Logitech C922 Camera Failure

mvdveer

Just an FYI.

I have now had two Logitech C922 cameras fail on Voron printers that were mounted inside of  heated chambers. The machines A   Voron 2.4 350mm build and a Trident 300mm build. Both cameras were mounted inside the enclosure and the chamber temps got up to 65C on these machines. On the V2.4 the actual faceplate of the Logitech camera came loose and fell off. (Glue melted in the heat)

I first thought it may the Raspi's overheating and installed ICE cooler fans. Raspi temps now around 35C under full load and still the camera does not work. Swapped out for another cheap (AUD20)  USB camera and problem solved.  From what I have researched, it seems the maximum temp for these Logitech cameras are 50C. So probably not a good idea to have them installed inside a chamber reaching 60C+ for an extended time.

Interestingly enough, this only occurred about 6months after initial install to these cameras. Guess I will just go for cheap alternatives and replace them as required. Cameras are only there to monitor print progress and alert me to pasta making. (Spaghetti anyone?). Don't need top shelve stuff really.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Penatr8tor said:

@mvdveer Time to get a Luke's Lab camera. Right now they're out of stock but I suspect they will have some soon. If they don't ship to you... let me know and I can be your go between.

Luke's Lab Camera

Thanks have bookmarked the page and will keep checking. Will let you know about shipping - thanks for th offer - appreciate it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dirk said:

Looks very much like the 2.50€ pi camera I bought on AliExpress. Also HD quality ..

Two totally different cameras from what I have read. I do have plenty raspi pi cameras and they can be a pain to set up with crows nest, and I hate the ribbon cable. That’s why I went USB. Lukes Lab Camera is a is a plug and play USB camera, with IR and looks like motion detection. 

• Like 1

Ah... I was wondering about the difference. I have a simple usb webcam which worked by simply plugging it in. I thought I will replace it with the pi-cam I had bought, thinking it would be a 'better cam' since it is so small and meant for the Rpi 🙂 

Well.. should have read a piece on that before buying... The webcam was so simple to set up in crowsnest, that I assumed the Rpi cams would be even easier.. hmmm... well... luckily not much lost. I will stick to the webcams they sell at Action for 9.90 🙂  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Penatr8tor said:

Night Vision...

I loved that feature on the babycam(2009), until my baby-son  could lift up his head and stayed awake... I found out that the night-vision was a carnival of lights that drew his attention 😆

But... who does not have lights in his/her printer? 

The Luke's Lab camera uses infra-red LEDs as it's light source for night vision, just like trail cams do. As far as I know, humans can't see in infra-red.

FWIW... I had to turn off the room and printer lights in order to get the night vision screen grab and I can confirm that it was dark.

Your son, on the other hand, might be more special than you think. 😄

• Like 1