Mellow Halo Touchscreen

Hello Gentlemen,

I just treated myself with this little gadget, it doesn't improve the quality of the printing, nor the speed, but is very cool and i love it!!

Touchscreen with all the functions, responsive and fast, much better than the BTT Knomy for the same price.

Just wanted to share this. 

Halo-1.jpg

Halo-2.jpg

Halo-3.jpg

• Like 2

How many different things can it display?

I won't get it for myself because I already have more screens on my printer than I need, and rainbow barf+fan led pcb can give me all the info I need as well.

But it certainly looks more useful than the knomi one that can show like...three things or whatever. Though I do doubt the usefulness of it being touch

@7milesup Yes the fan still behind the lcd, all working, but i have some doubt about the air flow efficiency.

I bought id directly from the Mellow store, it arrived in 5 days, a miracle basically, but they are very good, you can also find it on Aliexpress of course 

• Like 1

@sioux612 It display all the info you need,, temps of both Bed and extruder simultaneously, plus cpu temp and %load.

You can pre-heat both extr. and bed, it works well and is in sync with the other screen if you have one.  

Manage files, it manage the extrusion if you want, plus other functions like connections and network.

the touch screen is ok when the printer is idle, after that, no way you can use it, and no need to.

Is a lot for such a small screen, as i said, it does nothing useful, is just cool to have it on the printer.

The Knomi is basically a screen with a few GIF on called by the functions, nothing interactive as this one.

All in all, i would say that if you have a "headless" printer, at least you can see what's going on without having to access to your Pc or phone.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The docs are on their GitHub, you will find the Stl files to print the extruder front too.

Is well documented, but frankly.... after trying it, don't know if it worth the effort.

you will find it useful only if your printer doesn't have a screen.

But this is just my opinion.

1 hour ago, Manny said:

The docs are on their GitHub, you will find the Stl files to print the extruder front too.

Is well documented, but frankly.... after trying it, don't know if it worth the effort.

Iʻll go check it out...thank you!  I do have a BTT screen on both my 2.4 & Ender Switchwire.  Iʻll weigh out the functionality vs. coolness in deciding to upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed a HALO on my Voron and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed. It all somehow has the impression that it was thrown onto the Market unfinished.
Basically, I think the Part is great, the installation into the Wifi worked without any problems and the graphic resolution is great. What I don't understand, however, is what advantage it should have to put a ribbon cable from HALO on a circuit board in order to then adapt it to normal cables, there is no space for it in a Stealthburner with a PCB. Also, the extremely poor documentation doesn't explain how to use the white and yellow wires. On the HALO board there are solder terminals for plus and ground, I soldered cables directly here and save myself the extra board, it works great. Points that could still be improved:
- In standby, the temperature of the hotend, heatbed, CPU and CPU load is displayed. Who cares about the CPU on a display on the Toolhead??? It would make more sense to have the option to display one of the temperatures configured in the Mainsail, for Example the Chamber
- During printing it would be useful to display M117 messages.
- After printing, a "pop-up message" is displayed that only goes away manually by touching it, it's annoying and can't be turned off. Even a new start of printing does not make the message disappear.
- The screen saver/screen off function is a joke, max time to switch off 60 sec. and it will be turned off even during active printing. The display should be on while printing and turn off after X time when the print is finished.
- There is a menu page "Print Files" what should it be good for? In any case, files are not displayed.

I hope there will soon be a comprehensive firmware update for the HALO in order to be able to use the potential of the display, the Documentation should also be completed so that you also know how to use all the promised functions, e.g. for checking the filament you will find zero info.

Actually, I wanted to equip all my Vorons with the HALO, but I'm still waiting for what's happening in terms of firmware. Maybe Mellow should think about an open source firmware, then the community can help there.

• 3 months later...
On 6/9/2023 at 11:03 AM, Manny said:

Hello Gentlemen,

I just treated myself with this little gadget, it doesn't improve the quality of the printing, nor the speed, but is very cool and i love it!!

Touchscreen with all the functions, responsive and fast, much better than the BTT Knomy for the same price.

Just wanted to share this. 

Halo-1.jpg

Halo-2.jpg

Halo-3.jpg

Can you share the house stl, i use the the one from printables and the hole is to small

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/18/2023 at 6:19 PM, Manny said:

Hi Manny,

I checked out the Mellow-3D Github for Halo but I couldn't find any references to Stealthburner modded face plates to suit the Halo Screen. They have one on their Ali-Express site that they are calling their Hollow design and it looks cool. The only thing is they decided to spray paint it...?!?Mellow-Voron-2-4-Trident-lightweight-Front-Cover-SLA-Light-curing-Paint-Process-For-3D-Printer.thumb.webp.b10f53653cb038979a3d287915581368.webp

I would love to be able to find the .stl for this so I can print it in Pa6+GF in either black or red. If anyone comes across it could you let me know.

Please and Thank you.

3 hours ago, mvdveer said:

I thinks this is it.

Oh wow,

Thats pretty much it. I will look into wheather the Halo screen and theKnomi screen dimentions are the same. Then work on getting rid of the Hex pattern on the face.

Either way, that is an awesome lead. Thank you so much...

• Like 1