Clarification on "Line Width - 0.4mm (Forced)"

houstnwehavuhoh

Question

Hey all,

I'm getting ready to print parts for my first build, and this is something I keep getting hung up on/can't get a consistent answer. Per Voron documentation, it's stated that the line width should be forced 0.4mm. One interpretation of this is quite literally setting all line widths to 0.4mm. However, as we know, perimeters overlap slightly. So with that overlap in mind, are we adjusting line widths to equate to 0.4mm after such overlap, or is 0.4mm recommendation with that overlap in consideration?

With all of this in mind, I plan to use OrcaSlicer and/or PrusaSlicer (Orca preferred) - with PrusaSlicer, it's easy to deduce that the perimeter overlap of a 0.4mm nozzle at 0.2mm layer height is 3.975%, however, I cannot seem to find an accurate percentage for Orca (though both of these are Forks of SuperSlicer/Slic3r). Of course, this may not even be necessary if I'm assuming I need to compensate for perimeter line width overlap to equate to an end result of 0.4mm line width.

I've looked at various slicer profiles or recommendations from others (such as Ellis' SuperSlicer profiles), and a handful have suggested setting everything to 0.4mm, whereas a handful have recommended values larger to compensate for the overlap and to keep nozzle back pressure adequate. Looking at Ellis' profiles, perimeters are at 0.4mm, while adjustments have been made for infill and such.

And lastly, with the consideration of forced here, I assume that also means that Arachne should not be used to prevent variable line widths? As Ellis' Slicer profiles use the Classic perimeter generator?

So, where should I go from here? Am I overthinking this and should just use Ellis' Profile? Or how should I think about this (I like to know the how and why)?

Thanks!

2 answers to this question

I used Orcaslicer to print my Trident parts just about a month ago. I set all line widths to 0.4mm and everything worked perfectly. I did go through tuning using Ellis's guide on my old printer with the material I wanted to use before starting.

Tuning guide.

Edited by kingstar

5 minutes ago, kingstar said:

I used Orcaslicer to print my Trident parts just about a month ago. I set all line widths to 0.4mm and everything worked perfectly. I did go through tuning using Ellis's guide on my old printer with the material I wanted to use before starting.

Tuning guide.

One tip from what I learned, my seams aren't perfect. Changing them to Random instead of Aligned helped things fit together better because there wasn't as much material all in one area.