Unboxing Mellow CNC Tap

PFarm

A shame that not much users of the switchwire have rigid bedplates. I have a printed base in asacf and need to preprint the rest in ASA or abs to do a test build with my can fd rrf36.

Unfortionally it doesn't work like it's supposed to. I wonder if it is possible to build some welded Aluminium parts to use the Mellow cnc tab on the switchwire.

On 9/16/2023 at 12:32 PM, PFarm said:

Probe accuracy is good I get a consistent 0.00500 performs QGL in 2 passes. Haven't done resonance testing yet. The only hiccup I had was my fault for not glueing the magnet properly it popped out and would let the assembly return to the downward position and the probe showed triggered before movement error. I high;y recommend it it a solid assembly with the LDO linear rail.

Are you sure you're writing that accuracy correctly? It should be more like 0.0005. 

My default optical probe gets a consistent 0.002 accuracy. 

0.005 is barely inside the minimum recommended. That's really bad for a tap upgrade. 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2023 at 10:30 PM, RopusLongus said:

A shame that not much users of the switchwire have rigid bedplates. I have a printed base in asacf and need to preprint the rest in ASA or abs to do a test build with my can fd rrf36.

Unfortionally it doesn't work like it's supposed to. I wonder if it is possible to build some welded Aluminium parts to use the Mellow cnc tab on the switchwire.

Have you tried the Tap on a Switchwire with solid bed (i know its not supposed to work on a standard Switchwire)? this is currently what i am looking at for my Switchwire conversion (it uses dual rails 140mm a part so should be quite rigid) i am looking at modelling a Switchwire Stealthburner support break to a CNC tap! it looks possible, but until its complete, printed and tried!! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nirin said:

Are you sure you're writing that accuracy correctly? It should be more like 0.0005. 

My default optical probe gets a consistent 0.002 accuracy. 

0.005 is barely inside the minimum recommended. That's really bad for a tap upgrade. 

Yes sorry it's a typo one zero is missing.

20 hours ago, Graymattor said:

Have you tried the Tap on a Switchwire with solid bed (i know its not supposed to work on a standard Switchwire)? this is currently what i am looking at for my Switchwire conversion (it uses dual rails 140mm a part so should be quite rigid) i am looking at modelling a Switchwire Stealthburner support break to a CNC tap! it looks possible, but until its complete, printed and tried!! 

Im quite in the building process but my can bus board is troubling me. I got a Asa cf print special for the switchwire laying at home. I don't know if it is possible to adapt the Mellow cnc tap on it.

I will post a picture and a build diary when I'm done with the build of it.

Currently I'm looking for ABS/ASA GF from phaetus if it is usable to print the parts with it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2023 at 6:47 AM, BeerMedic522 said:

It takes a little bit of time but not difficult at all. I haven’t had any issues once the sensitivity was set.

I’ll have to give Mellow a look, not fond of my Chaotic CNC TAP, to me it’s too stiff with no adjustment. 

I just happen to have both side by side for comparison, and the Mellow CNC TAP is considerably stiffer than the ChaoticLab TAP out of the box. The Mellow is reportedly adjustable, however.  Another striking difference is the large difference in Y-axis depth... the ChaoticLab is far thinner.

• Like 2

@ChicagoKeri I have both as well. The Chaotic Lab uses an MGN7 versus the MGN9 that the printed and Mellow TAP use. 

I just pulled my 2.4 offline to do a refit as having printed over a thousand ASA/ABS parts has taken its toll on the bottom deck panel warping it to heck and back.

Right now I think I'm going to install the Mellow over the ChaoticLabs unit. The reason being that the Mellow uses the same sensor PCB combo as the Voron TAP.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious about the excess belt ends that normally are tidied with the part of the Tap that moves vertically. On the Tap I'm using, which is printed, I've removed the belt from the two tidies on the edge, as it seems to interfere with the vertical movement, which is the point of this design. As highlighted in this pic from the manual.

I can see on this CNC version, that the belt tidies appear to be on the actual fixed part attached to the X-Axis. This seems more sensible and wouldn't restrict the front's movement I'm guessing.

Or (from other tap users) this belt through these tidies on the printed version isn't really an issue?

image.png.2c225c6191de818f7327d383dfbd2bda.png

• Like 1