BTT PITFT 50 v 2.1 and Pi4+ display cable issues? Voron 2.4r2 build

SamppaD

Question

Hi. I finally got my BTT PI50 screen to mount with Pi4 and noticed a strange issue with new display cable. As you know original display cable is short, so i had a longer cable (100cm) that i used for Pi camera that I purchased some time ago. Cable is the same,just longer. To the issue...when connected and cable is not rolled in or folded screen works without issues,when cable is folded in a roll or folded on itself,screen will not turn on or will turn on with artifacts on screen.I checked that cable is inserted in to ports correctly,cleaned connectors and cable with a alcohol and it didn't  resolve this issue. To me it looks like electronics interfering,cable is not protected to prevent issues like this or cable is defective? Has anyone experienced this issue? I have no spare cable to test to confirm this assumption,can someone test this? Here is video of the issue..

3 answers to this question

Hi. That is my intention to replace the cable,however there is no 15 pin 1mm pitch FFP cable available in Finland,so i ordered from China. I posted this here to see if others have similar issues with FFP cables.  I found out that FFP cable is not protected against electrostatic interference,thinner the cable more electrostatic interference,so when I start doing electronics i have to pay attention to this cable routing. I ordered a thicker cable 0,15 to replace this cheap 0,1mm thick cable.Lets hope parcel arrives faster then usually.

Got the new cable,issue is almost gone. So its a cable issue. With a new cable i can get mild interference by  rubbing the cable between my fingers. New cable is much better, protective film is thicker and i added a additional capton tape to it on both sides  to try reduce the issue. I think that this solution is the best that can be achieved with FFP cables.  It should be nice if this display had a standard  connector to be connected with proper cable.

Edited by SamppaD