Seeking umbilical mod without canbus

H4kunaMatata

Hi all,

I have checked Trident section but it is fairly empty and all the questions seem to be done here.

I have a LDO Trident 300 and would like to replace its chain with umbilical while sticking with LDO harness.
I had asked VD Discord but got nothing.

I don't need anything fancy, just an umbilical mod and remove the chains.
I am pretty sure the community has a preference for a mod or another, I would like to avoid having to touch this harness again because I need to replace something and it doesn't work well.

Please, let me know if you use umbilical mod with canbus. I am sticking with LDO harness and the LDO PCBs toolboard.

I tried to search for umbilical mods but unless I cannot search anything, I found nothing. Will keep trying.

Thanks a lot

3 hours ago, H4kunaMatata said:

Hi all,

I have checked Trident section but it is fairly empty and all the questions seem to be done here.

I have a LDO Trident 300 and would like to replace its chain with umbilical while sticking with LDO harness.
I had asked VD Discord but got nothing.

I don't need anything fancy, just an umbilical mod and remove the chains.
I am pretty sure the community has a preference for a mod or another, I would like to avoid having to touch this harness again because I need to replace something and it doesn't work well.

Please, let me know if you use umbilical mod with canbus. I am sticking with LDO harness and the LDO PCBs toolboard.

I tried to search for umbilical mods but unless I cannot search anything, I found nothing. Will keep trying.

Thanks a lot

I found this on Printables which looks to be using a cable gland for strain relief and screws onto the Stealthburner in place of the drag-chain mount. You might need to de-pin and re-pin the MicroFit3 connector to fit the wiring through the gland though.

• Like 1

You need to decide which Cable gland size you are going to use PG7, PG9 or PG11 etc, depending on the size of the wire loom.

PGCableGlandSizeChart.jpg.90b9cbd1b5017721930bbaa6508cf15b.jpg

I use the PG7 gland as I run canbus and only have 4 wires in the umbilical.

PG7: 

PG7 Cable Gland                    

Two parts needs to be replaced: (As shown from my Trident 300mm build)

1. The cable chain receiver on the toolhead and

IMG_5401.thumb.png.c147bcbae66271e6fd5e17dca62f0315.png

2. The entrance into the Z-Chain for the wires.

IMG_5402.thumb.png.8b213bcc8663b428a1a5e7cf4c802bb5.png

This can also be installed in the back panel.

I have attached a few PG7 stl files for your info

a_wire_cover_pg7.stl Umbilical_cable_PG7_5mm_cable_cutout.stl Y bumper.stl Stubby PG7 Cable Gland Mount.stl cw2_umbPG7_skinnyy.stl

• Like 3

The download is not the same as your photo, but it is the one I also use.

The cutout makes it easy to not have to retract all the wires, but often you do anyhow.

I have just added a solid bumper, since it also holds your X gantry, this way you can still put some strength on the screw, the hollow one breaks easy.

I do like the photo one also, having the PG7 further in the corner, could you see if you can find the Y endstop STL also?

@mvdveer

[a]_Bumper_Y_Stop.stl

• Like 2

@mvdveer, thank you so much for sharing that.

My problem is that I had LDO so LDO PCB and I am not willing to go canbus.
LDO harness is 14 cables so PG means crimping the whole cable or using a tool to disconnect the pin, pass it through the PG7 and connect it back into the JST connector.

I am hoping to find a solution I do not require to crimp or change anything, basically remove the chain and install the new umbilical mode.

Unfortunately, there is no much to no detail at all 😞

23 hours ago, mvdveer said:

I'll keep looking - maybe there is something out there.

Found it.

Harness guide that does not required PG7 so no crimping and LDO harness compatible: https://www.printables.com/model/595212-voron-trident-a-drive-umbilical-guide
I have beacon probe and right now it isn't the prettiest path ( to avoid chain ) so this mode will solve two "issues" at once.

image.thumb.png.606aea068a68df9da288159c5d5cfe08.png

Also, fully printed CW2 PUG: https://www.printables.com/model/378567-pug-parametric-umbilical-gland-for-cw2
So no cutting, crimping, just plug & play.

I bought some MDPC-X cable sleeve to make things look professional and that should do it.
Drying my ASA ( haven't used it for months ) I should be able to finally get rid of the chain.

image.thumb.png.2a8b85a39120c2e6e8783939fdc0db83.png

Edited by H4kunaMatata
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...

Hello H4kunaMatata

Thank you for posting the mod! I was also looking for the same solution as I have removed my cable / guide chains, removed the end stop switches and setup sensorless homing which is working great. But I have my cable currently hanging from the top rear vent which I don't like. Can I ask, does the MDPC-X cable sleeve stiffen up the wire harness? I don't quite understand how the harness doesn't "flop" down below the toolhead due to the length and weight.

Cheers

Evan