Jump to content

Voron 2.4 build from a siboor kit. Build log after the build!


JBC

Recommended Posts

 

I finally found the time to start typing my build diaries. Although most of the build is finished I still want to implement some mods and changes, so this is for those changes. And, now that I’m writing this, I’m missing a lot of pictures. Should have made more.

My kit arrived on 16 December.

To start, Building the frame was not a difficult task, but somehow the frame has one square which was 0,5mm's off and another was 1mm off. The rest was perfectly square. I measured all the profiles and checked if they were cut square (which they were), so why this is, can’t tell. I’ve retried this several times to double check, but I think a couple of the profiles were not perfectly square.  Luckily the sides which were off, were on opposing sides, so these became the front and rear of the machine. IMG_20231217_091713.thumb.jpg.d4a9bb996bf3d11cab7fd8e97693f4c9.jpg

And of course the only place flat enough was my kitchen counter. But the space was a bit limited, since I have way to many things in my kitchen.

The next steps of building the frame were quite easy to do. No strange things here, apart from a small mistake, which made placing the standard belt covers very difficult.. (so I opted for the old V2 covers. Which are a visual upgrade in my opinion).

IMG_20231217_160300.thumb.jpg.c9d6edd6fff9d4d98945be35355c692f.jpg

Squaring the flying gantry was quite easy to do. I did do it beforehand on a somewhat flat surface (my floor). Inserting the flying gantry into the frame took a bit more effort, but was doable on my own. But inserting the z-axis belts took a bit of fiddling. There is a certain trick with lifting the frame halfway.  The first routing of the A & B belts also took a bit of fiddling. I had to re rout the belt because it trapped in one of the profiles, took me a while to see that mistake. 

IMG_20231219_213931.thumb.jpg.038e13751eb9512a06a0af84a1bb111a.jpg

My kit came with the stepper online motors, so there is one meter of wire connected to the ends. And they were all dupont connections, which is easy if you want to lengthen them but annoying if you only get red cable from the supplier. I had to take special care to connect everything correctly.

IMG_20231221_212856.thumb.jpg.4f3c209398b1de05c343ac716b9b69d0.jpg

IMG_20231221_212856.thumb.jpg.4f3c209398b1de05c343ac716b9b69d0.jpg

From here to a working machine didn’t take long. Everything was preconfigured, (which made my life difficult with the last klipper update….. More on that later).

And yes, the table is a mess, no space at all sometimes.

IMG_20231222_215234.thumb.jpg.0cd47b35dc3e6406b52737e23f1779b7.jpg

The first prints came off flawlessly apart from some weird gaps between the walls and the infill.

IMG_20240205_193618.jpg

Afterwards it was time to clean up the mess of the wiring. Which took me the longest time off all. An entire Saturday of slow rewiring. And of course the missing picture is the spaghetti of wiring that was underneath my printer. But the end result is something that I’m proud of. I’m a mechanical engineer by trade, but wiring was never something I had to mess with on a daily basis. Here is a picture of it being nearly done.

 IMG_20231223_175640.thumb.jpg.beccda1112729077450e557bf652ecec.jpg

But, here’s the kicker. I messed up with the rewiring…. I apparently broke two connections. This took me nearly an hour to find, since I ordered all the wiring. It almost looked as if one of the motors was reversed when I turned the machine on. This was the first time something didn’t go as planned. But everything worked fine afterwards.

After mounting the panels I could print and the result is looking good. I finished the main build just before new years. 

IMG_20231231_142137.thumb.jpg.1c317762038256667d752451e760778b.jpg

And here it is. as it was at the end of the main build. It took me about 2 weeks to build from getting the kit to the picture above. Maybe on average 3-4 hours a day over two weeks. Addictive building such a kit and machine! I also planned the build to be in my holiday so i had the time to build the machine. All the modifications afterwards took me a whole lot of time, till now. Somehow January is a busy month.

 

 

Edited by JBC
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The first thing i wanted to add was the smart filament sensor from BTT. I didn't have a filament run-out sensor on my Ender 3 and had a couple tangle issues in the past with badly wound spools. But i wanted an somewhat elegant solution for the placement. So i went with this model: https://github.com/mkelnar/voron-exhaust-mod  The only thing i don't like about this model is that everything needs to be routed through the frame. For the trident it's no problem but it's quite a wiring issue with the V2.4 (if, like me you don't have enough cable lying around, remember, a mechanical guy). So for now the solution is this: A hole in the side, but filled with hot glue. Why, because I wanted to add a hepa filter in combination with the nevermore from the kit for abs fumes. I need to redesign the hepa filter holder for another type because the ones I had lying around were to big.

IMG_20240205_202855.thumb.jpg.64fe27b461009364f8d6a42ade32f097.jpg

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...