Hello from the UK

xyleth

Hello everyone.

I have finally outgrown my much modified Ender 5 and it is time for a new printer.  Picture attached for reference, I call it Theseus because the only original parts are the extrusions and the PSU.  Everything else has been replaced by me, often more than once.  It’s served me well but I’ve reached the limits of what I can do with it and want to start printing filaments that need things like enclosures.  Plus a bit more speed would be nice!

After a brief flirtation with buying a Qidi X-Plus 3 and then realising I’d probably end up rebuilding that from the ground up I decided to bit the bullet and finally build a Voron.  It’s a daunting task that I’m not 100% sure I’m ready for, but I’m up for the challenge.  I’m currently leaning towards a Siboor v2.4 kit as the flying gantry calls to me and the parts list is almost exactly what I’d pick myself.

oh and dog tax, because why not!

IMG_2967.jpeg

IMG_0225.jpeg

• Like 3

I’ve tried enclosing Theseus before and it didn’t really work.  The gantry sticks out either side of the fame and makes it difficult.  Not impossible, but hard enough that it’s enough of a reason to just build a printer that’s designed to be enclosed 😜

I think I’ll go with the Siboor printed parts.  The consensus seems to be that they’re good enough to get the printer going and then you can always print your own upgrades if you need them.  I did consider PIF but I can’t work out if they’ll print the kit specific parts or not.

9 minutes ago, xyleth said:

I did consider PIF but I can’t work out if they’ll print the kit specific parts or not.

From what I've read it seems like they would. But no direct experience. I went with formbot, and printed hall effect parts and had to reprint for a microswitch. Probably a bit slower on PIF from what I'd read depending on the queue.

9 minutes ago, xyleth said:

Not impossible, but hard enough that it’s enough of a reason to just build a printer that’s designed to be enclosed

Yeah wasn't sure if you were going to print yourself. Seemed like the square frame would make it fairly easy other than the top and the one side with the chain.

11 hours ago, PFarm said:

Welcome to the forum! Beautiful dogs.

Thank you.  They know it too 😆

I just pulled the trigger on the Siboor v2.4R2 Aug23 kit (spot the product named by engineers!).  I'm hoping it'll be here in time for the Easter long weekend so I can spend some quality time with it over the bank holidays.

• Like 1