A Corexy that uses MGN12H and Nema17 on all axis??

Graymattor

Hi All,

I'm still having a serious mental battle over converting my CR-10 Smart Pro! Basically it's looking like all that will be left of the original machine is the base extrusions (maybe, or maybe not) and the PSU! Everything else is either replaced or upgraded! It just feels a waste of a printer and a waste of rather expensive parts I've procured! Originally I was just going the switchwire conversion, but me being me I've gone over the top to try and make it as best as possible, and failing! 

This leads me to this thread! I think i would prefer to put the parts in to a Corexy (or just do my own version of a scratch build switchwire based on my CR-10 Smart Pro!!)

My biggest expense has been the genuine hiwin MGN12H linear rails, 4x 500mm and 1 x 380mm, and 4x superspeedy nema17 LDO motors (as well as loads of BTT electronics plus lots lots more but most can be utilised on any printer)..

I'm my search I cannot find a corexy that uses MGN12H rails and Nema17 motors for all axis, does anyone know of one? 

I would really appreciate some assistance, advice, guidrnce, sense, etc, I'm at my whits end!! 

Thanks

8 hours ago, Graymattor said:

My biggest expense has been the genuine hiwin MGN12H linear rails, 4x 500mm and 1 x 380mm, and 4x superspeedy nema17 LDO motors (as well as loads of BTT electronics plus lots lots more but most can be utilised on any printer)..

I'm my search I cannot find a corexy that uses MGN12H rails and Nema17 motors for all axis, does anyone know of one? 

As a starting point in your search I would suggest looking into @Ducky4546 and his Trident/2.4 MGN12 Gantry Mod. This doesn't address the Z axis but for a Trident you would still need one more MGN12 rail (6 in total) and for a V2.4 you would need 7 rails in total. From my understanding, the MGN12 rails for the Z axis wouldn't have any advantage over MGN9 as these rails are never under high forces/speeds and are already very stable since they are spread so far apart.

On 9/26/2023 at 7:41 AM, atrushing said:

As a starting point in your search I would suggest looking into @Ducky4546 and his Trident/2.4 MGN12 Gantry Mod. This doesn't address the Z axis but for a Trident you would still need one more MGN12 rail (6 in total) and for a V2.4 you would need 7 rails in total. From my understanding, the MGN12 rails for the Z axis wouldn't have any advantage over MGN9 as these rails are never under high forces/speeds and are already very stable since they are spread so far apart.

Thanks for the great information, that sounds like a very tempting possibility, certainly something to consider, i will have to look at a BOM and see how much each would cost to self source (kits in the UK are extremely expensive!!)

• 2 weeks later...

with the parts you have, you should have a look at the Rolohaun SimpleCore. You can easily adjust it to the rails and bearings you have. I made two and love them. 
The Discord is Rolohaun3D and you will find any amount of help. There are also some YouTube videos you can check out. 
I found this printer easy to build and the performance is great. 

On 10/11/2023 at 3:30 AM, MrBean2 said:

with the parts you have, you should have a look at the Rolohaun SimpleCore. You can easily adjust it to the rails and bearings you have. I made two and love them. 
The Discord is Rolohaun3D and you will find any amount of help. There are also some YouTube videos you can check out. 
I found this printer easy to build and the performance is great. 

Thanks, I've been on the Rolohaun discord for a while but for some reason I never spotted the simplecore! I've had a look and it looks like a great and simple corexy, with a lot of potential.. 

The simplecore's you have are they the belt version? I thought the belt Z looked great (possibly tricky to set up), but looks as though the new version  now has Z lead screw, has this been a positive change? 

Will be doing some more research 👍