LDO Voron 0.2 S1 : Picobilical Mod

YaaJ

Hi,

Currently building a Voron 0.2 S1 LDO kit...

The kit came with the LDO Picobilical. I see no strain relief on the frame side (there's a printable one for the Mini Stealthburner).

Also, there's a mini hat for the Pi, that seems to breakout :

- 5V power
- SPI (integrated ADXL)
- serial (BTT SKR Pico)

This thing is undocumented...

The SPI cable is a tiny ribon cable.

AFAIK, ribon cables are not made to be quickly moved around, and the Molex connector with no strain relief on the frame side is probably not a great idea. Of course, I'm thinking of that after the frame was assembled (no preloaded nuts where they could be usefull !)

Is the reverse Bowden the strain relief ? Are there known mechanical issues with the LDO Picobilical ? (I know there was software ones with Pi 4 + SPI + ADXL , and as I'm using a Pi 4, I will probably break out a pair of USB ports and use my external Pico. Keystone adapters (USB and RJ45) will be my friends.

LDO kits are nice. But their documentation is a mess ! The information is all over the place, some 404 on their website), and doesn't even match the current Voron guide. Looks like it refers to commit 298d5a6

Here's the LDO wiring guide: https://docs.ldomotors.com/en/voron/voron02/wiring_guide_rev_a

Note this:

• Note the labelled ADXL port - this port is used for input shaping but should be left unplugged except for when you need to perform input shaper tuning.

I haven't gotten to the wiring part quite yet, but so far the docs have been ok. It is a bit scattered so takes some extra time digging through their site.

I know this guide and I hate it ! Fritzing-like schematics are the plague.

Moreover, it does't match the kit I received.

Here's the mini hat/shield/cape that came with the kit. At first glance it breaks out : SPI for the ADXL using a ribon cable (same connector on the toolhead PCB), 5V power input (from the picobilical, populated with a beefier step-down MOSFET than the SKR Pico one), Serial Rx/Tx (I havn't been using USB for years, serial only, Klipper or Octoprint. I'm happy with this breakout board, this time won't have to make my own !)

(yes I know, the ferules have to be trimed, and the JST has to be re-crimped : it's a old salvaged shielded audio cable for cable management previsualization)

Will probably make a strain relief : just a new top panel to design and print.

(also modding other things, reason why this build takes a lot of time !)

/!\ [WARNING] the PCB on the GPIO is flipped 180° ; POWER SHOULD COME FROM THE TOP (of course...) /!\

20230821_035931.jpg.4f0bc41e0605e937a3a97f58cdcafa71.jpg

Edited by YaaJ