SB2240/Octopus RJ11 Wiring

adn

Question

Hi all!

I'm in the final stages of my first Voron 2.4 build, and I'm trying to figure out the wiring for CANBUS. I'm currently trying to wire the SB2240 into my Octopus v1.1, and from what I can tell I can use the rj11 port on the octopus to drive the SB2240. The thing I can't figure out is how to wire up the connection. I figure I can wire the CANH and CANL into the middle two connections, but I'm not sure which order to wire the ground and +24v wires. Do they even go into the rj11? The pins on the Octopus documentation for the rj11 are just labeled NC, which I'm not sure what to do with. Maybe I'm overthinking it and the red/black wires take power from elsewhere.

Any advice is appreciated ๐Ÿ™‚

Screenshot2024-02-27at10_27_44AM.thumb.png.fcd93430cadea054da9662fb794f242d.png

image.thumb.jpeg.ca373bcee515d12f4c2ab4a9d8e8c3dd.jpeg

5 answers to this question

If you are going to use your octopus as the CAN bridge, you will have to use the RJ11 connector rj11.jpg.c174d72cb559db707b09be03c329e7b4.jpgwith screws , to get your CAN High and CAN Low signals from.

I believe it is mentioned in the manual from BTT... let me look up... Most people order a 1$ connector and use that. some others have a phone line lying around that they use.

You can check out here for a long and complete (but also confusing) thread. But you can also ask ahead here ๐Ÿ™‚

11 minutes ago, Dirk said:

If you are going to use your octopus as the CAN bridge, you will have to use the RJ11 connector rj11.jpg.c174d72cb559db707b09be03c329e7b4.jpgwith screws , to get your CAN High and CAN Low signals from.

I believe it is mentioned in the manual from BTT... let me look up... Most people order a 1$ connector and use that. some others have a phone line lying around that they use.

You can check out here for a long and complete (but also confusing) thread. But you can also ask ahead here ๐Ÿ™‚

For sure, I was planning on crimping the wires to an RJ11 connector instead of using the screw adapter. But does that only take the CAN high and CAN low wires? I'm not sure what to do with the ground and 24v wires.

ย 

I also saw that thread but didn't see anyone saying anything other than that they were able to crimp the connector successfully, but maybe I ย missed something ๐Ÿ™‚

17 minutes ago, adn said:

But does that only take the CAN high and CAN low wires? I'm not sure what to do with the ground and 24v wires.

Yes. Only the CAN high and CAN low.

The 24V and Ground you can get from where you get all the other 24v and Ground lines from ๐Ÿ™‚ย Let me see if I can quickly circle a picture for you.2vnG.thumb.jpg.c414e193195e5ce541f10dc42bae3d55.jpg

ย 

And feel free to fix however you do with the RJ11. No need for screws if you can crimp it ๐Ÿ™‚

I have seen a video on this let me look if I can find that: edit: just for the SB2209 -ย 

ย 

ย 

Edited by Dirk
  • Thanks 1

Ahhhhh understood! That makes much more sense. I was trying to cobble together other sources of information, like just generic guides for rj11 connectors and I knew they could carry power but probably not enough and it wasn't even clear that the rj11 port on the octopus output power.

Thank you for the clarification!

You are welcome.

CAN requires current (24v & Gnd) and a High and a Low signal. The octopus board deliver the can signals through the rj11 connection.

I do not know why they do not document it adequately, maybe because they want to also sell their U2C board With that board you will not need the Octopus signals.

Come to think of it, the 24 v and G you can also obtain from the PSU.

And maybe someone should make a video on this combination: octopus / SB2240, because it is very popular ๐Ÿ™‚