Hello from croissantland

val

Hi everyone,

I'm new to 3D printing, very excited, and I'm gonna start strong with a voron 2.4.

I'm not overconfident in myself, as I have nothing except a practical mind and a hunger for building stuff. But from what I've read I believe I can be confident in the voron community's support and help.

So thanks in advance for not laughing to much at the dumb questions I'll no doubt ask, for forgiving my lack of 3D printing notions and vocabulary... I'm in it for the fun of it as well as the challenge, and who knows... Maybe more as my adventure goes on.

Cheers !

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum!

Starting with a V2.4? That's SERIOUSLY jumping in at the deep end. Usually it's recommended to start with something a little easier (I started with a Prusa Mini+ kit myself, then immediately started on my Trident). There's plenty of knowledgeable folks around here to assist with any questions you will surely have.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, claudermilk said:

Welcome to the forum!

Starting with a V2.4? That's SERIOUSLY jumping in at the deep end. Usually it's recommended to start with something a little easier (I started with a Prusa Mini+ kit myself, then immediately started on my Trident). There's plenty of knowledgeable folks around here to assist with any questions you will surely have.

To be honest I'm still debating with myself about a trident and a prusa. But I don't like how prusa didn't prepare for the mk4's release (I'd have to wait 3 months if I ordered it now), it seems a bit on purpose, to build hype or something.

But the trident sure seems easier to build, and plenty challenging for me.

3 hours ago, val said:

But the trident sure seems easier to build,

Welcome to the forum. The trident is certainly an easier build than the 2.4. But if you take your time and don't rush, either is achievable. Your greatest asset will be your "practical mind" And , there is this forum to help.

Welcome again

• Like 2

Yummm, croissants....sorry! Welcome aboard!

The only dumb question is the one not asked, you will find lots of helpful people here, and no one will laugh at you (with you perhaps, but never at you).

Sounds like you have a realistic attitude so I am sure that you will succeed.  A build diary is a great way to interact and get support....and we also just love them.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, val said:

To be honest I'm still debating with myself about a trident and a prusa. But I don't like how prusa didn't prepare for the mk4's release (I'd have to wait 3 months if I ordered it now), it seems a bit on purpose, to build hype or something.

But the trident sure seems easier to build, and plenty challenging for me.

I doubt that they deliberately shorted stock. I believe they said they had 200 units in stock upon release. Those apparently sold out within minutes. They probably failed to anticipate how much pent-up demand for an update there was. Supply chain issues hit them just like everyone else. Even when I ordered my Mini+ kit, there was a several week backlog--and it got worse for awhile after I got my order in.

For my own journey, I started with a Prusa Mini+ kit to get my feet wet and determine just how far down the rabbit hole I wanted to go. Almost immediately upon completing that build and getting it printing I started planning and purchasing my self-sourced Trident. The experience, short as it was, with the Mini served me well in the Trident build.

For Trident vs V2.4, yes the Trident is an easier build. There's one fewer motor, and the moving bed on lead screws is easier to deal with than the flying gantry. Functionally they are very similar; the gantries are basically the same, just the Trident's is upside-down from the V2.4 and doesn't move. The nice thing about that is many mods work for both.