exhaust on above certain degrees? 🙂

Not printed much. And only built 1 Voron. But the ugly bit looks like layer adhesion problems. 

It is indeed very weird that the rest of the layers are so beautiful and it just occurs at this location.

Not that the parts-cooling-fan jumps to ON at layer 50? (or so). 

But I think it is also a plausible explanation for this result, if it is another blower that turns on airflow in the chamber...

Edited by Dirk
dutch - english translation
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Penatr8tor said:

remote CPAP cooling fan on the VzBoT.

I have turned CPAP on the VZBot completely off when printing ASA or ABS due to excessive cooling. (Normally printed at 15% cooling for bridges and overhangs with standard part cooling fans)  I am not printing at speeds that require this amount of cooling.  I think @Penatr8tor is on to it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Penatr8tor said:

@Buurman I remember a video from Simon Vez where he was testing the remote CPAP cooling fan on the VzBoT. He talked about his experience with the fan pulling air from both outside and inside of the enclosure. Eventually he settled on pulling air from inside as pulling in external air created numerous print anomalies. 

Yeah, I will slow doen all fans a bit and see how it goes... never had releasing parts before while I still use parts cooling fan for ASA and ABS at max 40% ...

Ill make it max 30% I used to do without fully for ABS and ASA, but quality is a bit better with a little bit of fan on.

Thanks Guys! 

In the meantime I have a good looking SB front printed, I used a rift, took alittle more time to clean it up, but it looks great.

PXL_20240322_083113476.jpg

• Like 3

I was going to ask if the part was warping. I've seen similar defects when parts warp off the bed; it's showing you when the warp happens because the layers are getting extra squished as the part lifts up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1