Voron 0.1 BTT M5P / CB1 Stepper Config issues

Titus A Duxass

I am trying to get my Voron 0.1 up and running and am meeting the dreaded "Unable to read tmc uart 'stepper_x' register IFCNT" message.

It's a Voron 0.1 with a BTT M5P / CB1/ EBB36.

Everything is newly flashed via Katapult.

The Z and the Extruder both work, but A/B (X/Y) always return the same IFCNT message. I have tried, I believe, all combinations of the settings for Stepper X.

This is what I have for X at the moment.

[stepper_x]

step_pin: PC8 #PC8

dir_pin: !PC9 #!PC9

enable_pin: !PA15 #!PA15

microsteps: 16

rotation_distance: 40

endstop_pin: EBBCan: PB6 #^PD3

position_endstop: 0

position_max: 200

homing_speed: 50

[tmc2209 stepper_x]

uart_pin: PD9

interpolate: True

hold_current: 0.5

sense_resistor: 0.110

run_current: 0.500

diag_pin: PD3

I have looked in the Klipper log file and found - Unable to obtain tmc stepper_x phase Unable to obtain tmc stepper_y phase

I swapped the Z TMC2209 over to X and vickyverky. The fault stayed on X and Z still worked - that rules out the TMC2209.

A TMC Dump on Z looks normal but the same on X and Y gives "Unable to read tmc uart 'stepper_x' register GCONF"

So I connected the Z motor to Stepper X and X motor to Stepper Z - now X moves and Z returns the same error.

And I get similar results if I connect Z to Stepper Y. All motor work. Which points to a config error on both X and Y.

Thank you for any assistance.

TAD

On 12/9/2023 at 4:30 AM, Titus A Duxass said:

I am trying to get my Voron 0.1 up and running and am meeting the dreaded "Unable to read tmc uart 'stepper_x' register IFCNT" message.

It's a Voron 0.1 with a BTT M5P / CB1/ EBB36.

Everything is newly flashed via Katapult.

The Z and the Extruder both work, but A/B (X/Y) always return the same IFCNT message. I have tried, I believe, all combinations of the settings for Stepper X.

This is what I have for X at the moment.

[stepper_x]

step_pin: PC8 #PC8

dir_pin: !PC9 #!PC9

enable_pin: !PA15 #!PA15

microsteps: 16

rotation_distance: 40

endstop_pin: EBBCan: PB6 #^PD3

position_endstop: 0

position_max: 200

homing_speed: 50

[tmc2209 stepper_x]

uart_pin: PD9

interpolate: True

hold_current: 0.5

sense_resistor: 0.110

run_current: 0.500

diag_pin: PD3

I have looked in the Klipper log file and found - Unable to obtain tmc stepper_x phase Unable to obtain tmc stepper_y phase

I swapped the Z TMC2209 over to X and vickyverky. The fault stayed on X and Z still worked - that rules out the TMC2209.

A TMC Dump on Z looks normal but the same on X and Y gives "Unable to read tmc uart 'stepper_x' register GCONF"

So I connected the Z motor to Stepper X and X motor to Stepper Z - now X moves and Z returns the same error.

And I get similar results if I connect Z to Stepper Y. All motor work. Which points to a config error on both X and Y.

Thank you for any assistance.

TAD

I saw your post, but it confused be a little so I wasn't sure I would be able to help.   Just to clarify,  you say "So I connected the Z motor to Stepper X and X motor to stepper Z".   You connected Z motor (a stepper motor) to Stepper x (also a stepper motor)?  

If i'm following you correctly and when you said Stepper X, you actually meant the X wiring connector,  the original uart error was reported on your X axis.   So, you moved the X stepper motor over and connected it to A Z axis connector, and the error followed the motor to the Z axis.  This indicates a problem with the stepper motor.

Your last sentence confuses me a little too.  It mentions connecting Z (Z axis wiring connector?),   to stepper Y and getting similar results.  But, i thought the X motor/driver/circuit had the original error.    So, to clarify, you tried to connect the original (possibly bad) X axis stepper motor to the Z and Y connectors?

Edited by ken226

On 12/9/2023 at 1:30 PM, Titus A Duxass said:

And I get similar results if I connect Z to Stepper Y. All motor work....

I also received a similar message and had to look it up and ran into this post. Here someone explains that this message (unable to read TMC UART STEPPER register) is a fault message which is like a fall through / catch error message. And it requires you to do a systematic diagnostics to find out the exact reason, actually quite the way you started to do.

Somewhere else I read that this message meant as much as: The stepper drivers get power, but the stepper motors do not receive them...

