Klipper Update and ADXL on EBB tool boards

I have yet to fully track down the issue, but since updating Klipper to 0.12.0.85 and later I am getting an error that the query sent to the ADXL chip on my EBB tool board is not formatted correctly. I had to comment it out of my config. 
I just saw that @PFarm posted a guide to updating over CAN using Katapult and his post ends with the same error I have been getting after an update over USB. The error is misleading and I went ahead and reflashed everything to match the version of Klipper on my RPi. But, the error persisted. 

Have others experienced this? Any thoughts? I am considering opening an Issue on Github in the Klipper repo, but really don't have time to work with developers to troubleshoot when disabling it and using the accel chip on my Beacon (V2.4) or IDM (VZ-Trident) works fine.

But, that doesn't mean I am not curious about what broke.

This error message is misleading.
Had it on both 0.2 and 2.4.

Not sure it is the same error message... 

The 0.2 not being CANBUS, the error disppeared after "flashing" the Pi with the new "linux firmware" (wich is a binary that runs as a service). Expected behaviour...
But on the 2.4, it also disappeared after just flashing the "linux firmware". It didn't complain anymore, and didn't warn for a EBB version mismatch anymore. Of course, I updated it... Flawlessly.

Also updated the Octo using a SD card. Didn't want to bother with USB and DFU mode, and the connection is via UART. Was unable to flash over UART, it seems there's no bootloader that can do it.

Yesterday, on the Klipper forum, someone from the Team (Arcsine ?) told that new features are coming, that will make these updates much easier...

Edited by YaaJ

I don't have a CANBUS, just a HartK PCB,  but im getting a similar error after updating this morning.

If I comment out the input shaper info in my printer.cfg,  it starts fine with no errors.  

Otherwise, it looks like this:

image.thumb.png.8c0cf257923b7ef3de71c5a1a3e109c6.png

My MCU is an Octopus V1.1

Edited by ken226

@ken226 Just build the "linux firmware" (Linux process in make menuconfig) and "flash" it on the Pi. Then, you can uncomment the ADXL settings in printer.cfg. Not an issue, just a version change ; main board with Klipper 0.11, and 0.12 on the Pi.

image.png.5f30ea3f9e8a1f523b24d46db30a0c08.png

11 minutes ago, YaaJ said:

@ken226 Just build the "linux firmware" (Linux process in make menuconfig) and "flash" it on the Pi. Then, you can uncomment the ADXL settings in printer.cfg. Not an issue, just a version change ; main board with Klipper 0.11, and 0.12 on the Pi.

image.png.5f30ea3f9e8a1f523b24d46db30a0c08.png

I don't know what any of that means.

Is it a command you run in Putty, after SSh'ing into the pi?  In KIAUH?

Edited by ken226

@YaaJ, the error @ken226 shared is the same one I got after the latest update was pushed. The ADXL Chip built on my EBB36 was working just fine. The solution is to comment out the Input Shaper config (the ADXL section and Resonance Testing). It has nothing to do with my Klipper install on my Rpi since I am not connecting the GPIO header in any way other than for power input. Plus, in troubleshooting I upgraded klipper firmware on everything but the canbus adapter, LOL... 

It appears related to ADXLs, or software_spi pins, as that is how it is implemented on the EBB36. Candidly, since both my printers have either a Beacon or an IDM (clone), I am not wasting time digging futher. I configured the resonance tester that is built into the Beacon probe and it came up fine and I was able to run input shaping tests. 

• Like 1