And another Micron+ build

Xplaner

Checking the perpendiculars with engineering squares told one story but measuring the diagonals was a frustrating way to discover I wasn't as accurate as I believed. Having said that , lightly squeezing the longer diagonals will correct the sub millimetre differences. 
Assembling the frame was straightforward. There were 2 small hurdles one solved by re-reading mvdveer's build log. Two extrusions in the manual are shorter than those supplied in the kit . They are the beams that support the bed , which now don't require the printed triangular extrusion ends . The other advantage of not having the corner brackets on the two bed supporting extrusions is nuts don't have to be preloaded on the sides.

the second was more obscure:  page 48 of the  official January manual specifies 8mm long screws to fix the X linear rail to the extrusion . One or two of them were a fraction of a mm too long for the Honeybadger rails and prevented full tightening of the rail onto the extrusion . All fixed by exposing the face of the bolts to a grinding wheel for a few seconds

A third minor obstacle . There is no ideal stl for the 2mm nut holders that will fit to the diagonal length of a voron 0.1 bed . I just printed several extras of the longest  ones of the STL that did fit and cut whatever length required to meet the need.

IMG_0905.png

Edited by Xplaner
Additions

A small problem with the fitting of the igus bearings into the z joints . The bearings stand proud of the surface which sits on the surface of the rail carriage . 

IMG_0910.jpeg

the image is grainy and there is parallax error in the photo so its not as bad as it looks . Solutions applied 1) reprinted the z-joint vertically with brims 2) applied x-y hole compensation in Orca slicer 3) sanded the hole so the bearing fit more deeply and 4) shaved just a whisker off the outer part of the Igus which contacts the linear rail carriage. 

Edited by Xplaner
  • Like 1

Z drive shaft assembly . LDO kit 2GT 16 tooth pulleys are 15.5 mm long . The required spacers to build the drive shaft are in the github stl files in  the 15.5 folder https://github.com/PrintersForAnts/Micron/tree/main/STLs/Z_Drive/Spacers/15.5L . I built the shaft assembly using Mvdveer's build log which explains in detail what is required . 

IMG_0912.jpeg

Edited by Xplaner
  • Like 1

So far , I havent encountered any major problems . This is the latest step

IMG_0913.jpeg

I'm not sure why the pictures are being loaded upside down . This is the L.E.O.P.A.R.D Mod of the shaft assembly . Fixing the base of the case required a 3mm tap of the end of the vertical extrusion . In practice what it means is there are no long screws fixing the assembly to the frame . Just three M3 x 6  holds it all firmly . The mod is just different ; I don't think it will lead to better prints but I am pleased with the way it all went together.

IMG_0917.jpeg

IMG_0919.jpeg

Edited by Xplaner
  • Like 3