The first thing I have seen people do, is to check if there is enough power. The steppers on my board (fysetc spider 3.0) require 24v and need a jumper on the board to be set. Sometimes this error is also thrown when the board is activated only through a usb 5v connection without the 24v power turned on.

The other one is the pins below the drivers. When you forget to remove a pin, this error is thrown.

And of course there is the possibility of a dysfunctional stepper driver or a stepper motor or a broken / burnt cable. And... euh.. a burnt circuit on the MCU.

If some of the motors work without problems, like in your case the Z and the E, then I do not think you have a voltage problem, but you have problems with the dysfunctional ports. 

You checked the TMC2209 stepper drivers, they also work.

You connected the stepper motors to the working ports, the stepper motors all work.

So the ports / stepper circuits of X and Y are dysfunctional. 

If you did not miss a jumper, or misplace one, I would suggest these circuits are 'broken'? Ask BTT for a new one?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dirk said:

I also received a similar message and had to look it up and ran into this post. Here someone explains that this message (unable to read TMC UART STEPPER register) is a fault message which is like a fall through / catch error message. And it requires you to do a systematic diagnostics to find out the exact reason, actually quite the way you started to do.

Somewhere else I read that this message meant as much as: The stepper drivers get power, but the stepper motors do not receive them...

The first thing I have seen people do, is to check if there is enough power. The steppers on my board (fysetc spider 3.0) require 24v and need a jumper on the board to be set. Sometimes this error is also thrown when the board is activated only through a usb 5v connection without the 24v power turned on.

The other one is the pins below the drivers. When you forget to remove a pin, this error is thrown.

And of course there is the possibility of a dysfunctional stepper driver or a stepper motor or a broken / burnt cable. And... euh.. a burnt circuit on the MCU.

If some of the motors work without problems, like in your case the Z and the E, then I do not think you have a voltage problem, but you have problems with the dysfunctional ports. 

You checked the TMC2209 stepper drivers, they also work.

You connected the stepper motors to the working ports, the stepper motors all work.

So the ports / stepper circuits of X and Y are dysfunctional. 

If you did not miss a jumper, or misplace one, I would suggest these circuits are 'broken'? Ask BTT for a new one?

Just for my own understanding, since I think i may be misunderstanding what he wrote?

When he said:     "So I connected the Z motor to Stepper X and X motor to Stepper Z - now X moves and Z returns the same error",   This indicates that the fault was originally on X, but after moving the X motor to the Z driver/circuit,  he then got the error on Z.   Indicating that the fault followed the motor from X, to Z?   Did i understand that correctly?

If it is a faulty circuit on the board, can the error move to a different axis when he moves the motor?

Edited by ken226

1 hour ago, ken226 said:

Just for my own understanding, since I think i may be misunderstanding what he wrote?

When he said:     "So I connected the Z motor to Stepper X and X motor to Stepper Z - now X moves and Z returns the same error",   This indicates that the fault was originally on X, but after moving the X motor to the Z driver/circuit,  he then got the error on Z.   Indicating that the fault followed the motor from X, to Z?   Did i understand that correctly?

If it is a faulty circuit on the board, can the error move to a different axis when he moves the motor?

I think he can explain it best. But it sounds like the diagnostics I followed...  All about terminology when you document things 😄 

1- He looks if the stepper-driver (TMC2209) is faulty by exchanging it with the one that works. it is not the case.

2- He checks if the stepper-motor at the faulty location is the problem, by exchanging the faulty-circuit-motor, with the functional-circtuit motor. Which is also not the case.

So I understand, the motor does not follow. Everything connected to the X and Y circuits are faulty.

And indeed I agree with you, that when he writes -connected the Z motor to Stepper X and X motor to Stepper Z - now X moves and Z returns the same error.- 

he suggests not the circuit, but the motor is faulty. But in the next sentence he clearly says: the motors are all ok 😄

So yea... 

• Like 1

Gents,

Thanks for your inputs to this confusing situtation.

I did some more fault analysis and can now say that - all the motors work.

The constant fault is the STEPPER_BUZZ=stepperx. I either have a failure on the M5P/CB1 or something went Pete Tong during the flashing. I am going to try and reflash everything this weekend, but this time I will use Canboot instead of Katapult.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TitusADuxass said:

I will use Canboot instead of Katapult.

Katapult = Canboot. Has been renamed as the GitHub states: 

Katapult (formerly known as CanBoot)

On 12/19/2023 at 11:32 AM, TitusADuxass said:

I ended up getting a new M5P, the failed one is going back.

As I understand, in most cases this error means the MCU is not okay. I am glad you could simply send it back. I assume Amazon. Good service 🙂 

I had contact with the sales person from BTT on AliExpress. She said they provide replacements for failing hardware. It is good to know, in case an MCU again gives this error message.

• Like 1