Greetings from the "Gong"

Pauly

Wollongong, about 80ks (50 miles for those of you with imperial taste) south of the very much more well known Sydney, Australia. A pretty cruisy place along the coastline with great beaches and surf.

Anyone who follows cycling, might be a little more familiar with the name. Wollongong hosted the UCI World Road Cycling championships last September. My office is right near the finish line, so I had a great week of watching it! The attached photo is of the local small boat harbour only a stones throw from my office near the beach.

I'm an IT geek that has been a very keen woodworker and DIYer for most of my adult life. 

My first printer was an Anycubic Vyper, which I use to make templates and other jig fixtures for my woodworking. Some of the projects require templates that a 250 x 250 bed can't accomplish without making in parts, so I looked around at larger volume options. I came across one of Thomas Sanladerer's excellent videos on the Voron 2.4 and decided that one of these machines was for me.

I'm very technical, but this is my 1st printer build, so enjoying it like my first Mechano set when I was a kid. I'm building a "modded from the get go" 2.4R2, as with the timing of my kit purchase, some great improvements have been let out into the wild. So I've jumped straight to a setup with canbus and tap.

I'm currently up to the XY gantry on my 2.4R2. There's some excellent resources out there on youtube etc that I've had the benefit of utilising. Of the vids detailing Canbus, most seemed to be focused on the print head and config. I was a bit lost on the control end of the equation: the connections between the Pi, Octopus and U2C board. Some searches on this sort of thing, brought me to the TeamFDM site. So here I am!

I may be an IT geek, but Discord is something I'm not totally up to speed on. Forums, I know better. There's a wealth of knowledge and a very helpful community I've seen. Hoping all these amazing resources get me on my way before the next King's coronation. (we still have ties to the English monarchy here in Australia. Although one benefit is that I had the "King's birthday" public holiday just this Monday past. It used to be the Queen's birthday, but with the change in order in England, it's now King's bday. And it wasn't hers, or is it now his, actual birthday date. Go figure!)

Peace out.

Pauly.

Belmore-sunrise.jpg

• Like 1
  • Voron FTW! 1

A very welcome Pauly from a fellow Ozzy. I know Wollongong well - a beautiful piece of the country. If I may ask where did you get the parts/kit for your printer from. My go to for self sourcing is local nuts and bolts and aluminium suppliers. Although the amount of 3d printing suppliers here in Oz is getting more, we still don't have the choice of our American or European counterparts. I have now build 7 Vorons, 4 self sourced and 3 kits from Formbot. Also have a Voron Micron (mini 2.4) kit from LDO ordered through Fabreeko which seems a much better quality. It is just the cost of postage that gets me.

Would love to follow your build and if you are so inclined, please consider sharing this in a build diary

Sure you will find the help you need here in this forum, and we may pick your brain on some IT related issues.

Welcome again.

1 hour ago, mvdveer said:

where did you get the parts/kit for your printer from

I sourced the kit from 3D Bro, based in Sydney. It's a Magic Phoenix kit. Well packaged and organised. Very happy.

Most parts I've printed with my Vyper as I built a cabinet for it ages ago. So ABS prints have been more successful than not. I not so satisfied with the tap main body parts that came off, as the start of the holes was a bit messy on the bed. So have just ordered some SLS printed parts from aliexpress. I was considering the chaoticlabs cnc tap, but ended up buying a tap kit and tried printed.

I replaced the supplied mgn9 rails for the Y axis, with fermio branded ones from Unique prints, as I thought the supplied ones were a little sticky, even after cleaning.

As per your advice, I'll update my build in the diary.

11 minutes ago, Pauly said:

chaoticlabs cnc tap,

I installed this on all my Vorons with TAP and have not looked back. Great quality and accuracy. (Got them from Uniqueprints). Had a problem where magnets dislodged on the printed TAPs. 

24 minutes ago, Pauly said:

3D Bro, based in Sydney.

Have bought quite a few parts from them. Only time they let me down was when I ordered some Revo Obxidian nozzles which showed stock but was not available and had to be refunded.  Other stores that I can recommend is dremc store and PhaserFPV. Filament I mostly get from Cubitech (e-Sun) but have ordered some ASA from X3D. (Not tried as yet) Recently ordered some sparkle ABS from 3dBro and must say it prints well. Used to use a local supplier near me, but his prices for pickup are about 20% more expensive than the other online stores (which includes postage). 

Happy building and printing from South-Eastern Melbourne.

Welcome to the forum. Looks like a really nice area there.

I was able to attend the Tour of California stage when it was nearby me in Long Beach. That was a ton of fun and it's amazing how darn fast those guys go; kind if puts to rest any thought of me cycling at anything near what could be called "quick."

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/15/2023 at 11:08 PM, claudermilk said:

Welcome to the forum. Looks like a really nice area there.

I was able to attend the Tour of California stage when it was nearby me in Long Beach. That was a ton of fun and it's amazing how darn fast those guys go; kind if puts to rest any thought of me cycling at anything near what could be called "quick."

I have a friend from my school days who is a pretty quick amateur who rides in I think D grade competition I decided never to ride with him (he lives pretty far from me anyhow, so that's my excuse) as he'd drop me in about the first couple of minutes, even on a training ride. He was here for the worlds, and we agreed on how much of a huge step up again, these elites are. The eventual winner of the men's race, Remco Evenepoel from Belgium, was powering along at over 50kph (>30mph) near the end in a solo breakaway, after completing the 260k killer course. crazy stuff!