LDO Trident Questions

kingstar

Hi All,

I picked up a Rev A 250mm LDO Trident kit on a Black Friday deal and I have a couple of questions.

1. Are the wires long enough to work with the inverted electronics mod?
  2. I currently have an LGQ Lite on my heavily modified Ender 3, but I am thinking about using something else for the Trident. Are the CW2 parts compatible with the Sherpa Mini/Micro? It seems like they are, but I was wondering if anyone has done the mod and can confirm.

Thanks,

kingstar

1 minute ago, kingstar said:

Are the wires long enough to work with the inverted electronics mod?

Yes they are. Nothing really changes except the electronics is accessible without having to invert to tilt the machine. Cableing is basically unchanged.

3 minutes ago, kingstar said:

Are the CW2 parts compatible with the Sherpa Mini/Micro? I

Looking at the BOM of both, the parts to build a CW2, can be used to build a mini-sherpa. Personally have not build this, just stuck to the CW2 which is a great extruder in my humble opinion.

6 minutes ago, mvdveer said:

Yes they are. Nothing really changes except the electronics is accessible without having to invert to tilt the machine. Cableing is basically unchanged.

Looking at the BOM of both, the parts to build a CW2, can be used to build a mini-sherpa. Personally have not build this, just stuck to the CW2 which is a great extruder in my humble opinion.

Thanks for the quick reply. Maybe I'll start with CW2 and then that will give me another future mod to work on. Probably also combined with a change to Dragonburner. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Rev A of the LDO kit doesn't have a connector for the Neopixels in the Stealthburner using the breakout board. It looks like the new Rev C has the same 14 wire cable. Are people just repurposing wires or connections for the Rev A version? On the LDO kit, the X Endstop isn't on the head, so maybe I could steal those two connections, but I would need one more, correct?

Kit Rev A board.png

Kit Rev C board.png

You would only need two wires, 5v and RGB. You could use Ground from elsewhere on the board, like the ground at the X endstop connector. If you were to repurpose the X Endstop wire for RGB, you would still need a +5v source.  Unless you wanted to find some 24v Neopixel lights you will have to run at least one more wire.

The lower picture shows the newer board has a second, two wire Neopixel cable with  5v and RGB terminals just below the main 14 wire connector. 

All of this unwieldy wiring is why I went with CANbus.... only four wires but a whole lot more connections on the toolboard and even an accelerometer built in!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ChicagoKeri said:

You would only need two wires, 5v and RGB. You could use Ground from elsewhere on the board, like the ground at the X endstop connector. If you were to repurpose the X Endstop wire for RGB, you would still need a +5v source.  Unless you wanted to find some 24v Neopixel lights you will have to run at least one more wire.

The lower picture shows the newer board has a second, two wire Neopixel cable with  5v and RGB terminals just below the main 14 wire connector. 

All of this unwieldy wiring is why I went with CANbus.... only four wires but a whole lot more connections on the toolboard and even an accelerometer built in!

I see. I didn't realize it was an extra cable they had ran to connect there. Though it was an out and not an in. I'll likely just leave out the Neopixels for now. Planning to do Can in a future upgrade along with changing to a Dragonburner. I'll wait to add them until I do that. Maybe.