Anycubic KobraMax to Trident w/ WP-DAKSH tool-changer

cjkennedy72

I am full of questions and ideas today, haha!

So, the Voron 2.4 build is basically finished. I am working on some chamber lights before I mount the side-panels and need to clean up the camera wiring... all minor things. I have everything for my Tronxy X5SA-Pro to VZbot-330 conversion here and I have printed all the parts except the AWD front motor mounts, since I just decided to go AWD thanks to @mvdveer's posts. It looks to be fairly straightforward. 

This brings me to my grand idea...

I am thinking I am going to convert my 400x400 KobraMax to a Trident inspired version. The primary differences appear to be that I have 2 4040s and 2 2040s to use for the vertical frame parts. I think if I treat the inner groove of these as if they were 2020s, it will work for all but the skirt and feet to lift it for mounting electronics, but I consider that a fairly minor issue. 

Then I saw this project: https://github.com/ankurv2k6/wp-daksh-toolchanger and it's built on a Trident. Hrmm... Any one tried this? Any thoughts? 

I looked at the clones of the E3D tool-changer and Jubilee, but with needing hotends and steppers, the costs start to get fairly high quickly (about $300 for the carriage with servo and 6 mounting plates). So, when I saw that the link above is all 3d-printed I was intrigued. 

What are your guys thoughts around this? A 400x400 trident with oversized vertical support and 6-extruder tool-changer setup? Am I nuts or a glutton for punishment?

I looked at the stl's and it looked like a modified sherpa-mini. I looked at a couple clone options for hotends, I have heaters and thermistors for 4-5, I haven't checked yet. I also know I have a couple of decent clones, meaning I have successfully printed with it, already. I figure somewhere around 3-400 for hotends, motors, etc....

Ambitious, absolutely... but why not go big... as they say. If I spend $500, its still seems faster and less wasteful than an ERCF setup in my opinion.

Edited by cjkennedy72
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Okay... I cheated and went with the cloned E3D Tool Changer from Funssor. I was able to get the hot end mount with/servo and 5 additional plates + V6 clone hot ends for about $380. However, this is gonna wait for the TronXY conversion to be completed first. I have a couple other toys I want to play with first... Rapido UHF, Apius Extruder, BIQU Hermit Crab CAN, AWD... Did I mention AWD... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2023 at 12:14 AM, cjkennedy72 said:

Okay... I cheated and went with the cloned E3D Tool Changer from Funssor. I was able to get the hot end mount with/servo and 5 additional plates + V6 clone hot ends for about $380. However, this is gonna wait for the TronXY conversion to be completed first. I have a couple other toys I want to play with first... Rapido UHF, Apius Extruder, BIQU Hermit Crab CAN, AWD... Did I mention AWD... 

Well you have inspired me. My next project was going to be a Tridex but a comedy of errors has made this a bit tricky. I ordered a 300 Trident kit, not a 250, then thought I could make it work by ordering a 350 frame kit. This was not the solution as the build plate is the issue. You need space on the sides of the plates for the toolhead to park without touching the build plate. Not going to order a 250mm build plate.

Going to build the 300mm Trident and do the WP-Daksh toolhead changer. Had a look at the video and I think it is achievable with what I already have. Had a look through my hotend drawer and I have 6 x V6 toolheads. The extruders are not orbiters as I thought but actually mini Sherpa's printed. Again I have enough gears to compile six, if I have to.

However, I am going to start with only 4 toolhead. The only problem is sourcing the magnets. (Neodymium Ring Magnets 11x5 with 5mm hole N52 and Neodymium 8x3 N52) The links in the BOM reverts to what I think is an Indian equivalent of Etsy or Aliexpress. . 

The Trident also need to be modified in order to free up all of the back gantry. Once I have all the parts (whenever that may be), I will post a build diary.

Good luck with the VZBot build

• Like 3