launch project cr10 switchwire

StalkFpv

Hello everyone ,

as said in the title i am embarking on a project to transform myy cr10 into a switchwire like it and possible to do on an ender 3 as i said to myself why not do on a cr10 .

because i search a bit and i really don't find much in the search mode for cr10 

if someone has a link or stl file if this has already been created 

• Like 1

Sounds like it can be done. I have a CRX (Dual extruder, single nozzle ) in storage that needs to be converted to "something" .  Will be following along with interest and if I come across anything will share.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, StalkFpv said:

a project to transform my cr10 into a switchwire

From what I understand, the CR10 is very similar to the Sidewinder. There are a few Sidewinder to Switchwire conversions as mentioned in this post by @Dirk as well as my GitHub page which could at least be a good starting point. It would be great if you share your findings and progress!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, atrushing said:

D'après ce que j'ai compris, le CR10 est très similaire au Sidewinder. Il existe quelques conversions Sidewinder vers Switchwire, comme mentionné dans cet article par@Poignard ainsi que ma page GitHub qui pourrait au moins être un bon point de départ. Ce serait formidable si vous partagiez vos découvertes et vos progrès !

19 minutes ago, Ducky4546 said:

Intéressant! L'équipe de robotique de mon lycée local possède un Cr10 Smart et j'envisage une configuration de fil de commutation et de balise. 

15 hours ago, mvdveer said:

On dirait que cela peut être fait. J'ai un CRX (double extrudeuse, buse unique) en stock qui doit être converti en "quelque chose". Je suivrai avec intérêt et si je rencontre quelque chose, je le partagerai.

thank you for your response for the progress of the evolution of the cr10 i will share all the modeling evolutions if there is 

On 22/02/2024 at 22:00, mvdveer said:

On dirait que cela peut être fait. J'ai un CRX (double extrudeuse, buse unique) en stock qui doit être converti en "quelque chose". Je suivrai avec intérêt et si je rencontre quelque chose, je le partagerai.

On 23/02/2024 at 07:18, atrushing said:

D'après ce que j'ai compris, le CR10 est très similaire au Sidewinder. Il existe quelques conversions Sidewinder vers Switchwire, comme mentionné dans cet article par@Poignard ainsi que ma page GitHub qui pourrait au moins être un bon point de départ. Ce serait formidable si vous partagiez vos découvertes et vos progrès !

i have a question for the tap i would like to install one on the cr10 with the switchwire mods , except that i find no aluminum support for the switchwire 

i think i'm going to request a custom cut 

thanks 

10 hours ago, StalkFpv said:

have a question for the tap i would like to install one on the cr10 with the switchwire mods , except that i find no aluminum support for the switchwire

I would personally not recommend this.

The switchwire was not made for putting a TAP onto it due to the downward force on the bed. It does not work reliably. How do I know - I did this and initially - upgraded the bed to 3 rails -  was very pleased with myself thinking it has worked, it did not. Works fine for printing single objects, but as soon as you print a full plate, the problem starts. First layer is inconsistent.

The switchwire is therefor out of action and I will go back to restoring it to the Voron Design bed specs with a Beacon probe.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 6:54 AM, StalkFpv said:

thank you for your response for the progress of the evolution of the cr10 i will share all the modeling evolutions if there is 

No... Not, if there is...

You will take lots of pictures and you will share them with everyone.

This is the way. 😄

17 hours ago, mvdveer said:

Personnellement, je ne le recommanderais pas.

Le fil de commutation n'a pas été conçu pour y mettre un TAP en raison de la force vers le bas exercée sur le lit. Cela ne fonctionne pas de manière fiable. Comment puis-je savoir - je l'ai fait et au départ - j'ai amélioré le lit à 3 rails - j'étais très content de penser que cela avait fonctionné, mais ce n'était pas le cas. Fonctionne bien pour imprimer des objets uniques, mais dès que vous imprimez une plaque complète, le problème commence. La première couche est incohérente.

Le fil de commutation est donc hors service et je reviendrai le restaurer aux spécifications du lit Voron Design avec une sonde Beacon.

ok thank you for the answer, and I have read everything the problem that you encountered was on the printed part where you maintained the belts which was flexible, except that I am in the process of checking with friends who do the CNC cut to adapt two tabs to hold the belts and in aluminum like that it doesn't move

because the beacon probe is a scanner, frankly I wouldn't have too much confidence.

in addition I am going to change the plate to go to 6mm thick instead of 4mm to have the least possible deformation, of course plate revised by rectifying the cylinder head to apply the plate on a marble

• Like 1

I'm in the middle of my CR-10 conversion to Switchwire. A few years ago I had done a full linear rail swap, but was never happy with the Z axis,(long story on all the changes I made) Still waiting for parts to arrive, but I can answer any questions you have on parts needed and changes made.

429742802_888456629695181_4944137871855299756_n.jpg

• Like 3

Just a few changes, made were moving the Z frame back 35mm to center printhead to the bed. The exo frame I made when I originally did the linear rail swap. Moving the location of the z rails, I came across an issue with the length, either cut them shorter or extend the frame, I did the latter, making it 600mm, which is near the max pull of a 48" Key-Bak. If the spring tension becomes an issue, I do have a 36" version that has the heavier spring, I'll just swap the line leaving 12" out to compensate. The skirt consist of all Trident parts the front and back are from the 250 files with little trimming or adjusting the files to remove a total of 4mm in length. The sides are from the 350 files that need around 5mm removed. I had a set of closed loop stepper motor lying around that I will try first, but they may not be happy running Kilpper. Undecided if I will enclose, if I do I will extend the frame to match, for now there's no plans. Once this one is up and running, I'll make the parts for my next project being a Fysetc 2.4 R2 that I bought on sale last month.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BruceChoate said:

That's the probe I used for my Switchwire build. It works extremely well and mine has been 100% reliable. I also have a Beacon probe on my VzBoT 330. The Beacon is also extremely reliable. No issues with either probe. I will say that if you plan on using a Prusa style heated bed with imbedded magnets... the Beacon is not recommended as the magnets don't play nice with the probe. If you plan on going Klicky... get yourself a PCB Klicky. The printed ones can rock on the magnets if they're not installed correctly or if the plastic warps. Something to watch out for.

Here's my Switchwire homing Z, attaching and docking the Klicky probe.

And below is my VzBoT 330 doing a 2x full bed scan at 500 mm/s

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I might just do a quick video for an update, as everything is wired up and running. Just finished calibrating Beacon probe today and need to do some fine tuning before printing. Ended up swapping out the closed loop motors as a few had issues, so open loop with TMC2209 it is. Running end stop switches on x and y axis for now and the Beacon probe for z. The wiring is a rats nest as I haven't gotten around to routing them and removing excessive length yet, waiting until everything is functioning properly. Only other change I might do is go from 6mm to 10mm belt on the Y axis, holding off for now to see how it prints. I'm undecided if I even want to add a display, since there really isn't a need for one, but will definitely add a camera next. Build area came out to X 290mm, Y 300mm, Z 400mm.

• Like 1