Loosing communication with SB2209 CAN

Hello Everyone 

I have been running a SB2209 with RP2040 on my Voron 2.4. Since 2 months it has been working fine. It is running CanBoot under USB to CAN Bridge in Octopus 1.1 , since 2-3 days ago I am started getting "Lost Communication with the MCU" SB2209 in particular. So my first diagnose is the cable I have a spare SB2209 kit one so I changed the cable and in minute under 13 hour print I got the lost communication. So the cable connection to the printer is not the issue

Then I have re-flashed the spare SB2209 and install in place of old one. Started the same print approx 13 hour print and 10 hour in print get the Lost communication again. Now I do not under what can be causing it. Raspberry Pi is running on separate 15W USB C power supply. I am having the lost communication randomly but in this case this 13 hour print it happened 2  times at approx 10 hour.

I do not think it is wiring or SB2209 issue. It is something else I am not getting the pattern and unable to diagnose what is the cause here. I have printed longer prints in past approx 21 hours. There is a fan on Stealth burner that is cooling it EBB NTC is approx 62-65 C during printing ABS. 

Klipper Log

Edited by BUGBEAR
  • Like 1

Let's see...  Not the cable, not the EBB, probably not the Pi or its 5v power supply.  

That mostly leaves either the 24v power or the Octopus. I would check the 24v power at the toolhead and at the Octopus.   Unfortunately, a Voltmeter will only tell part of the story. If the 24v is significantly low, OK, that's a fault.  But you might also have electrical noise known as "ripple" that will not be read on a voltmeter but can cause erratic operation of controller boards.   

Stuff I would try:

Check the 24v with a voltmeter at both the Octopus and at the EBB.  And again with an oscilloscope, if possible.  If no oscilloscope is available, maybe try swapping the 24v Power Supply with a different one.

Two ways to check the Octopus that I can think of.... either swap with a different one or perhaps run the CAN through a U2C temporarily to see if the problem is solved.

Good luck!

8 hours ago, BUGBEAR said:

I do not think it is wiring or SB2209 issue.

It is the wiring.

Check out this page from Esotericals Canbus guide and follow the instructions given. It will lead you to the lines in your log file, line 383439

which is, according to that guide, a problem with wiring.

You can also go to the voron discord and ask them. I am sure they will help you.

Thanks

I did change the complete wiring loom and the SB2209

4 hours ago, ChicagoKeri said:

Let's see...  Not the cable, not the EBB, probably not the Pi or its 5v power supply.  

That mostly leaves either the 24v power or the Octopus. I would check the 24v power at the toolhead and at the Octopus.   Unfortunately, a Voltmeter will only tell part of the story. If the 24v is significantly low, OK, that's a fault.  But you might also have electrical noise known as "ripple" that will not be read on a voltmeter but can cause erratic operation of controller boards.   

Stuff I would try:

Check the 24v with a voltmeter at both the Octopus and at the EBB.  And again with an oscilloscope, if possible.  If no oscilloscope is available, maybe try swapping the 24v Power Supply with a different one.

Two ways to check the Octopus that I can think of.... either swap with a different one or perhaps run the CAN through a U2C temporarily to see if the problem is solved.

Good luck!

I checked the supply of the Pi and tried another 5v power supply , I think that is not the issue , I will check the 24v power supply as well. My next step is to install a U2C and check if that can be the cause. But only way to check is to waste  filament and time.

3 hours ago, Dirk said:

It is the wiring.

Check out this page from Esotericals Canbus guide and follow the instructions given. It will lead you to the lines in your log file, line 383439

which is, according to that guide, a problem with wiring.

You can also go to the voron discord and ask them. I am sure they will help you.

I did checked the wiring and replace it with an brand new one heck I even changed the SB2209 to see if there is loose connections happening at the connection point but same thing happen  in the next print. 

• Like 1

I suspect it has something to do with the Octopus board. I had similar problems (Loss of communication) with a SB2040 Canbus on a Trident. Switched to a UTOC1 and problem is solved.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately it did not solved the issue. Though I was a jumper short on Octopus side,I thought it did solve after but after few prints it failed agin with Lost Communication error.

I finally Soldered the CAN wires on both boards, these CAN wires were from a modern vehicle which runs ADAS on these 2 wires. So wiring side is not an issue either. So far I have tried many things , still not able to rectify this. Currently changed 2 SB2209 now will try with EBB36 board to check.

IMG_1836.jpeg

Edited by BUGBEAR

On 3/15/2024 at 9:25 AM, mvdveer said:

I suspect it has something to do with the Octopus board. I had similar problems (Loss of communication) with a SB2040 Canbus on a Trident. Switched to a UTOC1 and problem is solved.

I am also thinking of doing that. Ordered U2C few days it will arrive soon then I shall test with that.

• Like 1