Hello from the foothills above the Sacramento valley

afm380

I'm not much into social media, so ... I'm afraid I'll be more of a user than a contributor (but, the welcome message that I so kindly received when requesting to join the Community asked that I introduce myself ... so, here it is) ... and I promise not to be an abuser.

I've been printing on a couple Ender's for a year or so now.  And find myself helping other extended family member troubleshoot and diagnose their 3D printing woes (the immediate family members just give me project requests to print/design).  Most of my projects are designing/printing functional parts, like adapter rings for guitar pickups that have a different mounting ring style than the guitar that I want to bolt them into, replacement sliders for a Roland keyboard that keeps losing it's original parts, a storage case for my daughter's beloved mahjong set ... the list goes on and on.

What brings me here is that I finally pulled the trigger on a Voron 2.4r2 kit (as I really enjoy building and you can NEVER have too many printers).  I'm attempt to build the kit stock, but fighting the urge to mod make where it makes the most sense.  The dry run of my build is at the point where I'm looking at the toolhead, and here is where those mods are the most controversial/critical.  

... and that's me in a nutshell  

• Like 1

Well firstly welcome to the forum

1 hour ago, afm380 said:

(as I really enjoy building and you can NEVER have too many printers)

Music to my ears (pun intended). 

1 hour ago, afm380 said:

but fighting the urge to mod 

Might as well give up right now - the urge will only grow stronger and before you know it, you’ll have a fully modded unit, and………..

have had fun doing it.

Welcome again - happy printing

• Like 1

Thank You all for the warm Welcomes ...

As 'luck' would have it the first only real snag in my dry run build (so far) is that I just realized that my kit is based around the Afterburner toolhead.  Whereas I had assumed and printed Steathburner parts.  So ... In the spirit of 'moddin', I've found a CW2 re-mix to use the nema 17 motor that came with my kit (It'd be too easy to just buy the right nema 14 motor ...).  It'll also be interesting to see if the toolhead pcb will work out with the Stealthburner setup

I 'know' ... start a 'Build Diary'    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, afm380 said:

I've found a CW2 re-mix

Well, can’t make a liar out of @claudermilk - have you considered the Galileo extruder - a direct drop in for the CW2? 😂

Just kidding - build it stock then start modding. 

3 hours ago, afm380 said:

It'll also be interesting to see if the toolhead pcb will work out with the Stealthburner setup

That should not be a problem.

East, a little over an hour out of Sacramento ... so 'above' only in elevation.

Yep ... the plan is to build a reliable 'stock' machine to build a baseline from.  Then I'm sure the mods will begin trying to get back to that initial baseline. 

Edited by afm380
  • Like 1

I was going to guess Placerville or ~Tahoe first, but let my bias poke through! (I'm around Redding, but hey Fallout 2).

I was going to build stock, but went towards mods that made sense. And stuff that keeps me from redoing belts multiple times. Have you started printing parts?

Who's kit did you order? *cough* Build log *cough*

That way I have something to follow when I get to a 2.4 ...

Edited by zav3nd
  • Like 1

I went for a Fysetc Voron 2.4R2 kit as the price was too good to pass up (and only a little more than what I was budgeting to rebuild my Ender 5 to Core XY ... and I don't lose a working printer).  I'll attempt to produce a Build Log ... but in the meantime, here's a teaser of how the Stealthburner looks with the CW2 sporting a nema 17 

IMG_2961.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, afm380 said:

here's a teaser of how the Stealthburner looks with the CW2 sporting a nema 17 

Oh nice, and I love your colour scheme.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mvdveer said:

Well, can’t make a liar out of @claudermilk - have you considered the Galileo extruder - a direct drop in for the CW2? 😂

Just kidding - build it stock then start modding. 

🤣 ...I'll second that Galileo2 suggestion. Straight physical swap and just a couple of config file line changes. I'm quite happy with mine.

I also approve of the color choice. I'm not biased at all... 😇

• Like 1