3D Printing RC Models

PFarm

Is anyone in here into printing RC models? Found the Heavy wrecker model though I'd give it a go. Assembly going to be like putting a puzzle together with little to no direction on how to assemble it. I like puzzles LOL. 

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4581519

DSCN0053.JPG

DSCN0054.JPG

DSCN0056.JPG

This will be my go-to for assembly 

Screenshot2023-12-10at8_36_00AM.thumb.png.a4d7856e6488e9d69f12a6f0bf333db5.png

Edited by PFarm
  • Like 3

• PFarm changed the title to 3D Printing RC Models

😮 That thing is a monster! I look forward to updates.

I have built a couple of 3D Printed RC. My son and I built a pair of OpenRC F1 cars; I kind of want to go back and reprint to the newest spec. I also built a Tarmo4 truggy. I think I have a couple old threads around here somewhere on those.

• Like 3

They need to be beefier. The Tarmo4 ones are probably 2-3x as thick as those; it also uses big TPU intermediate shafts from the gearbox to the diffs. IIRC, that model is intended to use metal ones. The main thing I keep killing--aside from crash damage--is indeed gears; both on the OpenRC F1 and the Tarmo. I have learned to print up a bunch to have spares handy.

• Like 2

More parts printed, when the Trident is complete it will assist in printing parts for this project (a lot of parts). Need to order more M3 nuts and M3X8 screws. Got some Esun Silk silver PLA for the chrome parts. It going to be a fun project putting it all together. Esun ASA black, Esun ABS Orange, Matter3D ABS Dark Grey.

IMG_2037.JPG

IMG_2038.JPG

IMG_2039.JPG

Edited by PFarm
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, PFarm said:

@madmike46 I've got some Polymaker PLA LW to print a few model planes as well. @ArkansasFPV Nice collection!

Even on small Micro or whoop frames PLA had too much flex. 1” and smaller props were enough to flex the frames.

This is a few more of my collection. I have more in the car and attic. 😂, I am a bit of an addict. The ones on the walls don’t get out a ton anymore. I have found about 12 frames for all different conditions that stay in the car so I am always ready to fly. 

IMG_2672.jpeg

On 12/30/2023 at 3:13 PM, PFarm said:

@madmike46 No going to be a model sitting on a shelf. 🙂

No fun in that :).  I shouldn't talk I have a DC3 with 85 inch wingspan that has only had one flight and a Norseman with 85 inch wingspan that has 12 flights.  Norseman is 5 years old now and the DC-3 is 3 years old.

It's a cool hobby, but can be pretty nerve racking when you have a 1,000 hours in thebuild.

• Like 2