OrcaSlicer... Seam Eliminator

So, this is something I want to try. The Orca Slicer team is working on a feature called Scarf Seams that aims to eliminate seams by creating a scarf like joint.

It's still pretty early in the development cycle but looks really promising so far.

Teaching Tech did a really nice video outlining the details...

• Like 10

@zav3nd You should. I've used most slicers and have settled on Orca slicer. There's a learning and also a setup curve you need to overcome but once you do... you won't go back to your old slicer. That's the way it was with me anyways.

FWIW... this feature is still in beta testing and not available on the released version so bear that in mind when diving in. That said, there are still plenty of good reasons to give Orca Slicer a try.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

FYI Everyone... It's now officially in BETA. There's also a bunch of new settings and fixed as well.

I'm currently running it. I downloaded the executable install and it's running fine so far.

image.thumb.png.a4efe1c55f1f80b2d9b1c8b97e5bc3d3.png

Edited by Penatr8tor
Forgot something...
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, xyleth said:

I’m trying to like Orca on my Mac, but every time I slice something with supports it just crashes.  Which is a shame because it otherwise seems a very promising project.

Strange. I am running Orca on a 2019 iMac 27inch (Intel i5),  MacBook Pro (Intel i7) and a new MacBook Air with a M2 processor. No problems on any of these. 

For anyone who ends up here - deleting the profiles directory and re-installing Orca fixed the crash when generating supports.

Now if I could only get to the bottom of the 55m X axis shift on layer two I'm getting on every print I might get somewhere!

Thought I give the scarf joint feature a try.

I tested the feature on a cup shaped part with no sharp corners.

This is the scarf joint on the outside of the cup. You can definitely see where the joint overlap begins and ends. I believe the length was 80mm

ScarfJoint-01.thumb.jpg.c141f05ae822d622dcb29ed3f70d28f0.jpg

Below you can see a normal seam on the inside. 

ScarfJoint-02.thumb.jpg.a7306b68d062513d9c2a89135cfe1f87.jpg

It's not perfect but, given this material is pretty unforgiving... It's not bad IMO.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm playing with Orca more and getting happier with it. I was able to get the superslicer_to_orca Perl script running on Windows and I've been able to import my SuperSlicer configs over. That took a bit of doing, making sure to have the right notes for the filters to work right, and getting the line width definitions filled out so Orca stops erasing the json files. I've gotten some really nice, clean 0.25 nozzle/0.1 layer prints; using the organic supports is so much easier to paint on and get printed.

• Like 1

A quick comment after yesterday. For some reason my Orca freaked out and had some kind of error. It wiped out all my configs which looked like starting from scratch. Fortunately, I had just been getting back to trying to move my SuperSlicer configs over, so I had copies of many of them and I have a couple of 3mf projects saved. So I've been able to (I think) recover all my hard-fought tunings. So a word of warning, You might want to go into that AppData directory and make some backup copies of the JSON files.

I also wanted to comment that taking a good SuperSlicer tuning I have for the Revo 0.25 nozzle and 0.1 layers on my Trident and moving it over to Orca with the Perl script has been wildly successful. I'm getting absolutely gorgeous first layers with it, and I'm getting some detail overhangs I didn't think were possible. I think I'm now pretty much a full convert to Orca, though I will be watching for the big SS update said to be coming.

My main tweak I need to make is getting the organic tree supports spaced from the part properly so they come off as easy as the standard grid ones did with SS.

• Like 1