Build Log or No?

I have started working on building a Voron 2.4 inspired Toolchanging printer. It will incorporate some other design elements, some done by me, some that suite my needs to make it a success. So, I wanted to ask if this group is cool with me posting a build log here? 

Here is a tease... Custom designed mount for everything.. Only preexisting design element is the MiniSherpa, which I extended with the docking receivers.

IMG_1378.thumb.jpg.a729989e1d01676850cd4b8a9ba3f5ad.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cjkennedy72 said:

I wanted to ask if this group is cool with me posting a build log here? 

Please do. I don't think I am the only one that will appreciate this.

Always yes.

Besides us regular visitors 'leaarning' something new, It might even help you later, when you need to check back or refer to what you have done.

And do not forget how most people land on this forum: by landing on a page of one of the builders, while searching for something not described elsewhere.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dirk said:

Always yes.

Besides us regular visitors 'leaarning' something new, It might even help you later, when you need to check back or refer to what you have done.

And do not forget how most people land on this forum: by landing on a page of one of the builders, while searching for something not described elsewhere.

Yep, that's exactly how I found this site and besides the awesome community-driven forums, the Mods repository is pretty slick and easy to navigate.

I regret not doing a build log for my own purposes and to give back.  I have started putting together a post-build log for the V2.4r2 build I did last year to share my experiences and lessons-learned, and will create build logs going forward (hint-I'm getting ready to start a non-Voron build 😁).

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks for the support! This is why I am becoming a regular around here.

I'll get the log started in the next day or two. Work is kicking my arse right now.... Fortunately, I have my Voron 2.4 printing the rest of the tool mounts, cooling ducts and modified mini-sherpa bodies. Everything else for the tool plates have already been printed.
I probably will not get started with the frame assembly until next weekend. I will be out of town all next week at a work event. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

When you design a structure using 3D printed plastic, don't forget that stiffness is proportional to the cube of the overall dimension of the part.  So making an "exo-skeleton" might work better thrthanee making a tiny interior part that the fans screw to.

My interest in 3D printing comes from robotics.   There are two basic ways to make a robot arm (or leg)

1) You build a beam that is analogous to a bone and then put the parts, motors, wires and gears onto the beam. and

2) You build a hollow tube and then place the same parts inside the tube.

As it turns out you get a better stiffness-to-weight ratio with the tube.  GEnerally it is not so simple as a tube.  A battery-powered drill is a better example so is an automotive trnsision housing.

Why does a toolhead need tobe stiff.   People are pushing them to accelerations up tovery high allectations.