GT2 Belt Tension Meter

YaaJ

I found this tool very useful as a starting point, and pretty accurate. After I calibrated it "the alternate way" (a weight attached to the belt), got 2.1 exactly after the belts were tuned using the Android app.

A trick : AFAIK, the alloy doen't matter. Most iron alloys have the same elasticity ; the difference is in the yield limit. Therefore stainless or not shouldn't matter. And at worst the instrument can be recalculated, or a lookup table can be made after applying various weights to a belt.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2023 at 3:25 AM, YaaJ said:

Did you try this tool ?

Should be listed in the essential tools section of ANY Voron build - Printed it as soon as I saw the post last months and retuned all printer belts. Most were spot on from using the previous tensioning tool but this just seems more "scientific" 🙂

Cool looking tool... Guess I am old-school... I used my tuner which I also use with guitars and wind instruments to get everything to ~110Hz. 

I am thoroughly entertained by the songs my printer plays when it is printing arcs... I keep telling my wife I need to record it and make an album... need a name for it though...

"The Plastic Album" in honor of the Beetles' "White Album" maybe?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I designed a compact meter that works similar.  I wanted to use fewer parts that have to be ordered, and more parts that I could print myself.

Mine uses a small rubber band in the back instead of a spring,  and requires one 608 2rs bearing.  It has 3 printed parts.

Exploded_200.thumb.png.be7fec4f43f395ab3baa6c71118bb1e2.pngGT2MeterV4_194.thumb.png.fd0191b7f89a8b7ad46c327005adf1d8.png

It's pretty compact.  About the size of a business card, and you can use different length/thickness rubber bands to kinda fine tune it.

The little spool that the rubber band wraps around just presses into the back.  A drop of super glue will keep it from ever coming out.

https://www.printables.com/model/679164-gt2-6mm-and-9mm-belt-tension-meter

• Like 4
  • Voron FTW! 1

The hardest part of putting it together is fishing the rubber band through the little slot in the lever arm.

rubber-band.thumb.webp.66ad61b3f28ae6b986ac4f6160b414d5.webp

The long, thin rubber band I used was routed through the lever arm twice.  With it,  the meter shows #2 on a belt that I previously tuned to 140hz using the Spectroid app from the google play store.

IMG_20231212_203553135.thumb.jpg.1414c775909bb005dcc4a5168b80d009.jpg

Edited by ken226
  • Like 3