awful SS support

mbunjes

4 minutes ago, mbunjes said:

Thanks, I'll try orca. Damn, another program to learn.

I think you will be happy with it. Initially ga ve it a try, too lazy to learn, switched back to SS, got frustrated and ......

Been using Orcaslicer exclusively now - the learning curve was small. Mostly the same stuff as SS, just differently orientated.

Give it a good go - tweak it and you'll be happy with it

6 minutes ago, mbunjes said:

I'm trying it right now and I can't find the option to set the printing temperature.

On top there are 4 tabs.

Under the Prepare tab are all the settings concentrated on the left side.

As you read down the left from the top you see

1. Printer: Same as the printer setting son SS click the square with / icon on the left to edit

2. Filament: Set your temps by clicking the same icon as the print settings. Again, all the filament settings just like SS only in a different spot.

3. Process: Below that is all the speed, layer, etc, settings like SS.

Just now, mbunjes said:

But the supports are insufferable.

Orca slicer has better supports. I just found tree supports with PLA was a bit tricky to remove - but boy do they do the job well!

• Like 1

I like that Orca is all I need for printing. So nice to just click on the Device tab and be in the Mainsail interface. And as it is with most things... it takes some getting used to. Plus, the interface becomes increasingly easier to use with time.

• Like 2

Giving Orca another go now that the V0 is built. I stole a lot of settings I had tuned from the Trident and so far it's looking good. At the least, I'll try to make Orca my go-to for the V0 (and to train up the daughter on slicing processes).

I printed a calidragon after a first swipe at slicer settings based on my Trident SS settings and an input shaper run. It turned out really clean. I think I have some retraction settings to tweak; a bit of stringing--which could be from the filament as much as anything--and some little blobs at the end of the print. Zero ringing and solid layers with no vfas. It's a good start for a little printer I intend to use to make minis.

• Like 3

On 10/3/2023 at 4:17 PM, mbunjes said:

Thanks, I'll try orca. Damn, another program to learn.

Yeah I keep trying but the UI is just untenable to me. For something based on PrusaSlicer why did they have to change everything about the UI including removing the search functionality?

Or .. just go to PrusaSlicer and skip Cura ever again :)

I don't think the UI is that bad, I'm already getting used to it. But there are grey areas as well. I don't understand what's the use of being able to give your build plate a name. Or why the window is always called "untitled". I've tried everything to give it a name but to no avail. The missing search functionality is a shame.

13 hours ago, mbunjes said:

Or why the window is always called "untitled".

To change the name of the plate do the following:

Click in the bottom icon on the right:

image.thumb.png.19c84bddb28ec49d3b26f8bb7ec0d2f9.png

Enter the plate name you want:

image.thumb.png.05b89f65f6c9a11e6b0c763c64fd2d9e.png

And Whala - there it is

image.thumb.png.32a3dbdc202473004c399f9c9573797b.png

You can do this for multiple plates - Name them so when it is saved you know what is on the plate.  That way you can just load a plate in future e.g Stealthburner, V2,4 Accents 1, Trident motor drives, etc

• Like 1

I used SS when I got my first Voron. I appreciate what the author is doing and being a one man developer must be rough, but SS is now 2 major versions behind Prusaslicer and Prusaslicer just has too many good features to still use SS anymore. The only thing I wish PS did was have some of the per object settings like for doing flow tests that you can do in SS.

Edited by Poisson
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, atrushing said:

Prusa Slicer seems similar. I have a custom script that uses xdotool and xprop to display more details. If I save the current plate as a .3mf file then it will use that name in place of "* Untitled".

I see, thank you.

• Like 1

Like in most software, it must be saved to be given a designated name for the file in question.
Importing files have never and will never change such names, nor do I see why a change name should exist. When you just have to save the file?

Anyway, hope that clarifies the reason for that question guys.

Capture.PNG