VZBot-330AWD.... I mean VZTrident (doh!)

cjkennedy72

6 hours ago, cjkennedy72 said:

I have ordered 3 new leadscrews and MGN12H rails to implement the Trident/Rat-Rig style Triple-Z bed mount.

Should have done that myself. Still will as I received all the CNC parts now to replace the printed parts.

• Like 1

• cjkennedy72 changed the title to VZBot-330AWD.... I mean VZTrident (doh!)

Good to know I am not alone! 
In the meantime, I had meant to order a 5" DSI display that wasn't a BTT screen since I have had two now with wonky connectors... I ordered a 7 inch screen late one night not paying attention.  So, I have this screen and cannot find a case I liked or a mount.

Well, I solved the case issue.... a few hours in Fusion360 and I now have:
image.thumb.jpeg.063bfe3cdf19fca6aeecdfbcf2d5196a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.170c78aabf23159e75558bc2d324da8f.jpeg

Link to screen design on Printables: https://www.printables.com/model/696953-osoyoo-7-inch-dsi-lcd-screen-case

Now to sort out mounting it to the frame.... I am thinking I will use the RPi mounting posts as a starting point.

More to come....

Edited by cjkennedy72
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So back to work on this baby! 
I have received all the components, already had a couple of sets of the VCore style ball nuts, etc... but they are 5mm and the bed holes are 3mm. SO... I had to order a M3 to M5 adapter set from Amazon. They advertise it as a thread repair kit, but hey.... 10mm M5 outside, M3 threaded inside.. works for me, so call it whatever you want. They should be here Tuesday.

I have devised a couple of options to go ahead and build temporary mounts to get everything working, just deciding if its worth it. They are easily removed and the real solution installed, so we will see.

For posterity... the CRAPPY Z Axis mechanics are gone, and installed are 3 450mm MGN12H Linear Rails, Leadscrews, and the other stuff needed. Let me tell you about how much of a B***h it was to get the 20x10 magnets in place!

IMG_1351.thumb.jpg.a1081e1c623d91026400033720a76488.jpg

If I decide to wait on the thead kit, then I will probably go ahead and redress the electronics bay and get a deck in there to cover that stuff. We will see...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been a little while since I have been able to work on this, and or take time to talk about it... However, outside of "Fit and Finish" work, I would say the VZ-Trident is a success!

I can easily make a list of the "Still to do" items.. but I can also print PLA on it, and that is the plan for now. I am going to get the logo to finally stick, put in the bottom panel to cover the electronics, and a couple of other more important things that I already have mostly ready to mount. 

I was just happy to get it off my work area and print something, so thought I would share.

Good luck with whatever project you are working on!

IMG_1359.png

PS... 69th post.... PERFECT! HAHA

Edited by cjkennedy72
  • Like 2

For now, I am calling this done! Here is a before and after set of pictures... NOT THE SAME PRINTER I STARTED WITH! ROFL.

Here is what it started as when purchased originally:
image.png.4eefae6ecd27e3e88a5eb70786b28324.png 
Here is where I was with mods to make the frame more sturdy, try to compensate for the VERY warped bed... Basically trying to make it not suck:

951BE5C9-FB58-44A2-8654-B2DC02483104_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.55530fcb8be6ba525f63fdb33039021f.jpeg'

And I would like to formally introduce you all to "BigOrange" (yes I name my printers)

image.thumb.jpeg.999c77a8ccc0e2a7d715b066b35950d7.jpeg

She is not a standard Voron Trident, or VZBot-330AWD, but she is fast and so far, click and print!

• Like 2
  • Voron FTW! 1

• 2 months later...

Hi!

I know it has been a while since the last update on the hermit crab. If you still have the stl files for the remixed vzbot printhead (to use with hermit crab), I would be grateful if I could get my hands on those. 

Thank you in advance!

Top plate MGN9C_HermitCrab_plate.stlBottom plate round standoff.stl

These are the stl's of what I had hacked together for this before I decided to grasp the level of addiction to 3d-printing I have attained and started working with CAD again. It had only been about 30 years since I had last used AutoCAD on Windows 95.... LOL. A LOT has changed!

Anyway, these plus the standard backplate with round standoffs were what I was testing with, to the best of my recollection, which isn't worth a lot.

Best of luck with them! I'll eventually revisit using the Hermit Crab again someday.. but I have an E3D Tool-changer clone I am working on right now.