2 Mains Power Switches

Squibo

I'm not great with anything but basic wiring, so Is it safe to have 2 power switches in line, I all ready have the "standard" power lead and switch panel, everything is wired up and works fine, but I really want this, though not enough to rewire the mains power section, I have already started trying to mod a 250mm version but thought I should check before i put too much work into it.

Is there anything wrong with having a "main" power switch at the rear and then this a sudo on/off or non approved emergency stop where I can actually reach it in a hurry?

Edited by Squibo
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, claudermilk said:

Aside from the frustration factor it will eventually introduce, I don't think so. What printer was it Nero "reviewed" that had two power switches? That was frustrating for him and comedy gold for us.

I was thinking more of is it ok to leave the rear one on all the time and use the side switch day to day?

• Like 1

I've wired one in the front panel, it's a little bulky but it's something I already had. I hated the idea of having to reach around the printer to turn it off. It's wired in series with the rear switch, if you like I can help wire that switch. I make you a diagram of how to wire it. 

IMG_1747.thumb.JPG.eed9c311d49ebe5fc1a4abcb16588714.JPG

IMG_1748.thumb.JPG.9897be3885ea0b9eb33c79be16ce9502.JPG

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PFarm said:

I've wired one in the front panel, it's a little bulky but it's something I already had. I hated the idea of having to reach around the printer to turn it off. It's wired in series with the rear switch, if you like I can help wire that switch. I make you a diagram of how to wire it. 

14 minutes ago, PFarm said:

Thanks for the offer, I'm ok with the wiring of the switch, but I'll save that offer of help for one of the hundred other questions I have as a pretty new owner.

Really I think I'm just being lazy, I have a 250 and its pretty cramped in the electronics compartment, the incoming mains section especially, I was thinking it would be easier to chop another switch into the current wiring then it would be to delete the original one and run a new set of wires, but in hindsight after asking the question, I'm not sure there is much in it.

I have neither the switch or a working side panel yet, so it is only theoretical at this point.

I like your colour scheme, I was flopping between yellow and orange, though orange won on the end.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...